after years of watching ufc

I can emulate Nick Diaz's joint-smoking abilities.

My UFC instinct kicks in at the worst times.

Like, I'll be on Xbox and some kid will kill me and then before I know it, I've uppercut the cat through a window. Again.

TS, you deserve to be ridiculed for this. ....But so do I as I'm about to join in with you. I'm 40 years old and never trained in my life. My 20 and 23 year old nephews recently decided they were going to give me the "old man" treatment and try to rough me up a bit (they know nothing about MMA but they wrestled in an elite HS program). I subbed both of them multiple times in immediate succession (guillotine, RNC, arm-bar, and an arm-bar that transitioned to a reverse triangle.) It's not that I'm any good at BJJ (never went to a single class) but I've watched these moves for two decades and apparently that's good enough against someone who has no idea they're coming.

Why would anyone ridicule you for this?

I wish more sherdoggers told stories about their fighting experiences.

I have been a bird watcher for years, I think it is time I got on the roof and tried out my 'wings' (you call them arms, but you aren't a bird watcher, so I'll let it slide). Be back in a bit after I do a few circles of the neighbourhood.

I have been a bird watcher for years, I think it is time I got on the roof and tried out my 'wings' (you call them arms, but you aren't a bird watcher, so I'll let it slide). Be back in a bit after I do a few circles of the neighbourhood.

fuck birds, you dont watch birds like you watch ufc fights !

birds are boring

true, i do train at my boxing gym, which is always empty. no one is there, maybe 1 or 3 kids, mostly just me hitting the bags and doing some hand speed drills or circling in the ring lol, doing footworks, i like to think im roy jones or floyd

It's good. Learning to control your own body is very important, so training alone is great IMO.

I'm the kind of freak who wants to have that extra edge:p

Call it egoism if you will. But I allways want to train more than others to be better:)

And I think that what you do by yourself puts you ahead.

Why would anyone ridicule you for this?

I wish more sherdoggers told stories about their fighting experiences.
Fight stories are usually quite fun. As long as they're not the usual "I touched all three of them with teh jab".

I've watched every episode of House MD, and I can diagnose all your medical problems once my hospital instincts kick in.

Have you watched much NBA? Then why weren't you playing solid D instead of fouling him?!

Fight stories are usually quite fun. As long as they're not the usual "I touched all three of them with teh jab".

Hehe, I've been in many real fights and I can't remember ever throwing a jab that stuck in my mind.

The fights were mostly over quickly, sometimes even with unofficial holds:)

I got a few guys cry uncle by wrist squeeze. I can't blame them I do have a sick and very painful grip.

I don't remember many details, because I was usually pis*ed of and had a tunnel vision.

I once got a guy with a gun to back down, because of my tunnel vision. Sh*t, I hope it wasn't a real gun:D

Here is the story:

Me and my buddies (metal guys) came to a city where there are Bosnians known to have fights and sh*t with metal guys. I don't know what's that about, but that's how it is.

And the first f*cking time we got there we went to McDonalds and there were guys in there smiling at us and one of them asked if we had cigarettes. We said: "No", because none of us smoked. Then he said: "Hey, do you have smokes now?" And he showed us a gun under the table. That gestures pissed me of so completely that I just saw the guy with the gun and I started to threaten him that I will kick their as*es, if I ever see them again and I used a lot of swear words and my buddies were even affraid of me, because I lost it and I wanted to kill the guy with my own hands. I seriously felt like I can kill him before he kills me with the gun. I was prepared to use tables and everything if he actually drew the gun.

The guys didn't say a word, they were all red too and they left and I never saw them again.

I once had to use my leather jacket (sometimes it pays out to be a metalhead:D) to defend myself from a knifer before I KOed the f*cker. I thought about cutting his throat with his own knife, but I stopped myself. I don't know how, because I was not myself, I was so pissed off. I'm glad I managed it though.

Fucking knifers. You can't expect a street fight in Slovenia anymore without f*cking knifers. It used to be cleaner, but now you need to know how to defend yourself against weapons too.

I barely forgave a buddy of mine, who stabbed another buddy in stomach with a short knife, because he beat up his annoying brother. The buddy who was stabbed, actually appologised after he came back from the hospital for attacking my buddies brother an there was no lawsuit, but I still gave the guy hell for using a knife.

I still talked to them, but stopped hanging out with them though. They got into drugs too after that and the guy who got stabbed (who I grew up with and was like my older brother until he started doing stupid sh*t) died from OD. Some say that he got killed by some dealers, but I don't know, because I stopped hanging out with them, when they got into drugs and started to act weird.

Did anyone of you have to deal with a guy who had a weapon? I would think Americans have to deal with this problem quite often since guns are legal and stuff. Huh?

anyone thinking they're going to learn to fight from watching tv is getting set up for a really rude awakening. Anyone can get the edge on creampuff. Face up to a real fighter and your world is going to shit.

wow...this forum really has gone downhill. much like the ufc.

kiki you've never been in any confrontation in your life, like are you ever not full of shit lmao.

also fuck off TS.

I started grappling 7 years ago. When I was a really fresh whitebelt, I would catch other whitebelts with guillotines, RNCs and simple stuff like that. I guess they didn't watch much MMA before deciding to try grappling. I remember in one of my very first practices, after a few weeks of training, I swear to God I got another whitebelt in a gogoplata. After that, he said he needed a break and didn't want to roll anymore. He was so discouraged because everyone on the mat was so much more experienced and he was walking into submission after submission. I didn't say anything, but I was thinking:
"Hell, son, I just learned that you can choke people with your chin from watching Nick Diaz submit Takanori Gomi at Pride 33."

True story.

That being said... I think a couple of months of actual training is better than years of watching MMA. When you watch really inexperienced grapplers, they lose position so often just by falling over, because they have no base. You don't learn base from watching TV.

Now I know the initial post was a troll job. But some responses confirming it's sentiment I'm not convinced are trolls. So I shall relay a quick story.

I was a BJJ whitebelt. Never got past BJJ white belt. Trained for about 9 months. Anyway, there was a guy at my work who was self taught. He had training manuals with more moves than I ever knew. He studied fight footage and ordered training videos. After years of practice he had designated himself approximately a brown belt. I have to credit him that in doing drills, he certainly did know tons and tons of submissions I had never even seen before. Anyway, he also taught classes (not like at a studio or anything, just anyone who wanted to learn they could come over and he would teach them). So one day the other guys at my work tell me I should come to his class because he is "hella legit." So I go, he is teaching me some stuff and then it is the end of the "class" and it is time to spar. I tapped him in about 30 seconds. Repeatedly.

I've done boxing for years and I've had numerous friends ask me to teach them. In the past I use to oblige, but I eventually realized something. They would come over for a lesson and I'd start teaching them the stance, and the forward and sideways movement and have them drilling on those things and eventually they'd say, "No, I don't want to learn all this, I just want to learn to box." It was then I realized they wanted to learn only how to throw a punch. I can teach them how to throw a punch, but that isn't boxing. And no matter how great you get at throwing a punch, it isn't going to help you against a good boxer unless you know how to box.

I find the same to be true of people whom believe they are learning submission fighting or MMA from watching it, or reading a magazine etc. But I've had people ask white belt BJJ me to teach them BJJ as well and the same phenomenon happens. They don't want to learn BJJ, they want to learn how to arm bar. And that's what those instructional videos usually teach "here are a bunch of submissions." But listen to the corner men and the coaches whom are always screaming "Position before submission." That "position part" is the hard part to learn. Submissions are easy. Being good at getting position takes thousands of hours of practice and you can't learn it by watching MMA.
Solid post. Sadly, I must deduct a point for not including Sherdog memes like "do you trane UFC brah"

9/10

It sounds like to me that you fought under the right circumstances. This is key to being a champion.

Kudos.

Back