after years of watching ufc

AlcYunc.gif

TS striking technique

242671_c34b239e460c41dd580ad306ac7eed3a_large.jpg

I used to tease roosters as a kid too:)

Pretty intense when the fuckers start to chase you. And you don't want them to claw you. My grandfather's arm swelled like crazy when a rooster clawed him.

Well, they are walking on cow sh*t a lot... So...

Agree 100%, I've been watching for a long time as well, and at this point I feel as if I can emulate the footwork of Shayna Bayzler, the power of Tecia Torres, and the sub skills of Kane Velaskes.

Damn son, all of Downsview Park must be shook.

I've watched so much ufc I'm basically a bjj black belt.

^ Damn that Oldboy gif is on point.

But ya I'm with OP, traneing UFC is for tryhards. Do u even watch bro??

I'm from the great white north, aka greatest nation ever created, aka hot up in the 6, aka home of the greatest rapper in history, drake

Hahahaha...I shoulda known with a Raptor Av...I'm not gonna hate, you guys are like our little brother!!! lol...I love Canada, brought me the sport that put me through college (hockey), which brings me back to my original knock on basketball.

I find getting a grasp on techniques through observation is way more efficient once you've had all the basics down and maintained that for a long while. I only need to see moves once, and maybe do it myself once if it's a lengthy grappling set up/chain but if it's striking. I see it then I can do it, unless it's something I see no reason for like a Butterfly Kick as opposed to a Tornado Kick or Rolling Thunder.

Seriously, early 2000 i was training sub wrestling and i had watched many UFC videos, just by watching i learned ALOT and managed to get many subs in. RNC and arm triangle are still my best moves.

Peace!

You can certainly learn enough techniques that you might be able to apply them to someone who has no training at all.

It's not going to make you a killer. And even with "simple" techniques, I guarantee you are doing the wrong.

When I started grappling in 1998 or so, I watched UFC tapes before every practice and I certainly had a larger arsenal of moves than other newbs. Didn't really make me "better" because the ability to control your body and be aware of your positioning doesn't come from TV, it comes from practice.

I haven't grappled for a long time, but I feel like I have picked up a few new moves and transitions from watching UFC that I would be able to apply if I needed to.

You're playing too many video games, Mr Call of Duty.

I remember RNCing someone in 8th grade, until he passed out. Thats with zero knowledge of MMA. I just got in a lot of fights because I was dogshit ugly with buck teeth and a bad attitude.

I think some things come naturally to some of us, and its only improved through training. Its why certain fighters are considered prodigy's in MMA after only a few years training.

Hahahaha...I shoulda known with a Raptor Av...I'm not gonna hate, you guys are like our little brother!!! lol...I love Canada, brought me the sport that put me through college (hockey), which brings me back to my original knock on basketball.

I love you to, brother. Anyone that loves Canada is an A- level human being in my book.

Now I know the initial post was a troll job. But some responses confirming it's sentiment I'm not convinced are trolls. So I shall relay a quick story.

I was a BJJ whitebelt. Never got past BJJ white belt. Trained for about 9 months. Anyway, there was a guy at my work who was self taught. He had training manuals with more moves than I ever knew. He studied fight footage and ordered training videos. After years of practice he had designated himself approximately a brown belt. I have to credit him that in doing drills, he certainly did know tons and tons of submissions I had never even seen before. Anyway, he also taught classes (not like at a studio or anything, just anyone who wanted to learn they could come over and he would teach them). So one day the other guys at my work tell me I should come to his class because he is "hella legit." So I go, he is teaching me some stuff and then it is the end of the "class" and it is time to spar. I tapped him in about 30 seconds. Repeatedly.

I've done boxing for years and I've had numerous friends ask me to teach them. In the past I use to oblige, but I eventually realized something. They would come over for a lesson and I'd start teaching them the stance, and the forward and sideways movement and have them drilling on those things and eventually they'd say, "No, I don't want to learn all this, I just want to learn to box." It was then I realized they wanted to learn only how to throw a punch. I can teach them how to throw a punch, but that isn't boxing. And no matter how great you get at throwing a punch, it isn't going to help you against a good boxer unless you know how to box.

I find the same to be true of people whom believe they are learning submission fighting or MMA from watching it, or reading a magazine etc. But I've had people ask white belt BJJ me to teach them BJJ as well and the same phenomenon happens. They don't want to learn BJJ, they want to learn how to arm bar. And that's what those instructional videos usually teach "here are a bunch of submissions." But listen to the corner men and the coaches whom are always screaming "Position before submission." That "position part" is the hard part to learn. Submissions are easy. Being good at getting position takes thousands of hours of practice and you can't learn it by watching MMA.

Now I know the initial post was a troll job. But some responses confirming it's sentiment I'm not convinced are trolls. So I shall relay a quick story.

I was a BJJ whitebelt. Never got past BJJ white belt. Trained for about 9 months. Anyway, there was a guy at my work who was self taught. He had training manuals with more moves than I ever knew. He studied fight footage and ordered training videos. After years of practice he had designated himself approximately a brown belt. I have to credit him that in doing drills, he certainly did know tons and tons of submissions I had never even seen before. Anyway, he also taught classes (not like at a studio or anything, just anyone who wanted to learn they could come over and he would teach them). So one day the other guys at my work tell me I should come to his class because he is "hella legit." So I go, he is teaching me some stuff and then it is the end of the "class" and it is time to spar. I tapped him in about 30 seconds. Repeatedly.

I've done boxing for years and I've had numerous friends ask me to teach them. In the past I use to oblige, but I eventually realized something. They would come over for a lesson and I'd start teaching them the stance, and the forward and sideways movement and have them drilling on those things and eventually they'd say, "No, I don't want to learn all this, I just want to learn to box." It was then I realized they wanted to learn only how to throw a punch. I can teach them how to throw a punch, but that isn't boxing. And no matter how great you get at throwing a punch, it isn't going to help you against a good boxer unless you know how to box.

I find the same to be true of people whom believe they are learning submission fighting or MMA from watching it, or reading a magazine etc. But I've had people ask white belt BJJ me to teach them BJJ as well and the same phenomenon happens. They don't want to learn BJJ, they want to learn how to arm bar. And that's what those instructional videos usually teach "here are a bunch of submissions." But listen to the corner men and the coaches whom are always screaming "Position before submission." That "position part" is the hard part to learn. Submissions are easy. Being good at getting position takes thousands of hours of practice and you can't learn it by watching MMA.

This is good, only most people you would get into a street fight, dont have any martial arts training, so those multitude of subs would work extremely well.

TS, you deserve to be ridiculed for this. ....But so do I as I'm about to join in with you. I'm 40 years old and never trained in my life. My 20 and 23 year old nephews recently decided they were going to give me the "old man" treatment and try to rough me up a bit (they know nothing about MMA but they wrestled in an elite HS program). I subbed both of them multiple times in immediate succession (guillotine, RNC, arm-bar, and an arm-bar that transitioned to a reverse triangle.) It's not that I'm any good at BJJ (never went to a single class) but I've watched these moves for two decades and apparently that's good enough against someone who has no idea they're coming.

lol huge if true

Watching a lot of fights is a very smart way to learn.

Of course you need to practice too. With other people and alone. I think it's very important to work on your fighting skills alone a lot, because you can practice when you feel like it and can practice immediately without having to go to the gym or call a training buddy. I love training by myself because I can really go hard and think things trough. So when I spar and grapple I always kick as*:) I can't allow myself to lose, so I can't let someone beat me in training:) It takes a lot of home work to stay ahead of others.

I think that those who will not believe you that you learned MMA from watching fights are crazy.

true, i do train at my boxing gym, which is always empty. no one is there, maybe 1 or 3 kids, mostly just me hitting the bags and doing some hand speed drills or circling in the ring lol, doing footworks, i like to think im roy jones or floyd

Back