Abusive families, do you talk to yours?

Steveston

Lion's Den
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mine has a long history almost none of us talk to each other ... whats your experiences, do you talk to yours?

Yeah my dad was abusive but he went to jail for it and everything, got out and went to counseling and turned over a new leaf so everyone forgave him.

There was always a slight distrust lingering though. Like we loved him but not as much as we loved Mom, she never abused us.

Yeah my dad was abusive but he went to jail for it and everything, got out and went to counseling and turned over a new leaf so everyone forgave him.

There was always a slight distrust lingering though. Like we loved him but not as much as we loved Mom, she never abused us.
Sorry to hear that flipside he got help and didn't keep doing his behaviour. How long was his sentence?

I live down the street from my parents and have dinner with them once or twice a month. I talk to them on the phone about once a month as well along with exchanging emails with them. I don't speak with my two sisters though. Never got along with the oldest one and haven't seen or spoken to her in probably six years or so. I get along with the other one but just don't stay in touch with her. Had Thanksgiving with her two years ago. I kind of keep in touch with what they are up to via my mother.

Sorry to hear that flipside he got help and didn't keep doing his behaviour. How long was his sentence?
I want to say about 6 months or so. I think I was 8 or 9 so I may be remembering it wrong. But then even after he got out of jail he wasn't allowed to move back home until the social worker or court or someone gave him permission, so with everything together I think he was gone for over a year.

My elderly Mom was neglected damn near to death while living with my Sister. My other siblings didn't want to get involved....uh, we're not close anymore.

I could probably reach out more... just because I feel someone wronged me doesn't mean that I should also be a pos...

Nah, i wouldnt say i was abused as such, me and my dad had our very big problems when living together just me and him. Though hes mellowed out quite a lot, and our relationship has gotten better lately, we went to the track today actually. People can change i suppose. Depends on the depth of the abuse though.

My stepmother was verbally abusive throughout my childhood.

She can fuck herself. I haven't spoken to her or my biological father in 16 years.

Nothing of any value was lost.

I moved out right when I turned 19. We had a big ass fight during that and didn't talk for a couple years. Reconciled while I was with my first serious girlfriend, she helped keep the peace.

Shortly after that relationship ended there was another big fight, and we didn't talk for seven years. They tracked me down and asked me to come home and stay with them and go back to school.

I did, a year into that they threw me out on the street in a snow storm after another argument. That was over seven years ago now. Haven't spoken to them since and wont ever again. I'm out of forgiveness.

Childhood trauma is forever .... don't buy cookies as it is a slippery road to just wanting more

sometimes it is best to move on

I moved out right when I turned 19. We had a big ass fight during that and didn't talk for a couple years. Reconciled while I was with my first serious girlfriend, she helped keep the peace.

Shortly after that relationship ended there was another big fight, and we didn't talk for seven years. They tracked me down and asked me to come home and stay with them and go back to school.

I did, a year into that they threw me out on the street in a snow storm after another argument. That was over seven years ago now. Haven't spoken to them since and wont ever again. I'm out of forgiveness.
I reasonate with your story ... forgiveness isn't always the solution. Sometimes when i tell people i'm not close to mine i get judged, i get it but it is what it is. Gotta keep distance to keep my sanity.

Could you get into more detail? Don't have too.

Ehhh. Alcohol. Heroin. Abuse. Foster homes. Blah. Blah. Blah. You can't get caught up in this shit. It changed my life for both the good and the bad in many ways, some I probably can't even speak to as they're just part of who I am, but it does no one any good to hold a grudge and let things divide you. Forgive and move forward.

I didn't come from an abusive family, very dysfunctional but not abusive. My dad was a deadbeat, he died last summer. I hadn't talked to him in over 8 years, but I can tell you the feeling of guilt is hard to shake when you let that happen

Give them another chance, if you have the opportunity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back