5 X 5: Leg Overgrowth

where can i find info on such said 5x5 program?

Hey guys,

and my legs and ass are getting enormous - I've gone up two pant sizes!

I don't want to put on any more size and ideally I'd go back down the 2 sizes.

First off, good for you, wear some big boy jeans now. Second, never mention ever again how you wish you could fit into smaller pants. AND KEEP LIFTING.

first world problems, eh

^ how did you do that?

Second. Can you explain in simple English how the increment in weight works? I couldn't follow.

Add 2% each week to the Max weight you can lift?

sorry to bring back an old-ish thread

my problem is not that my legs are too big, but that I cant find dress pants big enough that still fit me properly, if the waist fits right, i cant sit down without pulling the pants up a bit to give some extra slack, if the legs fit ok, it all gets a bit baggy and sloppy

i think part of it is that I'm in the UK now and the cut of the pants here is a bit different that back in the states.

and i, by no means, have big thighs/ass.

especially to any of the guys in the UK, where do you get pants that fit?

my problem is not that my legs are too big, but that I cant find dress pants big enough that still fit me properly, if the waist fits right, i cant sit down without pulling the pants up a bit to give some extra slack, if the legs fit ok, it all gets a bit baggy and sloppy

i think part of it is that I'm in the UK now and the cut of the pants here is a bit different that back in the states.

Haha

f13
Strength/Conditioning & Large thigh pants

Find a tailor.

Whoever invented skinny jeans should be killed by bees

only squat once a week. do upper body twice

I tend to have similar problems except that I have a big head from too much reading.

Buying pants is a hassle.

Last edited:
I chose the Bill Starr program because it was designed with athletes in mind, I'm not ONLY interested in strength; I'm also a kickboxer and jiu-jitsu practitioner, and having monstrous legs/ass can be detrimental to my performance.

Could you guys recommend another program? Would WS4SB be a better fit potentially?

Monstrous legs + ass is a huge benefit in both of those sports.

^ not really the case.

^ not really the case.

Not as sure about kickboxing, but atleast with BJJ it's a trade off imo. my legs (thick and short) help me lock in armbars/omaplatas and things like that easier than most people, also seems to help me keep guard easier because it's easier to snake my legs back underneath someone to gain space. The trade off is that triangles SUCK on anyone bigger than me lol, as In I'm just not going to get them unless I'm just that much more experienced than them.

Do you even roll, bro?

Not really, although I've rolled a slight bit in the past.

Not as sure about kickboxing, but atleast with BJJ it's a trade off imo. my legs (thick and short) help me lock in armbars/omaplatas and things like that easier than most people, also seems to help me keep guard easier because it's easier to snake my legs back underneath someone to gain space. The trade off is that triangles SUCK on anyone bigger than me lol, as In I'm just not going to get them unless I'm just that much more experienced than them.

It's definitely false when it comes to kickboxing and it can be argued when it comes to BJJ (as you said, at best it is a trade-off). Either way, the statement "Monstrous legs + ass is a huge benefit in both of those sports." is definitely false.

There is a reason why you will not find any elite-level kickboxer with greater lower-to-upper body development (like you will in a lot of sprinters and jumpers, for instance). You will only find very few exceptions of kickboxers with "montrous legs", but a) it will always be accompanied by analogous upper-body mass, and b) they really are the exception in many ways (think of Mark Hunt). The reason for it is that the added power that derives from the extra lower-body mass simply doesn't make up for the disadvantages of fighting in a heavier weight class with shorter reach and worse endurance.

When it comes to grappling, it can be argued that upper-body strength is at least as important as lower-body strength and therefore upper-to-lower body mass being proportional is optimal.

Basically, "Monstrous legs + ass" add a lot of weight, which is a very significant factor in sports with weight divisions and the specific advantages gained by the extra lower-body weight need to be contrasted and compared with the disadvantages deriving from it. Unless of course if you never fight in official competition, in which case, sure, whatever.

You guys are pretty funny with your cute little butts.

Call me when you have a 37" waist and a 42" ass.

I have a 32" waist and a 42" ass. Do I win the thread?

Also, I feel I should note that I appear comparable in size to guys who fight at 145 (I walk around about 185, fought at 170). Although I can pretty easily overpower nearly everyone in the clinch and fighting for takedowns, a lot of that strength advantage goes away once we are on the ground, so I would say there's a certain amount of merit to limiting leg size for bjj/kickboxing.

Last edited:
I chose the Bill Starr program because it was designed with athletes in mind, I'm not ONLY interested in strength; I'm also a kickboxer and jiu-jitsu practitioner, and having monstrous legs/ass can be detrimental to my performance.

Could you guys recommend another program? Would WS4SB be a better fit potentially?

You'd have to have pretty damn big legs for that to happen, if one could even have to big of legs for combat sports, and so far I don't believe you do.

You'd have to have pretty
damn big legs for that to happen, if one could even have to big of legs
for combat sports, and so far I don't believe you do.

Define too big. 25 inches? 30 inches? 35 inches?

Back