5 X 5: Leg Overgrowth

Monstrous legs + ass is a huge benefit in both of those sports.

???

marcelo-garcia-ppopovitch.jpg

drysdale3.jpg

roger-gracie.jpg

Sure, there are some top guys with short/stocky body types and big legs, such as Galvao and Palhares, but they are by no means the majority.

Also, this thread brings the lulz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Define too big. 25 inches? 30 inches? 35 inches?

That's what I'm talking about. Besides being subjective I contend one's legs would have to be ridiculasly big which quit frankly is beyond what most guys are able to achieve.

That's what I'm talking
about. Besides being subjective I contend one's legs would have to be
ridiculasly big which quit frankly is beyond what most guys are able to
achieve.

I was actually asking you what you considered too big lol.

for me, too big is, i cant properly fit into a pair of off rack dress pants that the rest of the brits seem to be able to

for me, too big is, i cant properly fit into a pair of off rack dress pants that the rest of the brits seem to be able to

If you'd rather fit certain pants rather than have strong legs then just quit already. No one is making you do anything.

If you'd rather fit certain pants rather than have strong legs then just quit already. No one is making you do anything.

What do you consider too big? You never answered.

Because your question isn't valid. How tall is the person? Is their body fat high enough to adding excessive size. At what size does it affect each individual? I could go on...but no.

For me my legs will be too big when they start **** blocking me.

When it comes to grappling, it can be argued that upper-body strength is at least as important as lower-body strength and therefore upper-to-lower body mass being proportional is optimal.

Basically, "Monstrous legs + ass" add a lot of weight, which is a very significant factor in sports with weight divisions and the specific advantages gained by the extra lower-body weight need to be contrasted and compared with the disadvantages deriving from it. Unless of course if you never fight in official competition, in which case, sure, whatever.

yea, like I said. I know very little about kickboxing other than sparring haha. I haven't done much (if any) research on it. I guess part of it is how y'all are defining monstrous legs and ass lol. I didn't know y'all were meaning it in comparison to your upperbody, in which case yea. Upper body strength is incredibly important in BJJ. But having shorter stocky legs as well (i.e. me) plays into my game better (sweeps from guard, heavy top pressure for an armbar). But, it could also be said that I just ended up developing that game, BECAUSE that's what my build is...so oh well. lol.

"Designed with athletes in mind" is a farce unless the idea is it gives you more recovery time.

Big legs/ass will not hurt your performance unless you think stronger kicks, more strength in general, being harder to take down and being basically un-sweep-able "hurts your performance". Strong is strong.

Stronger kicks for sure, but also very freakin' tiring to be swinging your tree trunks around a lot.

You get used to it if you practice your kicks enough.

Nope, still at a disadvantage for cardio all else being equal.

BRB me being 155 pounds and 5'3" tiring out quicker than skinnier dudes with the same amount of training

This is why my previous MT kru said for my height, I should be like 125 lbs if I really wanted to be competitive (because of reach also). :icon_sad:

Even the stockiest MT fighters (Thais) don't have excessively big glutes and thighs (huge calves though).

Everything is a compromise, including the body. You simply cannot have 100% of everything. Got to pick your battles mayne.

I believe that the disadvantage cardio wise of large legs is only an issue at the highest levels of conditioning. Of which is not a problem for me as a recreational type MT guy. What I can do is wear my opponent down with very hard kicks. Guys don't like holding the pads for me and I barely get the required exercise (ladder kicks being the hardest) but I'm having a blast anyway. When I crank the intensityu down I get all the kicks just fine with 25+ years of heavy squating legs. I can still parallel squat over 400lbs for reps but you would never suspect that when I wear pants. Just another reason why I couldnt answer: How any inches is too big" question.

Back