5 X 5: Leg Overgrowth

.....Urge to shit-talk growing....

I didn't see you shit talking my erector pic in the pub...You can see pretty much all I've got to offer.

You always call me fat because I'm over 250 and I'm by no means "lean" but I sure as hell aint fat either.

Say it to my face.

I didn't see you shit talking my erector pic in the pub...You can see pretty much all I've got to offer.

You always call me fat because I'm over 250 and I'm by no means "lean" but I sure as hell aint fat either.

Say it to my face.

I know, I've never been serious. But, I want to continue this for awhile longer.

Fatty.

I know, I've never been serious. But, I want to continue this for awhile longer.

Fatty.

It's all good. I'm not a small guy and I know that. I won't see 220 again in the next 20 years that's for sure.

If I wanted to I could lose some bodyfat and get down to where I could compete at 242 but why. I'm healthy ~250, my bloodwork and physicals are solid, I feel good and I'm stronger where I'm at.

All these guys afraid to go up a pant size make me sick. Get bigger, get stronger, quit bitching.

And the wild redaxe disappeared into the shadows, never to be heard from in this thread again.

It's all good. I'm not a small guy and I know that. I won't see 220 again in the next 20 years that's for sure.

If I wanted to I could lose some bodyfat and get down to where I could compete at 242 but why. I'm healthy ~250, my bloodwork and physicals are solid, I feel good and I'm stronger where I'm at.

All these guys afraid to go up a pant size make me sick. Get bigger, get stronger, quit bitching.

Aren't you 255 ? Why don't you just cut for a meet and compete at 242 ?

Or switch to sweats and track pants. Which are fuggin' awesome.

Aren't you 255 ? Why don't you just cut for a meet and compete at 242 ?

Or switch to sweats and track pants. Which are fuggin' awesome.

I'm around 255. I float from 250-260 but I'm not interested in cutting weight.

I could diet a little bit off beforehand so that would probably leave to cut 10-15lbs if I wanted to get to 242. I'm not competing to break any kind of records or even get on a top 10, 20 or 50 list. So why do it? I compete because I like to not because I'm looking for records, at least not right now and won't be for the foreseeable future.

We have several strong guys that cut ~10-20lbs to make weight and they are always miserable. They rarely PR in comps when the cut, feel like shit the whole next day and subsequent days. I'm not interested that. If it's a couple pounds to make a weight class I'll take a shit before weigh-ins. Past that, I'm not interested in cutting weight.

Teh lulz. This thread brought them.

Aside from teh lulz, I think OP's question actually has some merit and I don't see why it was written off as entire nonsense.

It is reasonable to suggest that for optimal performance in a certain sport, a certain range of upper-to-lower body hypertrophy ratio might be ideal and going beyond that might become detrimental. It is also reasonable to examine whether the strength programming an athlete is following as part of their GPP work is helping them get stronger without getting out of that range. I don't know enough details about OP's circumstances to conclude if he is overreacting or not, but, imo, the question of "how to adjust one's strength programming to control the hypertrophy ratio between upper and lower body" has some merit.

Unless hypertrophy itself directly benefits the sport, rather than indirectly, as is more typical, you could assume that if the strength training is near optimal for a sport, the physiological changes would be as well, if diet is appropriate.

So usually it'd just be a matter of is the program balanced in a way that's relevant to this sport or these particular goals.

Unless hypertrophy itself directly benefits the sport, rather than indirectly, as is more typical, you could assume that if the strength training is near optimal for a sport, the physiological changes would be as well, if diet is appropriate.

So usually it'd just be a matter of is the program balanced in a way that's relevant to this sport or these particular goals.

Exactly.

If you are doing the eclipse 5x5 and it's resulting in you getting away from the optimal upper/lower body hypertrophy range for your sport, then wouldn't that mean the program is in fact not "balanced in a way that's near optimal to this sport"?

Exactly.

If you are doing the eclipse 5x5 and it's resulting in you getting away from the optimal upper/lower body hypertrophy range for your sport, then wouldn't that mean the program is in fact not "balanced in a way that's near optimal to this sport"?

So we could just ask is eclipse 5x5 well balanced for kickboxing, or would another program be better, and not worry about pant or ass sizes at all.

So we could just ask is eclipse 5x5 well balanced for kickboxing, or would another program be better, and not worry about pant or ass sizes at all.

Exactly my point.

Although some discussion about pant and ass sizes is also warranted, because teh lulz aren't going to bring themselves.

I've got big quads and glutes but a tiny upper body. Looks ridiculous.

Exactly my point.

Well then I guess we didn't live up to your expectations of taking the high ground and teasing that question out TS's post, and instead had another ass size thread.

Wow...

Ok so no WS4SB, and I should check out 5/3/1? Is that the consensus? How should I adjust my strength programming to control the hypertrophy ratio between upper and lower body?

I tried calorie restriction on 5x5 and it absolutely killed me. I was depressed, had a rapid heart rate, couldn't sleep, starting getting paranoid... It was terrible.

Wow...

Ok so no WS4SB, and I should check out 5/3/1? Is that the consensus? How should I adjust my strength programming to control the hypertrophy ratio between upper and lower body?

I tried calorie restriction on 5x5 and it absolutely killed me. I was depressed, had a rapid heart rate, couldn't sleep, starting getting paranoid... It was terrible.

That wasn't really the consensus. Some people suggested 5/3/1, and it's a good program, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily better for you and your goals.

And again, only the possibility of adjusting the amount of work you put into different lifts, which would result in different amounts of hypertrophy, was raised. I don't recall anyone saying that they believed it to be the case.

What do you mean by caloric restriction? A healthy diet with enough calories to maintain weight? Or a poor diet or one where you're losing weight?

Wow...

You probably overdid it with the calorie restriction. You might need to estimate your baseline metabolism and count calories for a while to get it right.

There are a lot of different programs you could try but if you're aiming to gain strength while limiting lower body hypertrophy you probably want to go for a program with fewer total sets and reps, and with some of the sets at near-maximal load.

I'm doing 5/3/1 for Powerlifting on a 2-day split (other days I do BJJ) and I would recommend it. It's basically 3 ramped sets per lift per week at calculated percentages of your max, and then you do a couple of heavy singles at or above your training max.

5/3/1 is popular partly because it's the type of program you can do long-term while playing other sports or even dieting/cutting, and not suffer any serious recovery issues. The tradeoff is that the pace of progress is relatively slow. It's a "slow but steady wins the race" type of program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back