How will Volk handle the volume and Pressure of Max? (gifs inside)

GreatSaintGuillotine

You may not like what I say but it's the truth.
@Gold
Reaction score
This fight is likely to be a grueling striking contest with little if any ground work. So, the question remains, will Alexander's power and footwork be able to give him the edge over the relentless pressure and volume of Holloway?

Volkanovski is coming in with a slight reach advantage. Max is more than used to being at a reach disadvantage but against great strikers every cm counts. Volk likes to set keep his lead hand out as a feeler as he marches forward before settting his power shots. He mixed up body and head shots very well and handles hurt opponents intelligently, never putting himself in trouble to rush a finish. It is important to point out that volk has displayed good cardio as well. He is able to average close to 100 strikes per fight against high level comp even when displaying patience and selective striking to pick his opponents apart.
0UC7NWj.gif

giphy.gif

On the other hand you have an absolute beast of a man with no quit whatsoever. Max puts up over 200 strikes per fight on a regular basis, has a ridiculous chin, and can easily fall back on his grappling in a hairy situation. Unlike Volk's selective pin point striking, Max favors an unending storm of punches to smother any attempt of offense that his opponents may offer. He'll gladly roll with shots and walk you to the cage so that he can unload dozens of shot into you until every drop of energy has left your body.

tumblr_pjjd7e3AzC1r7vh24o1_400.gifv

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_oi0azo41wX1r7vh24o1_540.gif

Max is very open to strikes. His style revolves around giving back 10x what he receives. Dustin exploited this to keep him on the back foot with power shots and bullying him with his size in the clinch.

Volk lacks the power of Poirier but is just as technical. His sucess will be when Max is backing up and opening himself up to power shots. As long as Max is not allowed to set the pace volk will carve his path to victory.

How do you all think this fight will go? What are the key points to look at? What fights are important to watch leading up to this one?

DISCUSS

Dustin exploited this to keep him on the back foot with power shots and bullying him with his size in the clinch.

THIS. If Volk can put max in his backfood with his power and body shots i see a fight like Dustin. The thing here is how Volk can do with Max's height and if Max uses a jab to keep him at distance.

Max is damaged goods

Volkanovski all day

I miss threads like this.

I can't get that deep into breaking down the fight at the moment but good job TS.

I miss threads like this.

I can't get that deep into breaking down the fight at the moment but good job TS.
My pleasure. I don't make threads often because this shit takes a while. This is way less detail then I usually go into lol.

He's in his prime.

He loses one fight outside of his division and everyone forgets how dominant he's been at 145.

Everyone also forgot how he hard his weight cut is and how he’s slurring his words all
BEFORE Dustin beat him like a red headed stepchild

Say it with me

Damaged goods

Dustin showed the formula but Max came up in weight and probably learned from that experience. Still Volk should avoid trading with Max. Max does not mind taking a shot to give two. Maximum effort = Max. Volk will need to be sharp on his d but also out point Max. Great fight ahead.

Everyone also forgot how he hard his weight cut is and how he’s slurring his words all
BEFORE Dustin beat him like a red headed stepchild

Say it with me

Damaged goods

Yeah they said that about Max before the Ortega fight.

Then he completely destroyed him.

Dustin showed the formula but Max came up in weight and probably learned from that experience. Still Volk should avoid trading with Max. Max does not mind taking a shot to give two. Maximum effort = Max. Volk will need to be sharp on his d but also out point Max. Great fight ahead.
Volk is a big guy, so I wouldn't be shocked if he emulate a little bit of what Dustin did. I think the difference in power is gonna be the biggest hurdle. I doubt that Volk can hurt Max as easily as Dustin did. You have to hurt Max to get him to back up.

Anyone who shifts is open to strikes at some points during shifting, but it takes more to understand how Max masks those little feet adjustments during flurries.

Max is very open to strikes. His style revolves around giving back 10x what he receives. Dustin exploited this to keep him on the back foot with power shots and bullying him with his size in the clinch.

This sounds like what everyone would say, but still highly clueless.

The best way to beat Max is fighting from the outside, Max is too good inside a phone boot exchange and is really good off his back foot. If Volk thinks pressuring Max and forcing exchanges will win him the fight he is in for a rude awakening. Dustin and Ortega found success from the outside when they fought Max. Ortega's best shots were behind the jab and one two combos, that forced Max to close the distance every time he got tagged. Ortega got beat brawling. Max didn't have a high output against Dustin because he couldn't get into a striking range without eating jabs and left crosses all day. who knows I might be wrong and Volk just steam rolls Max with ultimate pressure and relentless fury.

Anyone who shifts is open to strikes at some points during shifting, but it takes more to understand how Max masks those little feet adjustments during flurries.

This sounds like what everyone would say, but still highly clueless.
It's not just when he's shifting. He actually doesn't get hit all that much when his is on the move. It's when he's marching forward without striking, retreating to reset in the center, and at the very start of his flurries that he opens up the most.

It is a calculated risk that he usually comes on top of but a risk nonetheless.

Back