10 Evil Crimes Of The British Empire

Yea some not so nice things happened in the past. But it's a walk in the park compared to the oppression that some members of this forum are going through in the present day. Or are we just gonna pretend the Beyonce halftime show never happened?

You're right, people used to be really oppressed. Now you have these whiners like Beyonce that bitch about oppression as they sip champagne. Ignoramuses. They don't know how great they've got it.

#AllLivesMatter

The issue here isn't that things are being swept under the rug or that people are unaware of the atrocities. I certainly am aware. I am just able to put it into context. The British empire did all sorts of evil things...but so does everyone else. For example, What colonial powers did to Africa was never as brutal as what Africans did to each other.

Look up the first stories of what happened when the Dutch sailed down to west Africa to trade. They didn't come for slaves, it was just what they were offered. They didn't even want them because they didn't consider them really worth anything.

African tribes have been wiping each other out for thousands of years, the kind of brutality we can't even really comprehend in the modern west.

India was no better, as shitty as the Brits were in India, they left it a better country when they left then existed when they arrived.

The context just always seems to be ignored. Its always about demonizing the west, its always the west that is evil and brutal.

If you had extrapolated the behaviors in Africa and Asia, and reversed the positions, it is very likely that either party would have completely annihilated Europeans entirely.

Much of the modern world is a brutal, violent, insane place. Even 200 years ago it was significantly worse.

The Mongols, the Ottomans, the Persians, the Mayans were no picnic either.

The concepts of love, compassion, tolerance, and humanism were fringe ideas before the 1960-s.

It is what it is- genocides should never be forgotten but we shouldn't hold people accountable for dumb crap their unenlightened ancestors did.

If a man wants to live an authentic life he needs to consciously examine all aspects of the reality of his situation with uncompromising honesty. My comfortable life has been built upon the backs of victims of genocide, slavery, exploitation and degradation since the dawn of human history and continuing to the present day. Victims with hopes and dreams and feelings and families, just like myself. If it makes you uncomfortable to rest in this acute awareness without equivocating or justifying, it’s because you’re inauthentic, and a pussy. Thanks for the article.

Probably the most pathetic post I have ever seen from a pitiful guilt ridden progressive.

Clearly you're still hanging around that black activist. She's really warped your mind.

Probably the most pathetic post I have ever seen from a pitiful guilt ridden progressive.

Clearly you're still hanging around that black activist. She's really warped your mind.

You've got a good memory. She's just an acquaintance I share ideas with sometimes. I feel no guilt whatsoever. I'm actually ridiculously happy pretty much all the time.

yes, but lets only focus on the horrible white regimes so we can prove how horrible they are

Sorry if you don't like factual history that happened in the last 100 years. Just close your eyes and plug your ears so you don't think it's an attack on " White regimes"

Sorry if you don't like factual history that happened in the last 100 years. Just close your eyes and plug your ears so you don't think it's an attack on " White regimes"
who said i was closing my eyes to anything. in fact my eyes are wide open when i realize that regimes of all colors have done horrible things to people. people like you however, just want to focus on those who fit in to your narrative of the evil white man

The Mongols, the Ottomans, the Persians, the Mayans were no picnic either.

The concepts of love, compassion, tolerance, and humanism were fringe ideas before the 1960-s.

It is what it is- genocides should never be forgotten but we shouldn't hold people accountable for dumb crap their unenlightened ancestors did.
Actually the Cyrus Cylinder is said to be one of the precursors to the modern notion of human rights. In it Cyrus ordered the repatriation of the Jews and restored broken temples and declared religious, ethnic, and linguistic equality. The Mongols are on the other end though, horrible people. Some would argue that the city of Baghdad never recovered after the Mongols sacked it.

The big differences between all of these though is their modern relevance. The British Empire only splintered up in the mid 20th century and many of these atrocities are within living memory. Which is not to say Brits who had nothing to do with this should be guilt tripped or shamed but its important to keep in mind when looking at the modern geopolitical landscape just as Genghis' conquest had effects that rippled well beyond his own death.

who said i was closing my eyes to anything. in fact my eyes are wide open when i realize that regimes of all colors have done horrible things to people. people like you however, just want to focus on those who fit in to your narrative of the evil white man

Who is people like me? The first word out of your mouth is that this thread is about making white people evil. I have never implied anything remotely close to that on Sherdog and I never will. One more time, I haven't narrated anything. This is history and it's factual information. Please don't assume things i haven't said.

Are we not allowed to discuss the atrocities a country has committed?

We as humans have to learn from our mistakes and the best way to learn is to aware people of our past history. What is so hard to understand?

Good day.

Who is people like me? The first word out of your mouth is that this thread is about making white people evil. I have never implied anything remotely close to that on Sherdog and I never will. One more time, I haven't narrated anything. This is history and it's factual information. Please don't assume things i haven't said.

Are we not allowed to discuss the atrocities a country has committed?

We as humans have to learn from our mistakes and the best way to learn is to aware people of our past history. What is so hard to understand?

Good day.
you are bothered that i assume things you have not said. yet the first thing you said to me was "Sorry if you don't like factual history"

because that is in no way an assumption.

you are bothered that i assume things you have not said. yet the first thing you said to me was "Sorry if you don't like factual history"

because that is in no way an assumption.

There is no reason to be bothered by it. You should be accurate before you attack people. I am still not sure why you won't address the point. You are still reaching here.

Yes, it's factual history. Someone posted history regarding what the British had done not too long ago. What you do with the information is up to you. You believe this is an attack on "White people" Those are your words, not mine.

I don't think I can help you out any further with the current logic being presented here.

Its important for people to recognize that the great wealth of the West was built upon exploitation, murder, and theft of the colonized subjects. So whenever they bitch about "third world invasion" darkening the streets of London, Paris, Berlin or Brussels it is an inevitability caused by the imbalance they caused.

And yes, the effects of colonial powers in the third world are still present.

well including the positive effect that those colonial power still has.

but other non western empire also did the same crime, that is also important to point out.

There is no reason to be bothered by it. You should be accurate before you attack people. I am still not sure why you won't address the point. You are still reaching here.

Yes, it's factual history. Someone posted history regarding what the British had done not too long ago. What you do with the information is up to you. You believe this is an attack on "White people" Those are your words, not mine.

I don't think I can help you out any further with the current logic being presented here.
so i should be accurate before i attack someone. but that doesnt apply to you? ok got it.

i said it was an attack on white people, not because it is not true what happened, but because shit like this, when posted, always pretends as if white people are the only ones to have ever been shitty. but i realize young, brilliant, progressive minds like yours will never get that people of all races can be bad. enjoy your bubble, slugger

but other non western empire also did the same crime, that is also important to point out.

I don't see a problem with that at all. I think any information that will help people become more aware is valuable in my book, whether it's the British Empire or other non western empires.

so i should be accurate before i attack someone. but that doesnt apply to you? ok got it.

i said it was an attack on white people, not because it is not true what happened, but because shit like this, when posted, always pretends as if white people are the only ones to have ever been shitty. but i realize young, brilliant, progressive minds like yours will never get that people of all races can be bad. enjoy your bubble, slugger

I have not said anything that isn't true about you, have I? I referenced your belief on " White people" being attacked. You then proceeded to attack me with false information about things I have never said.

but i realize young, brilliant, progressive minds like yours will never get that people of all races can be bad. enjoy your bubble, slugger

Again, you keep resorting to baseless attacks on me when I have been pretty respectful with my replies.

but other non western empire also did the same crime, that is also important to point out
No one is denying that- why do you guys keep stressing this. If a bunch of Japanese sympathizers made a thread about Koreans and Chinese immigrating to Tokyo and bitched that they have no right to be there then it would be relevant to point out Japanese war crimes.

Stop acting like children tattling to their mom about a sibling's unfairness.

Every other thread in this forum is started by closet white supremacists paranoid that brown genetics will taint their sacred viking homeland. Their endless shouting is drowning out all sensible discussion in here.

No, that's just you projecting because you're incredibly defensive on matters of race. The reason European colonialism is mentioned more than the Mongol conquests or the Persian Empire is because they ended more recently and thus are more relevant to current affairs. The Ottoman empire is mentioned in some of the threads concerning the Middle East because the break up of that Empire by the European colonialists is a relevant historical detail to the current events in the Middle East. Japanese imperialism and xenophobia gets mentioned as well when its relevant.

Its true that there were some positive side effects but the reality was the objective of colonialism was to privilege the concerns of the colonists, not the colonized. Any positive effects were by products of a project meant to enrich and benefit the colonizers that overwhelmingly occurred at the expense of the colonized.

Any positive effects came at the cost of massive and needless human suffering.
No one ever denies this. In fact you can't have any sort of discussion about European colonialism without some kind of deflection of this sort.

Actually the Cyrus Cylinder is said to be one of the precursors to the modern notion of human rights. In it Cyrus ordered the repatriation of the Jews and restored broken temples and declared religious, ethnic, and linguistic equality. The Mongols are on the other end though, horrible people. Some would argue that the city of Baghdad never recovered after the Mongols sacked it.

The interpretation of the Cylinder as a "charter of human rights" has been described by some historians as "rather anachronistic" and tendentious.[8][102][103][104] It has been dismissed as a "misunderstanding"[9] and characterized as political propaganda devised by the Pahlavi regime.[88] The German historian Josef Wiesehöfer comments that the portrayal of Cyrus as a champion of human rights is as illusory as the image of the "humane and enlightened Shah of Persia."[96] D. Fairchild Ruggles and Helaine Silverman describe the Shah's aim as being to legitimise the Iranian nation and his own regime, and to counter the growing influence of Islamic fundamentalism by creating an alternative narrative rooted in the ancient Persian past.[105]

The big differences between all of these though is their modern relevance. The British Empire only splintered up in the mid 20th century and many of these atrocities are within living memory. Which is not to say Brits who had nothing to do with this should be guilt tripped or shamed but its important to keep in mind when looking at the modern geopolitical landscape just as Genghis' conquest had effects that rippled well beyond his own death.

The US did horrible crap to the Vietnamese in the 1960s and the Soviets did horrible crap to the Afghans in the 1980s.

Empires are ruthless and no amount of revisionism on your part changes these facts.

Back