Media Tom Aspinall training with GLORY heavyweight champion Rico Verhoeven

Who wins if they were to fight?

• Total voters

BoxerMaurits

The Dutchman
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tom Aspinall and Rico Verhoeven have been training from time to time for years now.
However, this time around (a few weeks ago) Tom was training in the Netherlands at Superpro Sportcenter (where Rico trains) for an extended period, and just a few days after he got back home in the UK he got the call from UFC to fight Sergei Pavlovich for the interim heavyweight-title.

Rico Verhoeven’s camp is known for their strength-and conditioning and reflexes training, so I expect that Tom Aspinall left my country in the best possible shape right before he got the big call from UFC!
Let’s hope both Aspinall and Pavlovich show up as their best version for the short preparation time they’ve had:D

upload_2023-11-2_3-54-40.jpeg

upload_2023-11-2_3-57-5.jpeg
upload_2023-11-2_3-57-27.jpeg

I also made a post about this collab for MainEventNL!
Swipe for some training footage:)

(PS: Dutch Sherbro’s, I know I made a lil’ spelling mistake, “een” should be “aan” ofcourse, just a rare @BoxerMaurits L;))

Btw, the comment section indicates that Tom and Rico did some hard sparring-rounds, so that begs the question:
Who would win if they were to fight?

upload_2023-11-2_4-14-49.jpeg

A few months ago I had a conversation with Dennis Krauweel (Rico Verhoeven’s head-coach) at a combat sports event in NL.
I also asked him about Tom Aspinall, and Krauweel told me he could tell from his training that Tom is an extremely talented striker!

War Aspinall:cool:

upload_2023-3-27_3-45-59-jpeg.975994

Tom Aspinall will have his big moment to fight for the UFC interim-title next week, but first it’s Rico Verhoeven his turn to get to work!
This Saturday he’ll try to defend his heavyweight title against interim-champion Tariq “Cookie” Osaro, at GLORY Collision 6 in the GelreDome:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...set-for-glory-collision-6-november-4.4304450/
I’ll be there:)

upload_2023-11-2_5-2-58-jpeg.1009775

This might be a very bold prediction, but I have this weird feeling my man Cookie is going to get the job done with his 276 lbs of knockout-power, and spoil Rico’s 10-year reign:cool:

upload_2023-6-17_13-29-40-jpeg.987216

Tom Aspinall and Rico Verhoeven have been training from time to time for years now.
However, this time around (a few weeks ago) Tom was training in the Netherlands at Superpro Sportcenter (where Rico trains) for an extended period, and just a few days after he got back home in the UK he got the call from UFC to fight Sergei Pavlovich for the interim heavyweight-title.

Rico Verhoeven’s camp is known for their strength-and conditioning and reflexes training, so I expect that Tom Aspinall left my country in the best possible shape right before he got the big call from UFC!
Let’s hope both Aspinall and Pavlovich show up as their best version for the short preparation time they’ve had:D

View attachment 1009769

View attachment 1009770
View attachment 1009771

(PS: Dutch Sherbro’s, I know I made a lil’ spelling mistake, “een” should be “aan” ofcourse, just a rare @BoxerMaurits L;))

Btw, the comment section indicates that Tom and Rico did some hard sparring-rounds, so that begs the question:

View attachment 1009772

A few months ago I had a conversation with Dennis Krauweel (Rico Verhoeven’s head-coach) at a combat sports event in NL.
I also asked him about Tom Aspinall, and Krauweel told me he could tell from his training that Tom is an extremely talented striker!

And I believe Sergeis striking coach is Artem Levin.

I don’t know about his reach, I bet it’s solid lol, but I know his name is Stan Bertens.
He’s a young dude boxing for Team NL, in the super-heavyweight division.

Next to Tyson Fury:

I see. Honestly his arms don't look that long compared to his body, but it's really hard to judge from those pics alone. Fury doesn't look to have very long arms in the pic either and he has a 85 inch reach...

Anyway, I was wondering because Rico doesn't have insane reach either and it would be nice if Aspinall has had a good few rounds in with someone who has similar or greater reach, than Pav has. And it seems Bertens might just have been able to fill that role, especially because he is a boxer and I assume he can use that reach at least decently.

Awesome post sir, you're a fuckin monster out here.
In MMA I think Tom wins, but in kickboxing I think Rico takes it to be honest.

I told you when you told me about Cookie and Rico that I thought Cookie was gonna win, and I'm still standing by my position.

I think Cookie's style will present Rico with some problems.
He's a big man, that is fast and hits hard.
Rico will have to dig deep if he's going to win this, I just don't think he can do it this time.

Always liked Rico but this dude might be too much.

Last edited:

View attachment 1009769

View attachment 1009770
View attachment 1009771

View attachment 1009772

DM'd with Bas a few times when he was up there at Glory, legit bunch of badasses. Tom has become one of my favorite fighters, laid-back personality but a killer in the cage - this can only improve his chances. Riding the Aspinall war wagon on this one!

How well does pure dutch kickboxing translate to MMA striking ? I recall overeem saying it's not that good of a transfer

I know adesanya and Pereira adapted very well but I'm talking about the pure dutch school bred kickboxers like Rico

Tom Aspinall left my country

Question for Dutch TS (I am American):
- Is it true people are happier, on average, in the Netherlands?
I've heard from multiple people, all unrelated in life to one another, that people seem more laid back and content in Netherlands (and Europe in general) compared to elsewhere

Rico isnt very good. Shouldn't matter. Pav by KO over the overrated brit

Yeah that’s right, Artem Levin is an awesome kickboxer and now fulltime striking coach at ATT.
I wonder why he never tried out MMA himself / how he would’ve done in MMA.

He was old and had a terrible build for MMA in my opinion. Alex is a bit of a farce and in a farce division(s), but yeah, guys like Izzy, Fiziev, Barboza etc crossed over in their early 20s and committed. It's a huge risk, many elite kickboxers wash out at the regional level too.

Levin is a coach but I don't think full time at ATT, I think he mostly trains in Russia with guys like Shabliy and Sergei and then travels with them to ATT when they do US camps. I'm not sure is there an ATT Russia?

Question for Dutch TS (I am American):
- Is it true people are happier, on average, in the Netherlands?
I've heard from multiple people, all unrelated in life to one another, that people seem more laid back and content in Netherlands (and Europe in general) compared to elsewhere
Pretty sure most people in South America are happier than all of them.

I met a lot of europeans here and they love how laid back we are. But I was also told that Netherlands is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back