Jon Jones Tabbed as Slight Favorite in Potential Matchup with Tom Aspinall

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
1700277247642.png

It might not happen anytime soon, but the odds slightly favor Jon Jones in a potential bout against newly-crowned interim heavyweight champion Tom Aspinall.

According to online oddsmaker BetOnline, Jones is listed as a -140 favorite against Aspinall, who is a +120 underdog. That is a stark contrast to odds for Jones vs. Stipe Miocic, where “Bones” is a far more significant favorite at -400.

In the case of Jones vs. Aspinall, the fight must take place by Aug. 31, 2024 for any betting action to be valid, and odds are subject to change based on various circumstances.

The far more likely option is that Jones will defend his heavyweight crown against Miocic next year once he heals from a torn pectoral suffered in training. Jones has targeted Miocic, who owns the all-time record for title defenses at heavyweight, as a legacy fight, and UFC CEO Dana White has been adamant that the promotion will rebook the bout at a later date.

Aspinall claimed the interim belt with a 69-second knockout of Sergei Pavlovich in the UFC 295 co-main event. The Englishman is already lobbying for a showdown against Jones, but he may have to wait until Miocic gets his opportunity. Even then, Jones has previously indicated that he might retire from MMA after facing the Ohio-based firefighter.

Continue Reading

V2 is worse than VD tbh, and Jon will never fight Tom.
Like everything new. Members just need to get used to the layout. Trust me , ya'll will like it and everything is being passed on...

Have a wonderful holiday sir :)

WOW what a lovely looking site

Thank you Sherbro and all our SherStaff for putting this together over what I can imagine has been a very long week

On Topic,
I doubt Jones will fight anyone other than Stipe. Too many hurdles in his head for him to fight someone this dangerous.

Welcome back Sherfam!!!

Hope you are enjoying the upgrade...

Thoughts on V2 and Jones vs Aspinal ?
Thanks, coo! it's back. Upgrade is appreciated !​

PoS Pico will stay weak - he hid for years from every HW like a coward.
Oddsmakers must have had a laugh knowing Jones won't fight him.

Last edited:
WOW what a lovely looking site

Thank you Sherbro and all our SherStaff for putting this together over what I can imagine has been a very long week

On Topic,
I doubt Jones will fight anyone other than Stipe. Too many hurdles in his head for him to fight someone this dangerous.
I'm digging the reactions ( Likes 2.0 )

The Gane fight has people overrating Jones as a HW IMO. Aspinall hits much harder has good wrestling, is very fast and has better sub grappling. He also trains with Ricco Verhoeven which looks to be making big improvements in his striking. Aspinall is in his prime as well and Jones is years past his. I don't think Jones beats him.

I'm just gonna start believing Bisping. He's been singing Aspinall's praises for like 2 years, he's been loud about it. Before the Pav fight he said Tom would win and make it look easy. He's said Tom will end up being the HW GOAT. It's a lofty statement, but I don't take it lightly, at this point. I think he beats Jones.

I’m not a good guy?
scarface-drunk.gif

Not huge on the zero indication of what # thread page you're on and no control on the top of the page, needing to scroll down to the bottom to change pages, then extremely minimal page changing option. Aside from just disliking change, that's the most obvious negative to me in the like 5 seconds I've been back.

And Jon's not fighting Tom

*edit* Did they remove the number of posts per page option? I've been defaulted back to 20 and can't change it. Also, this is my second attempt to edit, cuz for some reason, between save and cancel, cancel is the highlighted option

Last edited:
Sounds fair.

Jon isn’t fighting Tom, but for the sake of argument, I think toms hand speed and boxing would be a big problem for Jones especially because Jon would not have a size advantage(though he would still enjoy a 6 inch reach advantage. Tom also has a much better grappling game than gane, so while jons win over gane was super impressive, I don’t think it tells us a lot about how a fight with Tom would go.

I don't think there's anybody that's gonna be favored over Jones until he loses or hits 40.

Aspinal would be dangerous as hell. Especially in the early rounds.

Could see Jones giving him problems with his clinch work and kicking game. Don't think Aspinal would be able to take Jon down. But it's a crapshoot to predict that fight because we've seen so little of Jones in the past 5 years

I'm going to have to get used to this new layout on sherdog Idk what I think.

Back