The Surge, Cyberpunkish "Souls" game

Getting a little hyped for this game after watching a bunch of videos. Some potato quality video from a guy in Lebanon showed some mid game armor and your character looks like a fucking Transformer, lol. Super bulky and more machine than man. Awesome.

The sick bastard in me loves strategic limb removal in action games and I've been missing it since Ninja Gaiden 2 and Dead Space 1 & 2. It'd be nice to play another 60fps 1440p Soulslike game instead of having to sacrifice resolution for framerate.

Although, some guy on Neogaf who's reviewing the game said something about the middle of the game containing something awful. He's super vague about it because of review embargo but it could be another knucklehead not gettin' gud. Also, I loved "B tier" games like this from the previous generation of games and had a hell of a lot of fun with them then. Once upon a time, Demon's Souls was considered a B tier game, too.

i'm telling you bro, we got something here

I'm liking this. I hope that it doesn't suck.

another impressions

sounds like its really good. i know a lot of the idiots who will cry about it now being a perfect souls clone, but damn im glad they added gore in this game

one thing the souls game lacked was blood and guts

Game is $38 and some change at Greenmangaming. Can't pass up that price for a new release. :)

another early impression and yep its another thumbs up boys

Yes this game is hard. And I've played through every Souls game, Nioh and Bloodborne solo without any summons and this game is testing me. You just really, really have to be careful with your attacks and dealing with multiple enemies. You can be dropped quickly.

As for the embargo mess. I will say the publisher was super nice. He said he went and watched some of my videos and actually wished me success. Complimented my channels lack of screaming over videos and appreciated my impressions I gave. Even the negative ones. On top of that, whoever complained wanted me to get a strike on my channel, but the person who responded to me said that's harsh and they just requested politely to make it private for a day. Really cool of them. I'm just glad I was able to give out some info to you guys.

That's why I make my videos man, to just share and be apart of gaming and the community around it. It's what I love to do, I'm happy even though my channel is tiny people here appreciate my approach. Thanks for all the kind words gaf, you guys have been awesome!

(Today, 02:42 AM)
It's a real solid game. I just got through my 4th boss. After playing more, I think I have a better sense of why it is difficult. It really feels like the game was designed to punish you for your mistakes, and then capitalize on the impatience of trying to get back to where you were.

I know this is common in the Souls games, but it feels much more pronounced here. The real difference in regards to this is how you approach each enemy and what you want to gain from the encounter.

So far, I have yet to find any weapons or armor just laying around. No magic chest that includes a great set of gear to help carry you through. You have to target and hunt down everything you want from the enemies themselves.

It's brilliant design, because doing this forces you into two options. You can either attack and enemies unarmored limb, which helps you defeat them MUCH easier. However, you are almost never going to get scrap,materials, or gear doing this. On the flip side, you go for an armored limb. Problem is the armored limbs have much higher damage resist, the enemies can withstand getting stunned or knocked down, and sometimes eat one of your attacks while also dishing it back for big damage.

It creates a real fun, difficult, but extremely rewarding balance. The move sets for the weapon types are also very deep. With horizontal and vertical attacks, being able to charge them, and then when you mix them together creating completely different strings of attacks. It only has 5 weapon types, although at first that seemed limiting, it's actually a better design decision because you need to become intimate with each and every attack you attempt to use in combat.

Depending on who,what, or how many enemies I'm fighting I may not even use certain moves at all. What may work great for targeting an unarmored limb on a solo enemy, might be terrible for managing and kiting a group.

Now, after 10 hours, it does have one glaring problem. So far, the games look, tone, and mood, have been pretty drab. I haven't run into any real big set-piece or boss encounter that is really memorable. Part of it is the environment, part of it is the musical score. It's not bad in anyway but it isn't memorable either. Nothing compared to the scope and grandeur of the Souls games.

Still, if you have seen my factual opinion series, I am giving this game a 4/5. I feel it's a big step-up, and if you are wanting a new Souls game or a sci-fi arpg, this game is extremely easy to recommend. Just be aware of the difficulty, it is very punishing. On the flipside, the sense of reward is awesome. I've beaten bosses and stood up in my chair fist pumping and talking shit to my monitor. Hopefully this mock-review/impressions helps you guys out!

Also, Karak, you are a huge influence on me. You have shown that guys who aren't screaming and shouting and like to be in depth with their thoughts and analysis have a place in the world. I appreciate that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368685&page=4

This is very CDPR sounding

Last edited:
Watching ManVsGame play this. It's not Sci-fi Souls, more like Cyborgs of the Fallen. I'll wait till it's free on PSN.

Frig I am soooo on the fence with this. I really like the look of it, and I want to support the developer too for my own reasons, but I just don't know if I am going to get bored or what.

I stopped in at my local EB games just to ask about their presales figures. They said that they have had some preorders, but nothing major. It's a smaller release and they tried to pressure me into buying a copy on the spot, saying "With a game like this, they'll ususllay only send out the copies that were preordered, and maybe one spare copy, so if you miss it, you won't get it".

As if they aren't going to be able to get another frigging copy... They must make a commission I guess.

Anyways I just don't know what to do about this one.

Frig I am soooo on the fence with this. I really like the look of it, and I want to support the developer too for my own reasons, but I just don't know if I am going to get bored or what.

I stopped in at my local EB games just to ask about their presales figures. They said that they have had some preorders, but nothing major. It's a smaller release and they tried to pressure me into buying a copy on the spot, saying "With a game like this, they'll ususllay only send out the copies that were preordered, and maybe one spare copy, so if you miss it, you won't get it".

As if they aren't going to be able to get another frigging copy... They must make a commission I guess.

Anyways I just don't know what to do about this one.

TB seems to like it

Game lools good. Got a bit of s backlog with Persona 5, Nier Automata and Prey but definitely will pick this up during the summer dry spell

TB seems to like it

Not sure who TB is.

I pre-ordered it. I was talking to the guys at my local shop and he said that they have a 3 day guarantee, so if I buy it and decide I don't like it, I can return it and put the money towards another game.

So I'll find out Tuesday. I never liked dark souls, but I am hopeful with this one. I know they are comparing the combat system to dark souls, and not the entire game. We'll see. I am pretty excited about it. It looks pretty cool.

Not sure who TB is.

I pre-ordered it. I was talking to the guys at my local shop and he said that they have a 3 day guarantee, so if I buy it and decide I don't like it, I can return it and put the money towards another game.

So I'll find out Tuesday. I never liked dark souls, but I am hopeful with this one. I know they are comparing the combat system to dark souls, and not the entire game. We'll see. I am pretty excited about it. It looks pretty cool.

total bisket

im gonna be about the backflip kick life guy's im sorry

giphy.gif

ImpishLeanIbex.gif

CostlyParchedEasternglasslizard.gif

There are guys streaming it now so I was watching a bit this morning. It looks pretty good. I think early game might be a bit bland but the combat deepens once you unlock special abilities or perks or whatever they're called. He was doing back flips and shit after a few areas.

Back