The Surge, Cyberpunkish "Souls" game

This game is getting pretty good reviews... already several 8/10s. Looks like another winner!

So far I'm enjoying it. First level seems pretty easy but apparently that's how it starts. Already got new weapons I'm enjoying that cut off their weapon system.

So nice to have a game like this with some sort of story. It's not groundbreaking or anything just gives you a purpose.

Ok so about 1.45 hours in and so far I'm cruising through the game pretty much. Haven't even got to the first boss yet though. Just exploring a lot.

Still hoping to get some better armor soon. I don't know if I'm missing stuff or what cause at one point it said turn on your light and you need body gear for that but I had no body gear. Only arm\leg and I just barely got a hear gear schematic.

Sounds like pretty good reviews all around. Thanks to Ghost for hyping this up. I probably wouldn't have paid it much mind otherwise.

Ok so about 1.45 hours in and so far I'm cruising through the game pretty much. Haven't even got to the first boss yet though. Just exploring a lot.

Still hoping to get some better armor soon. I don't know if I'm missing stuff or what cause at one point it said turn on your light and you need body gear for that but I had no body gear. Only arm\leg and I just barely got a hear gear schematic.

Try targeting the body on enemies to get loot drops.

Sounds like pretty good reviews all around. Thanks to Ghost for hyping this up. I probably wouldn't have paid it much mind otherwise.

i did for my sherbros

Ah that makes sense. I rarely ever go for the body mainly arms and head.

I was very tempted to book a day off today, but responsibility took over and I came into work. I'll be hitting this hard tonight on the Xbox. Looking forward to it.

not sold yet. Too similar to Lords of the Fallen

well accept its 100% not, so thats where you'll be wrong. so that would be your first wrong in assuming it is

its apparently harder then DS and nioh

not sold yet. Too similar to Lords of the Fallen

Not really. They took the best mechanics of LotF, a timer to pick up your souls/scrap, the souls/scrap multiplier and the ability to bank your souls/scrap, but reworked basically everything else. The combat is much faster (or slower if you want), a a quick dodge instead of rolling, feedback on hits is a lot better, and the limb removal is the kind of innovation these games need (like Nioh's Ki pulse). There's also counter moves on block and you can either duck or jump over certain attacks. The implants give more variety to your character build also. Also, if you kill bosses in a certain way (like tail removal in Dark Souls and why the hell did From ever get rid of that) you can get special weapons or gear.

I've played about 3 hours now and it's great. There are loads of options on PC and I think PS4 buttons being shown in game is the first time I've ever seen it without modding, just plug and play. The load times are ridiculously fast and Deck 13 gets a huge thumbs up for that.

First boss took me a few times to get but I got it in the end. The game is definitely harder because it feels like you really have to commit to your attacks. The second area seems huge and is really intricate so far. Hope the level design keeps up.

Also, you can pause during executions to spin the camera around and get a really good screenshot. Neat little addition. After playing so many fantasy based games in this style, it's pretty awesome hearing the twang and clash of your swings and the atmosphere of a sci-fi setting with a dash or horror and grimness thrown in. I also really like the animalistic grunts and yells the enemies have.

The second area is dramatically harder than the first for sure. The boss at the end was frustrating due to how weapon attacks always move you forward and basically sets you up to get one shotted because of it.

Just got to the boss. Died a few times already but not to hard.

I have zero experience playing Souls or LotF or Niho, and I am finding this tough. But fun.

The way they have the targetti g system set up is a little wonky to me. I have a hard time keeping my thumb off the right thumbstick during combat and I keep changing my target due to touching it.
These controls are going to take some getting used to...

I'm enjoying it so far, maybe a 6.5-7.5/10, though I do have a lot of problems with it.
I like the whole cut body parts mechanic but it can be a pain when there's multiple enemies in the room, in Souls you can switch target different enemies a lot easier. Not a fan of having to hold a button to pick items up but I do enjoy how it works when doing critical attacks.

I just beat the first boss and to be quite honest I hated the fight, lots of bad hitboxes there unfortunately. Not a fan of the whole 'stun the boss then attack it's weak point to do damage' thing either, never like it in Zelda, don't like it here. It doesn't help that it kept talking in it's robotic voice emphasizing the fact that it was some kind of security robot either, really got on my nerves.

Something else I don't like is how weapons seem to 'level up' the more I use them.

Yeah thats about it so far. Hopefully there'll be a bit more enemy variety later on because the lack of such kinda worries me, so far nearly all the humanoid enemies have the same attack animations with varying degrees of HP and damage output but I am early on.

Whos using light Armour? i wanna do some backflip crazy shit

Back