Social MIT becomes first elite university to eliminate diversity statements

Is eliminating diversity requirements positive for education?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
A meager BSc in bio-chemistry, I just have a strong casual interest in physics and science history in general although it's sort of waned over the years. I come from a rural blue-collar family, nobody goes to college. They were kind of proud of it though and that made me feel good. You probs can't do much better than Carroll

Chemistry is a killer of topic - respect and congrats for taking a leap into "the unknown."

If you don't mind me asking, what is your educational background?

I like to read on these topics on a high level through the books of Sean Carroll. I pre-ordered his upcoming book on "quanta and fields" and can't wait for it. Do you have any recommendations that are similar to Sean Carroll?
Thanks for the tip.

True equality is equal opportunity. Diversity will come naturally if there is equal opportunity.

Instead of DEI, policies and hiring practices should ensure that there are no racial, gender or religious hurdles that would prevent someone from getting a job, going to school, etc as long as they are qualified.

The other big flaw with DEI is blaming racism on the lack of diversity in certain fields when a lot of time it’s simply cultural differences. Women are overwhelmingly nurses but as long as men have the same opportunity, that’s all that matters. If it skews more women and the hiring practices is neutral, that’s just how the chips fell.

In some cases, you might find some jobs like firefighters are overwhelming white males. In this case, make sure your policies aren’t skewed to white men and then simply host job fairs and promote yourself to other communities as a career option and get them interested.

DEI is fine but it needs to come naturally and there are ways to do that.

This is 100% how it should be.

However, how do you tackle those old racist/sexist upper managers that overlook well-qualified minority candidates purely because of their biases? I am sure you are aware that racism is still alive in today's society. Of course, I understand this is only one aspect that exists in the lack of appropriate representation in the various fields of work or college. I believe this is one of the unfortunate reasons why some type of quota needs to be enforced.

As you mentioned, other factors that influence diversity (or the lack of) can be attributed to culture and even sex. My take is that educating people from a young age (a lot easier said than done) as to what jobs and opportunities exist out there is key. A lot of kids with low socio-economic means have no idea how to "play the game." These are the same people that are preoccupied with the day-to-day survival which disables them from making long-term plans of success. I understand these are generalizations, but these are real influences that need to curved so that diversity can be achieved more naturally.

This is 100% how it should be.

However, how do you tackle those old racist/sexist upper managers that overlook well-qualified minority candidates purely because of their biases? I am sure you are aware that racism is still alive in today's society. Of course, I understand this is only one aspect that exists in the lack of appropriate representation in the various fields of work or college. I believe this is one of the unfortunate reasons why some type of quota needs to be enforced.

As you mentioned, other factors that influence diversity (or the lack of) can be attributed to culture and even sex. My take is that educating people from a young age (a lot easier said than done) as to what jobs and opportunities exist out there is key. A lot of kids with low socio-economic means have no idea how to "play the game." These are the same people that are preoccupied with the day-to-day survival which disables them from making long-term plans of success. I understand these are generalizations, but these are real influences that need to curved so that diversity can be achieved more naturally.
Ask him how many CEO's on the fortune 500 are women.

You humblebrag about your supposed top notch academic credentials and awesome life on a karate forum. Then you simultaneously accuse another poster (that you know nothing about) of having a small penis, of being old and a shit life.

I don't know man. Your maturity level based on your posting seems like you're full of shit.

And even if your credentials were somewhat true, biomedical engineering is a hard science. Gender ideology is a soft science at best.

This is an appeals to authority fallacy. "I'm an expert at A, so my opinions on subject B are also correct." No they're not, you do not have any experience in gender ideology to speak authoritatively on it.

My penis is 2 MM above average and decent! LOL

No need to defend it dude. 1. Perfectly fine to be average. 2. No one will believe you anyway.

It is not a humble brag. It is plainly a brag because I spent 12 years in an academic institution (BS, MS, PHD) becoming an expert in a tiny niche field that will probably never see the day of light. You believe what you want to believe, that's up to you.

But notice I did not mention anything about gender science - I am speaking about it from the neuroscience perspective. The brain is a biological system that functions on a spectrum - it is NOT binary. It is a simple fact that many people cannot wrap their heads around. However, if that is too difficult to conceptualize, proof of this spectrum exists in the anatomy of genitalia of hermaphrodites.

Also notice I am not advocating for the use of 100 pronouns. But if you understood that the brain is a complex machine influenced by hormones and neurotransmitters with output expressed on a spectrum, then maybe the idea of someone identifying as something "different" than the average person is not so crazy.

Ask him how many CEO's on the fortune 500 are women.

A lot of people like him have the right intentions, but overlook the reality of life because of the way they grew up. That's not their fault, but also to be an adult in the USA and assume that racism/sexism does not exist in 99.9% of the population is naive.

And yeah, racism goes all ways: white on black, black on white, black on black, black on brown, etc...

A lot of people like him have the right intentions, but overlook the reality of life because of the way they grew up. That's not their fault, but also to be an adult in the USA and assume that racism/sexism does not exist in 99.9% of the population is naive.

And yeah, racism goes all ways: white on black, black on white, black on black, black on brown, etc...
The power imbalance practically makes that a false equivalency when it comes to the practical consequences of racism but sure, it's factually correct.

I think your one in a thousand figure is a little exaggerated regardless, though.

The power imbalance practically makes that a false equivalency when it comes to the practical consequences of racism but sure, it's factually correct.

I think your one in a thousand figure is a little exaggerated regardless, though.

Right, the power imbalance means someone is getting shafted. If it wasn't for those practical consequences, I wouldn't give a rat's ass if people are racist. You are entitled to believe whatever you want to believe.

Alright, just for fun and without looking it up: what % of the US population would you say is racist? I am looking at the numbers now, and yeah I definitely exaggerated.

Right, the power imbalance means someone is getting shafted. If it wasn't for those practical consequences, I wouldn't give a rat's ass if people are racist. You are entitled to believe whatever you want to believe.

Alright, just for fun and without looking it up: what % of the US population would you say is racist? I am looking at the numbers now, and yeah I definitely exaggerated.
Edit: I must add I've turned the proportions around. Below, I'm talking about the percentage of people who are racist as you did earlier whereas my earlier reply was pointing to that 1 in 1000 instead. Just to clarify.

OK, taking into account the fudge factor in terms of likelihood that some will lie out of expectation they will be judged, and stating at the outset it depends a very great deal upon how you obtain the data, I'd say it's about the same as the MAGA cohort compared the the Republican Party as a whole plus a bit, so, 30-35 %, but that's a guess based upon experience. With the aforementioned fudge factor in play, it could be higher by as much as another 10 percent and I wouldn't be even a little bit surprised.

I don't make any claim to be 100% sure of this, mind you. This is my "best guess when put to the test" answer. I also wouldn't even a little bit surprised if the correct range lies around 20-25%.

By the way, I find it kind of hilarious how no one up to now has pointed out how leading a question the OP/poll is. It's very disingenuous. That's why I will not vote in the poll. Just sayin'.

It is not a humble brag. It is plainly a brag because I spent 12 years in an academic institution (BS, MS, PHD) becoming an expert in a tiny niche field that will probably never see the day of light. You believe what you want to believe, that's up to you.

But notice I did not mention anything about gender science - I am speaking about it from the neuroscience perspective. The brain is a biological system that functions on a spectrum - it is NOT binary. It is a simple fact that many people cannot wrap their heads around. However, if that is too difficult to conceptualize, proof of this spectrum exists in the anatomy of genitalia of hermaphrodites.

Also notice I am not advocating for the use of 100 pronouns. But if you understood that the brain is a complex machine influenced by hormones and neurotransmitters with output expressed on a spectrum, then maybe the idea of someone identifying as something "different" than the average person is not so crazy.

I'm not one of those people that denies gender dysphoria doesn't exist. I know it exists.

I'm more taking issue with your presumptuous and pompous posting. "Oh I'm an expert PHD and have a great life. Meanwhile your life is shit and you have a small dick."

WTF lol. That's some cringe behavior.

Last edited:
I'm not one of those people that denies gender dysphoria doesn't exist. I know it exists.

I'm more taking issue with your presumptuous and pompous posting. "Oh I'm not an expert PHD and have a great life. Meanwhile you're life is shit and you have a small dick."

He definitely sounds like a Phd or whatever letters he wants to add the end of his name... lol

True equality is equal opportunity. Diversity will come naturally if there is equal opportunity.

Instead of DEI, policies and hiring practices should ensure that there are no racial, gender or religious hurdles that would prevent someone from getting a job, going to school, etc as long as they are qualified.

The other big flaw with DEI is blaming racism on the lack of diversity in certain fields when a lot of time it’s simply cultural differences. Women are overwhelmingly nurses but as long as men have the same opportunity, that’s all that matters. If it skews more women and the hiring practices is neutral, that’s just how the chips fell.

In some cases, you might find some jobs like firefighters are overwhelming white males. In this case, make sure your policies aren’t skewed to white men and then simply host job fairs and promote yourself to other communities as a career option and get them interested.

DEI is fine but it needs to come naturally and there are ways to do that.

Diversity and Inclusion through equal opportunity is desirable...

But Equity will always be garbage... It's impossible and not desirable in any manner.

funny how you chuds pretend to care about science when its convenient. but you will dismiss science on climate change, Covid, Hormone therapy for transgender patients and when the science of an issue conflicts with the goals of the corporate donors.
Oh this woke militant gig is so tired. Get a life.

You humblebrag about your supposed top notch academic credentials and awesome life on a karate forum. Then you simultaneously accuse another poster (that you know nothing about) of having a small penis, of being old and a shit life.

I don't know man. Your maturity level based on your posting seems like you're full of shit.

And even if your credentials were somewhat true, biomedical engineering is a hard science. Gender ideology is a soft science at best.

This is an appeals to authority fallacy. "I'm an expert at A, so my opinions on subject B are also correct." No they're not, you do not have any experience in gender ideology to speak authoritatively on it.

My penis is 2 MM above average and decent! LOL

No need to defend it dude. 1. Perfectly fine to be average. 2. No one will believe you anyway.
@PoundForPound falls into the educated dummy category based on what I've read in this thread. I've known many highly educated people who are legitimate geniuses across almost everything they touch but this guy is plainly not in that category. As far as the petty insults and weird penis obsession that's just one of the ways idiots tend to out themselves.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip.
justthetip-vince.gif

I know in person 2 gentlemans who had graduated from MIT and one working for MIT. This stuff ( MIT ) is beautiful.

my sister went to MIT for her masters. could have went anywhere. she's a smart one.

I'm more taking issue with your presumptuous and pompous posting. "Oh I'm an expert PHD and have a great life. Meanwhile your life is shit and you have a small dick."

I am going to assume you read that comment out of context so here is the context explained:

I was calling out @Noveltymortar for referring to people on the left as maggots. To which I >> ASKED<< and I quote per post #82 "
Why does it bother you? Do you have a sad life and/or a tiny pp?" Clearly the small pp stuff is a rhetorical question.

As far as my explaining why my life is so great, it was asked by @Noveltymortar, so answered.

Yeah, the way you are reporting is not at all how it went down. You may fuck off now.

@PoundForPound falls into the educated dummy category based on what I've read in this thread. I've known many highly educated people who are legitimate geniuses across almost everything they touch but this guy is plainly not in that category. As far as the petty insults and weird penis obsession that's just one of the ways idiots tend to out themselves.

Stay bitter and sad. It will only get worse for you as all that you despise only becomes the norm.

Back