Cormier spoiled all the UFC 297 prelims with one sentence

Hold up

You’re bitching that the commentator mentioned things that occurred earlier in the event?
Not simply "mentioning" things. Literally giving away the winner and loser of every single undercard fight all at once.

I ain't the one complaining about commentators doing their job :) and "spoiling" results that happened on the exact card they are working.
Do you always watch every card in order from beginning to end?
Do you enjoy knowing who won a fight before you watch it?
If you hadn't watched the prelims yet wouldn't you be annoyed if Cormier just started randomly listing the names of all the winners and losers in between rounds 1 and 2 of the main event?

If you hadn't watched the prelims yet wouldn't you be annoyed if Cormier just started randomly listing the names of all the winners and losers in between rounds 1 and 2 of the main event?
1) No
2) No,BUT I dont ever expect the commentators not to refer to fights that have happened on the CARD THAT IS CURRENTLY GOING ON. Them's the fuckin breaks.
3) NO I would not be annoyed! That's what happens on sportscasts. It's not their problem if you didnt watch the prelims. It's your problem. I dont know why anyone would expect different. I've watched Boxing for years and they always did that. Who cares??

None of those questions are really relevant. They are giving the broadcast with reasonable expectation that you saw some of the earlier card, and they reasonably assume most people who did not see the prelims are not going to later. (and they would be correct)

They talk about stuff that happens earlier on the card all the time. This is a live event not some crappy Netflix series. They are not "spoiling" something just because you did not see it.

If you care that much about prelim spoilers then you should avoid the main card until you've seen the prelims.

Reactions: HHJ
I watched the PPV main card live and the prelims the next day.

All it took was DC saying on the PPV, "Canadian men are winless tonight and the Canadian women haven't lost." Guess what? Every single prelim fight had a Canadian on it.

Maybe the UFC should go to Canada more often so that not every Canadian fighter on the roster feels the need to be on the card.

Then there's Dominick Cruz a former champion who apparently doesn't know how fights are scored, saying if it goes to a decision the fight is scored on damage so the guy whose face is busted up more loses. Jon Anik has to tell him the fight is scored round by round and a cut is scored in the round where the cut is inflicted.

Then during the Movsar Evloev vs. Arnold Allen grounded knees controversy nobody on the broadcast apparently knew that Ontario still uses New Jersey's version of the rules, not the new unified rules, so a hand doesn't have to be weight-bearing to ground a fighter.

I could sort of forgive them for this since the UFC hasn't been to Toronto in 5 years.

Mayra Bueno Silva didn't get a post fight interview after losing a title fight. And lastly Malcolm Gordon didn't get a post fight interview despite seemingly retiring inside the Octagon. I wonder if Clay Guida screwed that up for other fighters with his fake retirement last year.

Pretty bad job by the broadcast team and production last night, IMO.
I'm trying to understand the mindset of someone who sits down to find this much trivial BS to complain about. Unreal that people like you exist.

Yes this is really silly.

Ive never ever heard of someone complaining about this.

Entitlement Generation of Peace! :D

Thinking everyone must adapt to that certain individual.

1) No
2) No,BUT I dont ever expect the commentators not to refer to fights that have happened on the CARD THAT IS CURRENTLY GOING ON. Them's the fuckin breaks.
3) NO I would not be annoyed! That's what happens on sportscasts. It's not their problem if you didnt watch the prelims. It's your problem. I dont know why anyone would expect different. I've watched Boxing for years and they always did that. Who cares??
You keep saying "refer to fights that have happened" as if that's what I'm talking about. That is not what I'm talking about. I expect them to mention the previous fights to some extent. I'm specifically talking about giving away the winners and losers.

If there's an early finish and some time to kill they already go to the studio to let Alan Jouban, Rashad Evans, Anthony Smith, et al discuss the earlier results. And people who aren't interested can leave the room for a minute or two during those segments.

I would submit to you that if DC started listing the names of all the previous winners and losers between rounds of the main event, that would be both annoying (to a big chunk of the audience) and the wrong time to impart that information.

As for boxing, I don't watch or care about it but I was under the impression that boxing fans don't care about the boxing prelims. Is that not the case? Does ESPN+ give you the option of individually selecting boxing prelim fights to view later on?

If you care that much about prelim spoilers then you should avoid the main card until you've seen the prelims.
That is not realistic. To watch the PPV main card the only options are to find a way to watch it live or wait several weeks for it to air for free on ESPN+.

To watch the prelims I can watch them live, the next day, the next week or whenever.

If I'm short on time the most reasonable course of action is to watch the main card first.

What percentage of main card viewers do you think goes back and watches at least 1 fight that they missed later on?

You keep saying "refer to fights that have happened" as if that's what I'm talking about. That is not what I'm talking about. I expect them to mention the previous fights to some extent. I'm specifically talking about giving away the winners and losers.

If there's an early finish and some time to kill they already go to the studio to let Alan Jouban, Rashad Evans, Anthony Smith, et al discuss the earlier results. And people who aren't interested can leave the room for a minute or two during those segments.

I would submit to you that if DC started listing the names of all the previous winners and losers between rounds of the main event, that would be both annoying (to a big chunk of the audience) and the wrong time to impart that information.

As for boxing, I don't watch or care about it but I was under the impression that boxing fans don't care about the boxing prelims. Is that not the case? Does ESPN+ give you the option of individually selecting boxing prelim fights to view later on?
I have simply made peace with the fact that If I have missed the prelims,then that is that. Or any fights really. Even fights I really want to see,the amount of effort to go into avoiding finding out results is too much. Even if I stay off Sherdog,and ALL Social media,one of the many friends of mine who are also into MMA will message me going "holy shit did you fuckin see that??! ________ knocked him out,fuckin amazing"

It's like fuckin impossible to not know results of big fights,so Im simply at peace with it. On top of that, I have no problem with them listing the results of prelim fights on the card I'm watching.

Take for example the Shara bullet fight. I happened to miss that one. I already checked the result,because I'd missed it,and of course that fight is gonna get discussed in all MMA platforms. Plus if you dont have ESPN,trying to watch prelim fights can be difficult. Not everyone bothers to upload the prelim portions of MMA cards when you are trying to download them through nefarious means. It took a long time for it to be uploaded to Youtube,and its only got it with russian commentary.

MMA moves too fast. There are simply too many fights happening for me to care about prelim fight results as some sacred thing that I need to avoid finding out about. Too much effort. Sometimes i'm glad they show the results so I dont have to bring up the play by play,and sometimes I dont remember what the prelim fights all were,so I appreciate the recap. Even if I did care about it,I see no problem whatsoever for a card that is still going on to show results of what happened earlier.

The event is 6.5 hours long and the main card can't really be watched in the same manner as the undercard. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people watching the PPV had not seen every single prelim fight and that a decent number of those who hadn't would go back and watch at least one prelim later on.
Sure but thats not a reason for commentators to avoid discussing prior fights

Back