Cormier spoiled all the UFC 297 prelims with one sentence

Sticko

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I watched the PPV main card live and the prelims the next day.

All it took was DC saying on the PPV, "Canadian men are winless tonight and the Canadian women haven't lost." Guess what? Every single prelim fight had a Canadian on it.

Maybe the UFC should go to Canada more often so that not every Canadian fighter on the roster feels the need to be on the card.

Then there's Dominick Cruz a former champion who apparently doesn't know how fights are scored, saying if it goes to a decision the fight is scored on damage so the guy whose face is busted up more loses. Jon Anik has to tell him the fight is scored round by round and a cut is scored in the round where the cut is inflicted.

Then during the Movsar Evloev vs. Arnold Allen grounded knees controversy nobody on the broadcast apparently knew that Ontario still uses New Jersey's version of the rules, not the new unified rules, so a hand doesn't have to be weight-bearing to ground a fighter.

I could sort of forgive them for this since the UFC hasn't been to Toronto in 5 years.

Mayra Bueno Silva didn't get a post fight interview after losing a title fight. And lastly Malcolm Gordon didn't get a post fight interview despite seemingly retiring inside the Octagon. I wonder if Clay Guida screwed that up for other fighters with his fake retirement last year.

Pretty bad job by the broadcast team and production last night, IMO.

I mean, I feel it's perfectly reasonable for the broadcasting team to discuss prior fights of the night when we're on the main card. Can't imagine many people watch the prelims after the main card, do they? Or have I been doing this wrong my whole life.

Cruz is okay but the cut in one round equals winning the whole fight was just idiotic, and I didn’t hear it tonight but he over emphasises the effect of holding someone down for 30 seconds after getting outstruck “yep, he won the round cause he ended up on top!” DC used to be bad for it but he wised up.

The worst part is when he, in the middle of a fight ending sequence, will start talking about how good of a job the ref is doing “he’s letting him recover he’s not jumping in too early, nice job ref, great job ref!”

I mean, I feel it's perfectly reasonable for the broadcasting team to discuss prior fights of the night when we're on the main card. Can't imagine many people watch the prelims after the main card, do they? Or have I been doing this wrong my whole life.
Sometimes the prelims can start at 3am/4am in Australia so yeah every now and then I watch the prelims after the main card and it can be annoying when they’re talked about on the main card.
I’m sure they’re not spoiling it on purpose but different time zones can cause issues that way.

Yes this is really silly.

Ive never ever heard of someone complaining about this.

Yeah ultimately if you watch the event delayed you're not getting the optimal viewing experience, simple as that. No way they should alter the live viewing experience for people watching it at a later time.

If you're paranoid the commentary team will spoil the event then you should either watch the event in chronological order or watch it on mute if you're really worried about it.

Sometimes the prelims can start at 3am/4am in Australia so yeah every now and then I watch the prelims after the main card and it can be annoying when they’re talked about on the main card.
I’m sure they’re not spoiling it on purpose but different time zones can cause issues that way.
I mean,if i miss the prelims, I expect them to talk about them anyway. Thats just the way it is.

This is what you get when the broadcast team is a bunch of yes men announcing as if everyone watching is a casual and needs the narrative the company wants fed to them. I watch for the fights though so don’t really care anyways.

"Spoiled" Lol what are you saying, the commentary team shouldn't be able to refer to the event's previous fights for the sake of people who don't watch it live?
No, by all means mention the previous fights. Like specific things that happened in a fight or the fact that there were finishes or weird scorecards.

But maybe don't list the names of everybody who won and lost, OK? That's what I mean by spoiled. Like just by DC saying that I knew the outcome of every single prelim fight.

No, by all means mention the previous fights. Like specific things that happened in a fight or the fact that there were finishes or weird scorecards.

But maybe don't list the names of everybody who won and lost, OK? That's what I mean by spoiled. Like just by DC saying that I knew the outcome of every single prelim fight.

Why didn't you just watch the card in proper order starting with the prelims? That's on you for getting 'spoiled', if you watched it in order that wouldn't have happened.

Why didn't you just watch the card in proper order starting with the prelims? That's on you for getting 'spoiled', if you watched it in order that wouldn't have happened.
We're talking about an event that started at 6:30pm and ended at probably 1am. That's a big block of time to commit to watching the whole thing in order.

If you must know I watched the main card live at a movie theater so I missed the last 1-2 prelims while driving to the theater and I slept through the earlier prelims because I'm recovering from walking pneumonia.

If it were not a PPV card it would be easier to watch the whole thing in order if I so chose.

Back