Pre-fight discussion UFC 297 Strickland vs. Du Plessis Sat. Jan. 20 Early Prelims 6:30PM ET ESPN+, Main PPV 10PM ET

Planning to watch

• All of it

• Most of it

• Some of it

Results are only viewable after voting.

PurpleStorm

purp
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
This weekend we've got the first numbered card of 2024. It's UFC 297: Strickland vs. Du Plessis. Live from the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada. Which sherdoggers have been to the Scotiabank Arena? How was your experience? What are your thoughts on the main event? Which other fights have your attention? Care to share card previews or predictions? Welcome to our pre-fight discussion. Join us later in the week for the weigh-in thread, further news and previews. If you're free, join us for the play by play discussion hosted by the inimitable @Jackonfire. Enjoy!

UFC 297: Strickland vs. Du Plessis​

January 20, 2024
Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, Canada
Main Card
PPV8:00 PM
BUY PPV
Prelims
ESPNN/ESPN+6:00 PM
Early Prelims
ESPN+4:30 PM

Here's the lineup:

Malcolm Gordon (14-7) vs. Jimmy Flick (16-7)
Yohan Lainesse (9-2) vs. Sam Patterson (10-2-1)
Jasmine Jasudavicius (9-3) vs. Priscila Cachoeira (12-5)
Gillian Robertson (12-8) vs. Polyana Viana (13-6)
Serhiy Sidey (10-1) vs. Ramon Taveras (9-2)
Charles Jourdain (15-6-1) vs. Sean Woodson (10-1-1)
Brad Katona (13-2) vs. Garrett Armfield (9-3)
Arnold Allen (19-2) vs. Movsar Evloev (17-0)
Chris Curtis (30-10, 1 NC) vs. Marc-Andre Barriault (16-6, 1 NC)
Neil Magny (28-11) vs. Mike Malott (10-1-1)
Raquel Pennington (15-8) vs. Mayra Bueno Silva (10-2-1, 1 NC)
Sean Strickland (28-5) vs. Dricus Du Plessis (20-2)

Shillan and Duffy: UFC 297 Preview​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email BEN DUFFY KEITH SHILLAN JAN 15, 2024 COMMENTS
Keith and Ben dive into the Ultimate Fighting Championship's first pay-per-view offering of 2024, with detailed predictions and picks for all 12 fights, including some upsets and some disagreement. Side topics of conversation include pork chops, story time with Keith featuring noted MMA miscreant Charles “Felony” Bennett and, of course, Bo Nickal.

I have crafted the perfect TAP
105840-3867208.png

2579b2c1051862892ef98116ff3b6f95.gif

LMAO at the 2nd half of the countdown show being entirely the early prelim level WMMA fight.

Immediate switch off.

See you savages on Saturday! Have a good week gang! Much love

YT recommended this to me yesterday... I laughed

haha funny seeing that old interview with Rogan, he has changed so much and the times have changed even more. Also your new AV is hilarious, that dinosaur has got hold of your sherdog account now, deary deary me lol.

I just wish there was 2 other good fights on card. I love the main but I'm not paying 85 bucks for 1 fight. I guess I might try an torrent the main if I can figure out how. I have no issue paying the ppv money to support a product I love to watch but not for 1 fight.

No excuse for Dana purposely fucking Canada AGAIN. He hate Canada and Australia something fierce.

I'm curious if Sean's boxing will be enough. What else does he have, really?
I think he's fucked anywhere it is. Standing yeah he's definitely the better technical striker but he's got no serious power an eventually Dricus connects with a bomb. If he doesn't he dominates him on ground I can't see Atrivklsnd winning this

A nice card in Hogtown this week. It’s getting a lot of heat in here. People complain about every single card these days, though. Especially the ppvs. I wouldn’t mind it so much. Except I know 95%+ of the people complaining about every single card don’t pay a single penny to watch them.

The second Canadian card since before Covid. I really liked 289 in Vancouver. Unfortunately the retirement fight of the GOAT. But still quite enjoyable for me.

The ME is getting interesting now. I expect close closing odds in this fight. I’m wondering if the pre-fight soap opera shit affects Strickland in this fight. Like Aldo at 194. It seems to be getting to him. That shit can be the difference in this sport. I’m leaning towards Strickland by decision, but his mental state is a question mark. Here’s where fight week media shit may help me with my pick. Embeddeds, media day, pre-presser, weighins, and faceoffs.

297 also has a vacant BW title fight. With the crap MBS is talking lately, I really want Rocky to beat her. Especially since MBS popped in her last fight and got a mere slap on the wrist. Her win over Holly was overturned to a NC by the NSAC. She got a token 6 month suspension. But is still credited by the UFC, and the rankings as if she got a clean win. And fighting for the title in her next fight. That doesn’t seem right, at all.

Rocky has the edge in experience, and has been in the 5th round of a UFC title fight before. And the level of her opponents is way better than Mayra’s. In the last 9 years Rocky has only lost to 3 women. Holly, GDR, and Amanda. All 3 have been UFC champions. So I’m hoping some part of all that will give her the edge she needs to win.

But Mayra is no joke. Though she now has a record of popping for peds. After a fighter gets busted for peds. I have a real problem believing they’ll ever fight clean after that. There’s always that justifiable doubt for me.
I’m having a little trouble making my pick here. I need to see as much fight week shit as I can this week. I think either of them could win. I haven’t seen the odds, but I expect Mayra is favoured by a bit. And my brain is leaning her way. But I’m definitely cheering for Rocky. I’ll make my pick Saturday morning.

Lots of Canadians on this card. I always enjoy Canadian cards for that reason. Hopefully they do as well in Toronto, as they did in Vancouver. Out of the 9 on the card. I’m pretty confident picking 7 of them to win. But hoping for 9, of course.
Malott will likely end up as a moderate favourite. But Magny is a big step up from anybody Malott has fought so far. And Magny holds wins over ex-champs, and other very good fighters. And hasn’t lost 2 in a row since 2013. He’d love to play spoiler here. I’m not sure of Malott’s ceiling yet, but I believe he can beat Magny.

I’m taking Malott by Sub

Jourdain is inconsistent, but usually has entertaining fights, imo. So I like watching him. He’s giving up big height and reach advantages to Woodson. That alone never tells the story, though. I think he can win by Sub, but most likely by Decision. As long as he brings his “A” game.

Sidey is fighting the guy he beat in his last fight. Which was on the DWCS. So hopefully this one goes the same way for his UFC debut.

Gillian will be looking to get back on the right track after losing to Ricci. And the pick is easy, for me. Gillian is the Sub Queen of the UFC. Her stand-up is weak. But she can take a beating in round 1, and get a finish in round 2.

Gillian by Sub.

Jasmine is just better than Priscila. And also looking to bounce back after a loss. I don’t think much more needs to be said. Jasmine will likely be a moderate favourite.
Jasmine wins by TKO, or Decision.

Canadian girls kick ass.

Just watched episode 1 of embedded. Strickland seems fine. But he’s in Vegas. Dricus is in Toronto. Need to see how they interact with eachother as the week moves on.

Thanks for the thread @PurpleStorm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back