PBP UFC 297 Strickland vs. Du Plessis: Main Card PBP Discussion - Sat 1/20 at 10pm ET / 7pm PT

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Someone else mentioned it too, I HATE Bruce buffer. Always looks at the guy who loses before announcing the winner.

Why are you bringing up SATs? Sounds like you're still in high school lol. Stay in school kid and keep watching tape on fights before trying to judge them as being robberies.
You're a perfect example of how the magic of the internet has allowed the village fool to reach audiences beyond his ancestors wildest dreams.

Good card overall, except the fact that Raquel showed zero urgency to stop that fight which she could've easily done had she just brought back up to the feet.

She has zero killer instinct despite the fact that she was showing 2 levels over Mayra on the feet.

Magny showed a ton of heart tonight, showing the young bucks he's not fuckin done yet.

He didn’t though… after the first round strikes were about even, but DDP was clearly throwing and landing the heavier strikes and also had the TDs. The only clear round for Sean was the 1st.
I watch fights and judge the amount of strikes landed with my own eyes

Not strike stats

You can hit air and they'll count it as a significant strike

Dricus barely landed anything in those first three rounds. Certainly nothing clean. Whatever miniscule strikes he did land were blocked / Sean rolled with them

You don't have a clue what you're watching

But he did land. He missed a lot, too, 'cause Sean is a very defensively sound fighter, but being a bit inefficient shouldn't lose you a fight. You can't just tally up jabs like a scoreboard and whoever has the most wins. Du Plessis got takedowns, threw combinations, was aggressive and simply landed the bigger shots as the fight went on. I would still say 3-2 Strickland can be argued, but a robbery it was not
Only round where he landed more / bigger shots was the 4th.

There's no way anyone can give him the 5th round in good faith.

And he barely hit him at all in the first 3 rounds.

Sean may have been passive, but touching him with the jab consistently counts for a lot more than hitting air while moving forward.

Everyone of reason knows that, it's just some whiny butthurt fools in here XD
I think it's more that there's a majority who don't really know much

And a few who know better, who are correcting the casuals

You know what I noticed? Dana white is spoiling results. Just look at the background where he is standing. He is always standing on the side of winner with belt. Before declaring the winner of Women BW championship he was standing behind Raquel, before Buffer read scores of main event he was standing with belt behind DDP.

Also - I think that Dricus had too much respect for Sean. Or maybe he was afraid of being gassed because he was never in more than 3 round fight. As for now I don't consider either Strickland or DDP elite yet. They are very good and I didn't appreciate Sean's defense but their styles are wild.

First round - Strickland popped him with jab repeatedly. Opened up cuts on DDP. Checked kicks. Got taken down, but it meant NOTHING as he immediately got back up. DDP looked FOOLISH swinging wildly. EASY round to score.

2nd round - Harder to score. DDP once again swung heavily and missed a lot, but he did graze Sean and cut his eye. Sean once again peppered him with the jab and checked kicks. The takedown was meaningless to me as he once again did nothing with it. I call the round EVEN. You simply can't swing like an animal and miss so badly time and time again and get rewarded for optical illusion.

3rd round - Sean's defense was once again beautiful. Leaning back. Checking kicks. Peppering that jab. DDP looked FOOLISH throwing everything into shots and missing BADLY. Sean caught him with a big shot to end the round. Sean wins the round. DDP's face looks TERRIBLE.

Round 4 - Goes to DDP. Big shots. Cut Sean. Couple takedowns. Impressive forward pressing pace and FINALLY started landing significantly.

Round 5 - CLEAR for Sean. He landed the 1-2 heavy and often. He should've thrown that right hand all fight.

I am DONE with the UFC.

This shit is not real.

If only there were a thread to discuss this result.

Also, Du Plessis 2,3,4

Back