Anyone aspire to live outside of the US?

Was going to like your post and then, "hardcore militant vegan". Lmfao, you don't even know me guy, come off it.

I wasn't having a dig at you, I was just being realistic with you. If veganism is important to you (which from the other thread the answer is a glaring yes), then that should definitely be something you should strongly consider when moving.

My friend's wife is vegan in Bangkok and she has endless problems trying to get vegan food here. As I said, consider what is the most important for you and what you are also willing to compromise on. The hard part is that most people in life don't know the answer to those 2 things until they forced out of their comfort zone or lose everything. That is why I suggested that you travel for a long period of time (6 month+) and figure out where your values are and what you need and don't need.

To give context, I grew up right next to the beach and went surfing every week. I now live in a city without a beach and the beaches over here don't have any waves for surfing. That was the biggest compromise I had to make when moving here. I still spend a lot of time at the beach and different islands, but I only surf a couple times a year now. That was a huge adjustment for me.

The other compromise I made when cost of living related. I lived cheaply when I first moved and had to focus on building up my online business. This meant I compromised on diet. Not that I didn't eat well (i ate VERY well), but I rarely had steak, let alone good steak. Steak is one of my favorite foods, so it was a big change. Luckily this was only a temporary compromise as I'm now very financially comfortable and eat dry aged grass fed Australian ribeye every month over here now.

Last edited:
Already have a place(need to know basis) but I love Switzerland. I'd have to give up probably 10 years and more likely than not a passport to make it out there but it might actually be worth it. It's beautiful, clean, and culturally rich. Just stay out in some remote hamlet and when you want some excitement drive or catch the train up to Austria, France, Germany, or Italy and back home in no time. Unfortunately it's not the most inexpensive place. Uruguay and Scotland are great countries too. Malta's pretty alright as well.
what do you like about uruguay?

I wasn't having a dig at you, I was just being realistic with you. If veganism is important to you (which from the other thread the answer is a glaring yes), then that should definitely be something you should strongly consider when moving.

My friend's wife is vegan in Bangkok and she has endless problems trying to get vegan food here. As I said, consider what is the most important for you and what you are also willing to compromise on. The hard part is that most people in life don't know the answer to those 2 things until they forced out of their comfort zone or lose everything. That is why I suggested that you travel for a long period of time (6 month+) and figure out where your values are and what you need and don't need.

To give context, I grew up right next to the beach and went surfing every week. I now live in a city without a beach and the beaches over here don't have any waves for surfing. That was the biggest compromise I had to make when moving here. I still spend a lot of time at the beach and different islands, but I only surf a couple times a year now. That was a huge adjustment for me.

The other compromise I made when cost of living related. I lived cheaply when I first moved and had to focus on building up my online business. This meant I compromised on diet. Not that I didn't eat well (i ate VERY well), but I rarely had steak, let alone good steak. Steak is one of my favorite foods, so it was a big change. Luckily this was only a temporary compromise as I'm now very financially comfortable and eat dry aged grass fed Australian ribeye every month over here now.

I'm too lazy to go find your Thailand AMA thread, but a question just popped up in my mind. How are the bugs and pests in Thailand? Are there any spiders and shit that will fuck your shit up?

I'm too lazy to go find your Thailand AMA thread, but a question just popped up in my mind. How are the bugs and pests in Thailand? Are there any spiders and shit that will fuck your shit up?

I grew up in farms and rural Australia, so nothing that bothers me. I've heard you can get recluse spiders here but haven't seen them. You do get scorpions and centipedes that can give you nasty stings. Had a scorpion in my shoe that stung me once when staying in Korat. Mosquitos are the main bug/pest to look out for. You don't want malaria or dengue fever believe me. Dengue fever was one of the worst things I've had. You also have the odd catapillar that can give you nasty rashes on touch. I had one fuck my arm up when I was running hills in national parks.

There are also these little fuckers that you have to be careful of. If you squish them, their guts will burn your skin badly.

tomcat-636x318.jpg

I've thought about it many times, but still can't put a finger on exactly where I'd go.

Somewhere with a lot of green countryside.

Sorry, maybe wasn't clear before. You CAN directly own without any involvement of a Thai. The building itself must be 51% locally owned, not each individually condo. You can own your own place here freehold. I'm not saying you should though but you can do it easily. I'd recommend to anyone new coming to rent. Rent is cheap and you can always move when situations change.

You can't own land here and businesses must be 51% Thai owned but the US has some agreement with Thailand I think where there are some exceptions.

Are you saying that you can buy an apartment as a foreigner and own it outright with no foreign partnership?

Not American but I couldn't live there. It's like Japan to me, great to visit but good to leave as well

Talk to some of the Irish mate if you think they don't have a problem with drugs.

So far it's Vietnam but I haven't checked out much of Europe or any of south America. Heard Costa Rica was great and catered for western expats, same with Columbia (crimes a lot better but not as good as Columbia.

Philippines esp dumaguete if you're old
Thailand (not my pick)

What's up with Dumaguete?

What's up with Dumaguete?

Nothing I just used it as an example as its got a large expat population(old white guys anyway). I linked you and the others as I know you all have information he could do with if he's serious about relocating to live in another country.

Budget is definitely a constraint so better to point him in the right direction.

Just a quick search of a *truly* stunning region - in general - brought up this.

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/clare/kilfenora/

I don't know if the specific area these houses are in is great, but the region itself was postcard material. €165,000 for a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom, detached house. That's not rock bottom by US price standards, but it's far from super pricey. Outside of the cities I was seeing lots of prices in this range. One thing to consider too is we crossed the entire country in just a few hours - "outside of the cities" means under a 30 minute drive to a major population center. A long European commute is a trip to the store by US rural standards.

I think the cost of living is, in general, a bit higher out there. That being said, I think you could get a nice country home in Ireland, and live in it, for a fraction of living in New York or San Fran or something. Dublin is as expensive as all hell though.

Galway real estate:

http://www.property.ie/estate-agent/gre/

Also not that bad - and it's a decent sized city a quick drive from a truly spectacular coast.
Galway is beautiful, so much of ireland is, capital cities are mostly expensive but outside of that ireland is good in comparison to wages

Already have a place(need to know basis) but I love Switzerland. I'd have to give up probably 10 years and more likely than not a passport to make it out there but it might actually be worth it. It's beautiful, clean, and culturally rich. Just stay out in some remote hamlet and when you want some excitement drive or catch the train up to Austria, France, Germany, or Italy and back home in no time. Unfortunately it's not the most inexpensive place. Uruguay and Scotland are great countries too. Malta's pretty alright as well.
and racist.

I want to live in Sweden. would like to know about living there and the whole immigration process

Nothing I just used it as an example as its got a large expat population(old white guys anyway). I linked you and the others as I know you all have information he could do with if he's serious about relocating to live in another country.

Budget is definitely a constraint so better to point him in the right direction.

I see cause I don't really know anything about Dumaguete never been there nor aware what is happening there.

The majority of the Irish still hate the English, I doubt I'd be welcome.

Actually most of our neighbours hate the English, I think it's just the cool stance to take.

I see cause I don't really know anything about Dumaguete never been there nor aware what is happening there.
Dumaguete topped some list of best retirement places a few years back and every newbie expat flocked there like sheep, resulting in overcrowding, increased crime, horrible traffic, and the place has basically become a victim of it's own success.

Same thing happened to Costa Rica 25 years ago, and it's now an unsafe place with living costs similar to the US. Ecuador has been suffering the same fate for the past 15 years. You gotta stay ahead of the curve with expat destinations, think outside the box, and do your own research, IMO.

Bavaria seems like a very nice place to live. Have always dreamed of living in Germany since I was a teenager, but Merkel and her open door policies have ruined that for me.
Bavaria is fantastic. I don't know if I'd want to live there again (spent part of my childhood there), but it's absolutely stunning to visit.

If I were going to live outside of the US, I'd look at Australia and New Zealand. Both are absolutely beautiful and have so much topography to offer. Anything that you want to do is within your reach, although it may take a flight to get there. It's not terribly expensive either, but your money won't go nearly as far as something in South America or in parts of Eastern Asia.

If you're looking to put your toes into the multicultural water a little bit without taking the full plunge into living in a potential 3rd world country, seriously consider Hawaii. You'll definitely an outsider as a white guy, but everyone speaks the same language, it's an island paradise, and you'll have all the standards/amenities of living in the US (like access to good hospitals, clean water, etc).

Curious as to where you brahs would like to settle down.

The cost of living is getting out of control in this country and idk man, I'm tired of being around people that look and sound like me constantly. I want to live somewhere where the people are different. American culture has become so corporate it's sickening. Everywhere you go it's the same strip mall, the same franchise restaurants, the same looking dumb bimbos with the same looks and the same hipsters.

Would love to settle down outside of this country and be a foreigner in a different land where corporate culture isn't so widespread and the people aren't so culturally homogeneous and into reality tv and pop culture.

First round draft picks would be:

Irish countryside
Ireland-countryside-landscape.jpg

pros:
-quick/cheap access to mainland europe
-irish girls
-lack of strip malls/corporate and pop culture
-rich history and culture
-no drug/gang epidemic
-clean air and water
-could get to a major city like dublin fairly quickly for some nightlife
-people speak my language (barely lol)

cons:
-expensive
-cold

Argentinian Coast
house-dune-luciano-kruk-arquitectos-architecture-residential-buenos-aires-argentina_dezeen_2364_col_7-852x479.jpg

pros:
-cheap. money goes a long way
-live on the beach (I surfed as a kid when I lived in cali and I've always wanted to be back in a position where I could surf daily. GOAT recreational activity)
-ethnic girls
-rich culture and history
-awesome food

cons:
-semi 3rd world
-probably a good deal of drugs/crime

anyone else wanna settle down outside the US? Post where you'd like to go.

Why not just do it then?

What are you waiting for?

Indeed. I just moved to Thailand a couple weeks ago. Love it here.

Back