Anyone aspire to live outside of the US?

Der Eisbär

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curious as to where you brahs would like to settle down.

The cost of living is getting out of control in this country and idk man, I'm tired of being around people that look and sound like me constantly. I want to live somewhere where the people are different. American culture has become so corporate it's sickening. Everywhere you go it's the same strip mall, the same franchise restaurants, the same looking dumb bimbos with the same looks and the same hipsters.

Would love to settle down outside of this country and be a foreigner in a different land where corporate culture isn't so widespread and the people aren't so culturally homogeneous and into reality tv and pop culture.

First round draft picks would be:

Irish countryside
Ireland-countryside-landscape.jpg

pros:
-quick/cheap access to mainland europe
-irish girls
-lack of strip malls/corporate and pop culture
-rich history and culture
-no drug/gang epidemic
-clean air and water
-could get to a major city like dublin fairly quickly for some nightlife
-people speak my language (barely lol)

cons:
-expensive
-cold

Argentinian Coast
house-dune-luciano-kruk-arquitectos-architecture-residential-buenos-aires-argentina_dezeen_2364_col_7-852x479.jpg

pros:
-cheap. money goes a long way
-live on the beach (I surfed as a kid when I lived in cali and I've always wanted to be back in a position where I could surf daily. GOAT recreational activity)
-ethnic girls
-rich culture and history
-awesome food

cons:
-semi 3rd world
-probably a good deal of drugs/crime

anyone else wanna settle down outside the US? Post where you'd like to go.

Just went to Ireland. Houses out in the country in the west weren't pricey at all.

Just went to Ireland. Houses out in the country in the west weren't pricey at all.
What prices were you seeing? Isn't the overall cost of living just a little higher compared to the US, as in food, gas, cars, etc?

Just a quick search of a *truly* stunning region - in general - brought up this.

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/clare/kilfenora/

I don't know if the specific area these houses are in is great, but the region itself was postcard material. €165,000 for a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom, detached house. That's not rock bottom by US price standards, but it's far from super pricey. Outside of the cities I was seeing lots of prices in this range. One thing to consider too is we crossed the entire country in just a few hours - "outside of the cities" means under a 30 minute drive to a major population center. A long European commute is a trip to the store by US rural standards.

I think the cost of living is, in general, a bit higher out there. That being said, I think you could get a nice country home in Ireland, and live in it, for a fraction of living in New York or San Fran or something. Dublin is as expensive as all hell though.

Galway real estate:

http://www.property.ie/estate-agent/gre/

Also not that bad - and it's a decent sized city a quick drive from a truly spectacular coast.

I'd love to live in northern Europe.

It's hot as shit here.

Not American but I couldn't live there. It's like Japan to me, great to visit but good to leave as well

Talk to some of the Irish mate if you think they don't have a problem with drugs.

So far it's Vietnam but I haven't checked out much of Europe or any of south America. Heard Costa Rica was great and catered for western expats, same with Columbia (crimes a lot better but not as good as Columbia.

Philippines esp dumaguete if you're old
Thailand (not my pick)

I think about it. It has to be somewhere that isn't a shithole, has a comparable quality of living compared to me US and the cost of living significantly less than the US to make it worthwhile.

Just a quick search of a *truly* stunning region - in general - brought up this.

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/clare/kilfenora/

I don't know if the specific area these houses are in is great, but the region itself was postcard material. €165,000 for a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom, detached house. That's not rock bottom by US price standards, but it's far from super pricey. Outside of the cities I was seeing lots of prices in this range. One thing to consider too is we crossed the entire country in just a few hours - "outside of the cities" means under a 30 minute drive to a major population center. A long European commute is a trip to the store by US rural standards.

I think the cost of living is, in general, a bit higher out there. That being said, I think you could get a nice country home in Ireland, and live in it, for a fraction of living in New York or San Fran or something. Dublin is as expensive as all hell though.

Galway real estate:

http://www.property.ie/estate-agent/gre/

Also not that bad - and it's a decent sized city a quick drive from a truly spectacular coast.
Thats awesome, and encouraging. Thanks

I think about it. It has to be somewhere that isn't a shithole, has a comparable quality of living compared to me US and the cost of living significantly less than the US to make it worthwhile.
Costa Rica/Argentina brah

I'd love to visit. Don't know if I could live there though with that cost of living, cold, and impending muslim invasion

I see Cascadia in your location listing there... If I'm not mistaken, that's a region spanning between Oregon and British Columbia - so, not like L.A. or something. Ireland doesn't really get all that cold. Its climate is pretty close to what you'd find in Seattle for temperature. I don't think you'd find it all that bad there depending on what you're used to... As for the Muslim invasion, Ireland is one of the only European countries with a high birthrate and I didn't see a fraction of the Muslims in Dublin that I did in Brussels, Vienna, and London ;)

Depends on what kind of job is lined up in said country, or how much retirement money I have saved up. Where ever it is, it has to have lots of different types of food, or a short plane ride to tasty meals.

I see Cascadia in your location listing there... If I'm not mistaken, that's a region spanning between Oregon and British Columbia - so, not like L.A. or something. Ireland doesn't really get all that cold. Its climate is pretty close to what you'd find in Seattle for temperature. I don't think you'd find it all that bad there depending on what you're used to... As for the Muslim invasion, Ireland is one of the only European countries with a high birthrate and I didn't see a fraction of the Muslims in Dublin that I did in Brussels, Vienna, and London ;)
I was referring to that other poster talking about living in Northern Europe.
Am aware on Dublin's high birthrate and climate. That fresh coastal air year round though, hnnnnggg.

I was referring to that other poster talking about living in Northern Europe.
Am aware on Dublin's high birthrate and climate. That fresh coastal air year round though, hnnnnggg.

Damn. Truth is I'm just trying to get you to leave the country. Have you considered Syria? I hear real estate prices have bombed there...

Damn. Truth is I'm just trying to get you to leave the country. Have you considered Syria? I hear real estate prices have bombed there...
Trust me, I'm working on it. probably looking at a ten year exit strategy though

Depends on what kind of job is lined up in said country, or how much retirement money I have saved up. Where ever it is, it has to have lots of different types of food, or a short plane ride to tasty meals.

Yeah, I've kind of been prodding the waters regarding that. Going to school to get into environmental law and have no idea what it takes to practice law in Europe. If anything though I'm sure I could land a consulting type job over there if I complete my schooling and get a resume under me.

Not American but I couldn't live there. It's like Japan to me, great to visit but good to leave as well

Talk to some of the Irish mate if you think they don't have a problem with drugs.

So far it's Vietnam but I haven't checked out much of Europe or any of south America. Heard Costa Rica was great and catered for western expats, same with Columbia (crimes a lot better but not as good as Columbia.

Philippines esp dumaguete if you're old
Thailand (not my pick)
Not saying there isn't a problem, but there's no epidemic. Most of the major cities on earth are basically going through a drug epidemic imo. Bangkok would be pretty sweet man. I've seen that brand new apartments in a big beautiful high rise in Bangkok are like 60k.

Germany, just gotta learn the language first.

Back