Ye ol' Eat, Drink and be Married Vol 13 "the landscaping disappeared in 2000" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I helped Elizabeth put all the Xmas stuff away, but every chance I got, I was sitting down. She eventually just handed me ornaments to put in the boxes/storage container so I didn't have to keep getting up. I knew that wasn't her ideal situation of me helping, but she was certainly gracious about it.

Hey, all. I hope everyone had a safe holiday. I brought in 2013 much like I brought in 2005 (my 21st birthday): on the couch watching T.V. Despite what my age might indicate, I've been an old man for roughly 8 years :)

You're not an old man until you're doing that in only your boxers.

I have a bad feeling 2013 is going to be stressful as shit. Here are our options, both quit our jobs and move to Bay Area from Boston area (my wife is originally from San Fran) with nothing and maybe 10k in savings before moving expense. She quits and we move down to providence area to be closer to my job but that leaves my wife without a job in an area with some of the highest unemployment in the country. Or I quit my job and we attempt to find both a new job in Boston area and attempt to buy a house.

This sucks.

Why do one or both of you need to quit your job(s)? I'm missing something here I guess

Why do one or both of you need to quit your job(s)? I'm missing something here I guess

Sorry, realize I didn't include all details. She's unhappy at work and I commute 45 miles one way to my job so we can't just stay where we are with her finding a new job because my commute is killing us. Also she's incredibly homesick for San Fran so we are trying to figure out what to do. House prices in RI are cheaper but it would be hard finding a job for her.

would moving somewhere in between your two places of employment work gabe?

the first decison is whether or not you are moving to sf

if your staying where you are then she can look and find a job closer to your work but stay where you are until then

Hey dudes. I'm still alive. I always miss the threads when they get locked. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and a safe and happy New Year celebration. I still haven't gotten medical clearance from the clinic at the shipyard so I'm still waiting to start working. They are moving very slowly.

There are lots of neighborhoods built like that around here. The old house still exists in the nice neighborhood. During the housing boom those people in the old houses just sold the land around them and didn't bother to move or rebuild themselves. It looks really strange.

welcome back man.

TS should add a poll to this thread so that we could find it easier:

Should i add a poll to this thread to find it easier:
[ ] yes
[ ] no

would moving somewhere in between your two places of employment work gabe?

the first decison is whether or not you are moving to sf

if your staying where you are then she can look and find a job closer to your work but stay where you are until then

We have thought about moving in between but we shes unhappy with work and doesn't really want to keep working there. She's the director of an animal shelter and while no kill its just taking its toll on her. She wants to get back into zoo keeping but hasn't had any luck.

I feel your pain on the 40+mile commute. Mine's just under 50 each way...

I think KO has a point about moving between the two... In this market, finding a niche job like yours seems like scary and difficult proposition...
Can she not get a position with your zoo?

Start your own zoo!

Your Mayberry groupies alone could keep you guys in business.

I feel your pain on the 40+mile commute. Mine's just under 50 each way...

I think KO has a point about moving between the two... In this market, finding a niche job like yours seems like scary and difficult proposition...
Can she not get a position with your zoo?

My zoo hired 4 new keepers last year and not sure when they will be hiring again. She's kicking herself for not applying but had hoped to have things work out at her current job. You never know when a job will come available. Ideally that's what we would want since my job pays decent for a keeper job and in providence area we could have a decent life. But we have no idea when that could happen, she is waiting to hear back from a zoo close to my work which would be ideal but we aren't keeping our fingers crossed.

Start your own zoo!

Your Mayberry groupies alone could keep you guys in business.

This is also something we have recently talked about, seriously too. We just don't have access to the capital it would take to start such a facility. But thanks guys, figured this was the best place to talk about this stuff.

So, followup time:
I was able to keep my job after all that turmoil a couple weeks back, but there have been some major downsides. Mainly, they have cut our hours drastically and are basically keeping up on board to be on hand when the next round of work hits (was supposed to be this week, but probably won't be for a week or two)... That being said, last week and this week they reduced our hours to just 2-10 hour shifts... That really puts a damper on our household finances when I was consitantly getting 50+ hour shifts... Which really sucks when my wife is going to be on vacation 2 out of the next 3 weeks... ugh. Sometimes I hate money.... Othertimes I loathe it.

Do you know anybody who could hook you up with side work? My buddy owns a granite and tile shop so I work for him at $10/hour cash on my days off sometimes. It's not a ton of money, but $80-160 a week in hand unreported goes a long way to help supplement my income. I have a few connections like that but generally stick to the granite/tile thing.

Here's a more manageable business idea for ya...

As parents of small children, I'm sure we've all been to these Saturday afternoon birthday parties at various places...arcades, jungle gym type places, bouncy houses, gymnastics, etc.

So here's what you do...rent out about 4,000 square feet in some warehouse building - these places are all over and have plenty of occupancy available for a decent price. You deck it out with animal-themed decor from top to bottom, build a couple private rooms for the groups to have their cake and open gifts. Then in the main area you put some basic animals on display - probably nothing too exotic, whatever you can get your hands on that would be comfortable living there. Then you have a portion of the party where you, the animal handler, brings the animals out to the kids and lets them touch them, play with them, whatever. I'm obviously talking about safe animals here - puppies, kittens, lizards, turtles, snakes, ferrets, whatever. So one at a time, you go get the animal and all the kids sit in a circle and wait for you to bring the next animal out, tell them a little bit about it and let them pet it or hold it, etc. Have some other activities available like coloring or painting, etc for any down time they have.

Beyond you and your wife, you'd only need like 3 or 4 $9/hour employees to man the front desk and chaperone things a little bit...get some HS girls interested in teaching kindergarten some day and they'll work for nothing just to get the opportunity to work with little kids. You can borrow puppies and kittens from the animal shelter and I'm sure you've got ways to get your hands on some snakes, turtles, put in an aquarium, etc.

Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Party Palace

Genius!!

Do you know anybody who could hook you up with side work? My buddy owns a granite and tile shop so I work for him at $10/hour cash on my days off sometimes. It's not a ton of money, but $80-160 a week in hand unreported goes a long way to help supplement my income. I have a few connections like that but generally stick to the granite/tile thing.

I was freelancing for the company that laid me off a while back making damn good money on the side (more than my hourly rate since it's consulting work) but they seem to be hurting pretty badly right now for work... I'll reach out though, just in case they could use a hand. Thanks for the reminder

Apply at the Cincinnati Zoo, Gabe. They've got some big expansion going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back