Worried about CTE killing MMA? Media likely overstating dangers - scientists weigh in

Video here;

Cliffs;

In recent years CTE has received a disproportionate amount of criticism in the North American media, particularly in the USA and Canada.

Scientists are now pushing back against the media narrative. Suicides have now been reported amongst people who have mis self diagnosed with CTE despite actually having treatable conditions.

CTE diagnosis is subjective. The Jordan Parsons case scared a lot of people because he had few fights and few tko losses. Other scientists might not have been able to find anything in the brain of Parsons.

The sport with the highest rate of concussions is horse riding, yet there is little talk of CTE in that sport.

Lol I love a thread where the title says scientists weigh in.

We need a CTE division in the UFC

Overstated or not, we still have Gary Goodridge. And Stipe sounds worse every time I hear him.

And holyfield and gray Maynard and liddell and a ton of former fighters.
Cte is real

Do we really need a team of scientists to tell us that getting hit in the head repeatedly by some of the hardest hitting people in the world isn't good for your brain?

You need it if you have no common sense

I think what he’s also saying is that some of the research and theories out there about CTE haven’t been fantastic science.

There was a review of all the CTE cases new and old by a scientist called Gardner, he said that there is probably at least two undiscovered/unnamed brain conditions out there that are a consequence of repeated blows to the head.

Personally I think he’s on the mark there. I think “CTE” will develop a more nuanced definition into two or more distinct diseases.

As far as the NFL acknowledging a link I think they are covering their bases because they know people will still play football.

Edit;

Here it is;

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&q=Gardner+new+vs+old+CTE&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=9ZeXLiMsYZUJ
The article makes for an interesting read for sure, but the best clinic in the world, Mayo Clinic, says that cte is real. That's pretty much enough for me.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...c-encephalopathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20370921

Scientists are pushing back? Who are the ones that brought this to light in the first place?

Who are the ones that brought this to light in the first place?

Well Dr Bennet Omalu went around describing CTE as his “brand”.

The fact that someone would compare a disease to a personal brand to me suggests they are probably quite the self interested individual.

So you could say it’s one group of scientists pushing back against another group.

No one is saying getting hit in the head is a good thing though.

The article makes for an interesting read for sure, but the best clinic in the world, Mayo Clinic, says that cte is real. That's pretty much enough for me.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...c-encephalopathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20370921

I think it’s real (clinically) I.e. the symptoms slurred speech, motor skill impairment etc.

I’m not convinced the features they are finding in deceased played brains (e.g. accumulation of tau protein) explain the effects that people are presenting with.

And holyfield and gray Maynard and liddell and a ton of former fighters.
Cte is real

I’ve not heard Gray Maynard or Holyfield recently.

Chuck Liddel took massive amounts of drugs so I don’t think you can necessarily put that down to head trauma.

It could be the head trauma or it could be the drugs, hard to say for sure.

I think I found the spokes person for CTE. The poor guy can barely put a sentence together.

I think I found the spokes person for CTE. The poor guy can barely put a sentence together.

Damn, this is bad.
Look at Ariel, so tense and concentrated trying to decipher nick's rant.

Didn’t he start boxing when was about 17 or 18 or so?

If you go by the BU model of CTE that is very early onset.

Aaron Hernandez who some people cite as the earliest onset case started playing football when he was 8 so there is significant difference between him and Diaz.

Of course the media blows everything up. but you would still be better of trusting what they say about CTE then whatever the NFL or fightpromoters will say about it, because they need to make money too and they really don't give a fuck what happens to their athletes once they are done (making money for them).
You don't have to be an expert to understand that a lot of big hits to the head over years and years will damage the brain, that is 100% certain, no matter what anyone says.
Kinda like how anyone can just look at the black smoke comming out of a factory chimnee and know for a fact that it's not good for the enviroment.
If it was, we would re-route it into our kids bedrooms for good health, but no-one does, soooo.............

A lot of it is pollution with speculation with media and largely the fans themselves. If you want to hear CTE you will hear it. It's make believe.

Of course the media blows everything up. but you would still be better of trusting what they say about CTE then whatever the NFL or fightpromoters will say about it....

Yes but if the scientists are speaking out then we might as well listen to them.

If CTE hasn't brought down boxing it sure the hell isn't going to bring down MMA.

I’ve not heard Gray Maynard or Holyfield recently.

Chuck Liddel took massive amounts of drugs so I don’t think you can necessarily put that down to head trauma.

It could be the head trauma or it could be the drugs, hard to say for sure.
Everyone that gets hit in the head loses brain cells and neural networks get destroyed. Everyone loses the same amount of brain cells.

I think that there are 2 kinds of people:

1) Group 1's brains are very bad at rewiring the destroyed neural networks with their remaining brain cells to "fix" the damage. These guys end up retarded.

2) Group 2's brains are very good at rewiring the destroyed neural networks their remaining brain cells to "fix" the damage. These guys can eat tons of punishment and barely seem effected.

It's like group 1's brains are made out of plastic and group 2's brains are made out of slime. If you punch a hole in plastic, the hole just stays there. If you punch a hole in slime, the rest of the slime just oozes into the hole and fixes it. Both "lose" the same amount of material but only the plastic has any "damage".

How can taking drugs interfere with this? Drugs fuck up your brains ability to rewire itself. So, if you're drunk or high a lot then your brain never gets the chance to fix itself and even if you have the genetics for group #2, you're going to end up in group #1. So smoking pot alone may not do much bad stuff to your brain. If you're in group #2 then even fighting may not do much bad stuff to your brain. But smoking pot and fighting will do very bad stuff to your brain.

It's just my idea. No one's explored this scientifically and I don't know how you could, ethically. Lol. But it makes sense to me. And it seems to pan out in the real world.

Who, the hell, is beating up these jockeys?!

..and is there video footage?

Back