Worried about CTE killing MMA? Media likely overstating dangers - scientists weigh in

SandaKicker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Video here;

Cliffs;

In recent years CTE has received a disproportionate amount of criticism in the North American media, particularly in the USA and Canada.

Scientists are now pushing back against the media narrative. Suicides have now been reported amongst people who have mis self diagnosed with CTE despite actually having treatable conditions.

CTE diagnosis is subjective. The Jordan Parsons case scared a lot of people because he had few fights and few tko losses. Other scientists might not have been able to find anything in the brain of Parsons.

The sport with the highest rate of concussions is horse riding, yet there is little talk of CTE in that sport.

Edit; Investigative journalist at the Washington Post alleges that CTE star Bennet Omalu is either a fraud or incompetent;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/sports/cte-bennet-omalu/

Last edited:
My head bounced off the pavement a few times while skateboarding and Im fine!
*babble and drool*

I doubt the media overstates the dangers of CTE.

Then why are the actual scientists saying it? These aren't your average Junior Doctor, they are elite professionals in the field of Neuroscience.

Gary Solomon;

Christopher Randolph;

Professor Joe Clark;

The media should not report about CTE since cases of it are different. Some are more minor, some severe, yet if you report about CTE as a general term people think they're all the same. The misinformation suicides come from that.

Last edited:
The media should not report about CTE since cases of it are different. Some are treatable and more minor, some severe, yet if you report about CTE as a general term people think they're all the same. The misinformation suicides come from that.

Agreed, for the most part their agenda is a to drive sales, make people shit themselves when they see the headlines and either click on the link or buy the paper etc.

Their goal is not a conscientious dissemination of factual information for the greater good.

Media is shit. It is mind pollution.

Overstated or not, we still have Gary Goodridge. And Stipe sounds worse every time I hear him.

"In fact, CTE is strong" - Sakuraba

As always, things are either swept under the carpet or, once they are out, blown out of proportion.

Reality usually lies somewhere in the middle...

Video here;

Cliffs;

In recent years CTE has received a disproportionate amount of criticism in the North American media, particularly in the USA and Canada.

Scientists are now pushing back against the media narrative. Suicides have now been reported amongst people who have mis self diagnosed with CTE despite actually having treatable conditions.

CTE diagnosis is subjective. The Jordan Parsons case scared a lot of people because he had few fights and few tko losses. Other scientists might not have been able to find anything in the brain of Parsons.

The sport with the highest rate of concussions is horse riding, yet there is little talk of CTE in that sport.

Would you say Colby Covington suffered CTE? He had a broken jaw and with that broken jaw he was knocked down 3 times and then rabbit punched in the back of the head loads of times. This effected him so much he ran out of the ring and then covered his head in a blanket. I'm really worried for him, as he always mouths off but he has been silent like a mouse. You think he has permanent CTE?

Media is shit. It is mind pollution.

Or, perhaps, this overgeneralization and refusal to believe anything but what you believe is in itself mind pollution. Yes, be a critical thinker and be skeptical--but for god's sakes, most reporters work incredibly hard to bring the best information they can to people. The Hannitys of the world are evil because they purposely and knowingly package information as righteous truth, but your everyday reporter on the beat is doing his/her job in good faith, and our society is better off for it.

I think athletes should be informed about CTE, but it's also their choice. I don't see why CTE should kill MMA.

Would you say Colby Covington suffered CTE? He had a broken jaw and with that broken jaw he was knocked down 3 times and then rabbit punched in the back of the head loads of times. This effected him so much he ran out of the ring and then covered his head in a blanket. I'm really worried for him, as he always mouths off but he has been silent like a mouse. You think he has permanent CTE?

That sounds like post concussion syndrome not CTE;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-concussion_syndrome

but your everyday reporter on the beat is doing his/her job in good faith, and our society is better off for it.

I’m not sure about that.

I think some of the misinformation out there on CTE stems from negligence as much as it does from anything malicious.

One thing is for sure; there are a bunch of scientists saying the media are putting out misrepresentative information about CTE that is doing more harm than good.

If CTE fears don't kill the NFL they won't kill MMA.

Do we really need a team of scientists to tell us that getting hit in the head repeatedly by some of the hardest hitting people in the world isn't good for your brain?

Do we really need a team of scientists to tell us that getting hit in the head repeatedly by some of the hardest hitting people in the world isn't good for your brain?

You would think that getting a piece of your brain removed wouldn’t be good for either but that’s actually not the case

People who have pieces of brain removed/brain surgery often make complete recoveries.

Then why are the actual scientists saying it? These aren't your average Junior Doctor, they are elite professionals in the field of Neuroscience.

Gary Solomon;

Christopher Randolph;

Professor Joe Clark;

what do they say ?

Back