Worried about CTE killing MMA? Media likely overstating dangers - scientists weigh in

Havent watched it yet but
I wonder if its the same hand picked scientists paid for by the NFL who are saying CTE is being overstated.lol

In 2015 The British Medical Journal published an article where they said;

“CTE as defined in America is not a neurological entity but a social, cultural phenomenon”

The original article is hidden behind a pay wall.

However, the response section is viewable and you can see in this response that quotes from the article that the article stated that;

https://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h1381/rapid-responses

Do you think the NFL paid the British to take such a derisive point of view?

The BMJ is a hardcore science publication. The British equivalent of JAMMA. They don’t publish articles lightly.

Concussions =/ CTE you dolt which is why nobody cares about horse riding. CTE comes repeated blows that don't have to result in a concussion. NFL practices and boxing/mma sparring is where CTE develops more than the games and fight nights
Concussions =/ CTE you dolt which is why nobody cares about horse riding. CTE comes repeated blows that don't have to result in a concussion. NFL practices and boxing/mma sparring is where CTE develops more than the games and fight nights

Subconcussive blows leading to CTE is a theory represented by a scientific minority.

The majority believe repeated concussions are a greater factor.

I guess theoretically if someone did nothing but bump their head against a wall for 10 years they would deplete their cognitive reserve but realistically no one is going to do that.

I will post links from lectures with time stamps I’m on the move right now

I doubt anyone gets into MMA thinking getting punched in the face is good for you.

If they ban violent sports, they will just go underground, which is way worse for the participants

Would you say Colby Covington suffered CTE? He had a broken jaw and with that broken jaw he was knocked down 3 times and then rabbit punched in the back of the head loads of times. This effected him so much he ran out of the ring and then covered his head in a blanket. I'm really worried for him, as he always mouths off but he has been silent like a mouse. You think he has permanent CTE?
No. That is called being humbled syndrome. Severe cases are diagnosed as Rouseyosis.

Propaganda tool for who? Like, what's the end game of this "propaganda"? Who is benefitting?

I don't think you know what propaganda is lol.
Do you think propaganda has to "benefit" someone directly? Harming the NFL's reputation could have easily been a motive for a propaganda piece like that. I don't think you understand what propaganda is.

If you wish CTE on anyone even a guy like Colby you are a piece of shit.
This isn't a funny thing to deal with. He's a human being. Go be some liberal bitch elsewhere man. Grow up.
No I don't wish it on any human being in this world. Only Colby. The coksukker is no human being. A racist inbred imbecile. Just to give you an example, he called Plat Perry's wife a whore and a horseface. He made fun out of dead people. I leave it to a dik like you to search google for the info. I delight in the mo fukker like him and Trump getting brain damage. Permanent hopefully. Any other human being, I would never.

Video here;

Cliffs;

In recent years CTE has received a disproportionate amount of criticism in the North American media, particularly in the USA and Canada.

Scientists are now pushing back against the media narrative. Suicides have now been reported amongst people who have mis self diagnosed with CTE despite actually having treatable conditions.

CTE diagnosis is subjective. The Jordan Parsons case scared a lot of people because he had few fights and few tko losses. Other scientists might not have been able to find anything in the brain of Parsons.

The sport with the highest rate of concussions is horse riding, yet there is little talk of CTE in that sport.

if people were worried about CTE killing MMA, Boxing would be dead a long time ago. and NFL

CTE won't stop MMA, it can stop fighter, but new material always shows up.

Fighters are the healthiest people on the planet

Periods of calorie restriction
Exercise
Healthy diet most of the time
Blood loss - people who donate blood are healthier and live longer (get rid of excess iron)

It's interesting that even nfl acknowledged the link between playing football and cte.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...link-between-football-brain-disorders-n538381

What the author of the study "Cte is not a real disease" is actually saying that cte is not possible to 100% verify like every other disease, but it's possible to diagnose it only post-mortem, which slowes down research as it's limited to athletes who donate their brains to reasearch after their death, and that's a pretty small sample I reckon.

CTE isn't subjective: it can be tested for via brain scans. Now the media might be over-hyping how often it occurs, but that doesn't mean it is subjective.

CTE isn't subjective: it can be tested for via brain scans. Now the media might be over-hyping how often it occurs, but that doesn't mean it is subjective.

CTE is identified by staining regions of the brain with immunohistochemical agents and then inspection via microscope.

To say “scan” sounds like a computer is involved.

It's interesting that even nfl acknowledged the link between playing football and cte.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...link-between-football-brain-disorders-n538381

What the author of the study "Cte is not a real disease" is actually saying that cte is not possible to 100% verify like every other disease, but it's possible to diagnose it only post-mortem, which slowes down research as it's limited to athletes who donate their brains to reasearch after their death, and that's a pretty small sample I reckon.

I think what he’s also saying is that some of the research and theories out there about CTE haven’t been fantastic science.

There was a review of all the CTE cases new and old by a scientist called Gardner, he said that there is probably at least two undiscovered/unnamed brain conditions out there that are a consequence of repeated blows to the head.

Personally I think he’s on the mark there. I think “CTE” will develop a more nuanced definition into two or more distinct diseases.

As far as the NFL acknowledging a link I think they are covering their bases because they know people will still play football.

Edit;

Here it is;

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...+vs+old+CTE&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=9ZeXLiMsYZUJ

Last edited:
No I don't wish it on any human being in this world. Only Colby. The coksukker is no human being. A racist inbred imbecile. Just to give you an example, he called Plat Perry's wife a whore and a horseface. He made fun out of dead people. I leave it to a dik like you to search google for the info. I delight in the mo fukker like him and Trump getting brain damage. Permanent hopefully. Any other human being, I would never.
If you really think colby is the worst person in earth,hell even MMA fighter you need to grow up

Do you think propaganda has to "benefit" someone directly?

That is the whole point of propaganda. To promote a specific point of view or cause. It's literally the definition of propaganda.

Harming the NFL's reputation could have easily been a motive for a propaganda piece like that

So Ridley Scott, Sony Pictures etc etc made a movie to harm the NFL's reputation. Why? What the fuck do any of the people involved in that movie care about harming the NFL? What are they gaining by this?

Jesus Christ when did this place turn into a moronic conspiracy theory hub?

That is the whole point of propaganda. To promote a specific point of view or cause. It's literally the definition of propaganda.

So Ridley Scott, Sony Pictures etc etc made a movie to harm the NFL's reputation. Why? What the fuck do any of the people involved in that movie care about harming the NFL? What are they gaining by this?

Jesus Christ when did this place turn into a moronic conspiracy theory hub?
You act so dumb yet you have the gall to call others morons. Propaganda does not have to directly promote anything. Many propaganda techniques do not directly promote something, rather they attack the opposing view point,cause, organization, or person with lies and faulty statistics. If what TS posted is true, the film would cleanly fall under the category of propaganda. I'm not trying to convince you that it is propaganda, I simply posted a joke. Stop being so thickheaded.

Would you say Colby Covington suffered CTE? He had a broken jaw and with that broken jaw he was knocked down 3 times and then rabbit punched in the back of the head loads of times. This effected him so much he ran out of the ring and then covered his head in a blanket. I'm really worried for him, as he always mouths off but he has been silent like a mouse. You think he has permanent CTE?
I sure hope so.

Back