Worried about CTE killing MMA? Media likely overstating dangers - scientists weigh in

what do they say ?

Gary Solomon says;

“There’s a dramatic disconnect between some published studies, what the public thinks and what scientific consensus (majority) tells us

Joe Clark says;

“The evidence on CTE is not great, the press on CTE is”.

IDk. I hope this is accurate. I can say from anecdotal experience, I had a concusssion as a 10 year old, then two more playing football in high school (I played the next week, this was right before all th CTE stufff blew up). I never had issues growing up, but despite have an iq or 140, I forgot names of people I’ve known forever, frequently forget what day it is, can be extremely impulsive, struggle with severe anxiety and depression. Seems like something happened. Then again, mental health issues run in my family. So, idk. Certainly seems and feels like something changed.

Spoke to a friend I played football with who went on to play in college. He feels the same way.

Would you say Colby Covington suffered CTE? He had a broken jaw and with that broken jaw he was knocked down 3 times and then rabbit punched in the back of the head loads of times. This effected him so much he ran out of the ring and then covered his head in a blanket. I'm really worried for him, as he always mouths off but he has been silent like a mouse. You think he has permanent CTE?
Dude, what’s wrong with you? You’ve literally posted about Colby nonstop since the fight ended. We get it. He lost.

IDk. I hope this is accurate. I can say from anecdotal experience, I had a concusssion as a 10 year old, then two more playing football in high school (I played the next week, this was right before all th CTE stufff blew up). I never had issues growing up, but despite have an iq or 140, I forgot names of people I’ve known forever, frequently forget what day it is, can be extremely impulsive, struggle with severe anxiety and depression. Seems like something happened. Then again, mental health issues run in my family. So, idk. Certainly seems and feels like something changed.

Spoke to a friend I played football with who went on to play in college. He feels the same way.
And this highlights the problems with how the media blew the CTE shit entirely out of proportion, normal people have been convinced that any of these "symptoms" are signs of CTE. They're NOT. They're simply symptoms of being a human being with thousands of things running through your head every day. I've never played football or any contact sport, never had a concussion. These things you describe are things I've experienced my entire adult life. It's normal. Now people with head aches or that forget what they did yesterday think they have CTE.

The media should not report about CTE since cases of it are different. Some are more minor, some severe, yet if you report about CTE as a general term people think they're all the same. The misinformation suicides come from that.

The same is true for cancer, quite a few viruses including the flu, spinal injuries, illnesses like multiple sclerosis, . Should the media stop reporting about those as well?

I'd argue that the problem is not that the media reports on them, but that many of the reports are uninformed.

Last edited:
The same is true for cancer, quite a few viruses including the flu, spinal injuries, illnesses like multiple sclerosis, . Should the media stop reporting about those as well?

I'd argue that the problem is that the media reports on them, but that many of the reports are uninformed.

Generalization leads to misinformation. They won't stop, but for sure stop generalizing so that people don't hang themselves in panic. Be more specific, which means research. If not, better not touch the topic at all.

If CTE fears don't kill the NFL they won't kill MMA.
Lol are you serious??? I'm not saying cte will affect mma (it wont) but your argument is ridiculous. The NFL is the biggest most entrenched sport in the US nothing is going to affect it anytime soon. Mma would absolutely be affected before football would. Imagine thinking mma has more staying power than the NFL.

Media is shit. It is mind pollution.
Mind pollution unlike reading Sherdog posts by these numbnuts :rolleyes:

Not attacking you by the way, I’m just shocked how this forum still surprises me after all these years.

Would you say Colby Covington suffered CTE? He had a broken jaw and with that broken jaw he was knocked down 3 times and then rabbit punched in the back of the head loads of times. This effected him so much he ran out of the ring and then covered his head in a blanket. I'm really worried for him, as he always mouths off but he has been silent like a mouse. You think he has permanent CTE?

Ha, still triggered by Chaos!
{<jordan}

I think athletes should be informed about CTE, but it's also their choice. I don't see why CTE should kill MMA.

Yea, probably.
There are sports/activities out there that are inherently dangerous.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/thatsracin/article9152399.html
520 deaths over a 25 year period

https://www.businessinsider.com/mount-everest-10th-deadliest-mountain-himalayas-2019-5
Each peak has different fatality stats, and frostbite stats, but this is pretty damn dangerous.

Can’t stop people from doing what they want, but maybe medical and technical qualifications should have higher standards....

Then why are the actual scientists saying it? These aren't your average Junior Doctor, they are elite professionals in the field of Neuroscience.

Gary Solomon;

Christopher Randolph;

Professor Joe Clark;

It’s 2019, scientists are bought and paid for.

There’s why the majority opinions are so important.

Are you saying 70-80% of the science world is bought out by the sports world.

Many of them have no disclosed conflict of interest. That would involve a lot of under the table payments.

And this highlights the problems with how the media blew the CTE shit entirely out of proportion, normal people have been convinced that any of these "symptoms" are signs of CTE. They're NOT. They're simply symptoms of being a human being with thousands of things running through your head every day. I've never played football or any contact sport, never had a concussion. These things you describe are things I've experienced my entire adult life. It's normal. Now people with head aches or that forget what they did yesterday think they have CTE.
I pray you’re right. I really need to do more research into it. Honestly, the whole discussion just horrifies me. Thanks for the input. Helpful to know it very well just might be the reality of being a very busy adult.

That's always been the case. Scientists have to eat and need a home, and a place to do their research -- and have for a very long time.

No one can understand all aspects of science. Find someone who has research scientist levels of understanding of quantum mechanics, biochemistry, artificial intelligence, medicine, chemistry --- no such individual exists. We all end up trusting (or not trusting) what scientists say. And most of the time we trust things we find convenient to trust, and distrust things we find convenient to distrust.

Right now people argue about climate modelling and vaccines (and CTE's here), and I suppose evolution. But that's just cherry picking, most people have no more reason to believe in quantum mechanics or relativity or DNA or any other aspect of science, because few have actually studied them. Its just cherry picking which science you choose to believe or disbelieve.

I pray you’re right. I really need to do more research into it. Honestly, the whole discussion just horrifies me. Thanks for the input. Helpful to know it very well just might be the reality of being a very busy adult.
That's the issue, there is no legitimate research a normal person can do. The info out there is at the very best, theory being portrayed as fact. There really aren't any facts at all, almost everything about CTE is unproven theory.

Agreed, for the most part their agenda is a to drive sales, make people shit themselves when they see the headlines and either click on the link or buy the paper etc.

Their goal is not a conscientious dissemination of factual information for the greater good.

100% correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back