Worried about CTE killing MMA? Media likely overstating dangers - scientists weigh in

If CTE hasn't brought down boxing it sure the hell isn't going to bring down MMA.

just a matter of time.

most parents etc. didnt know shit about CTE.

Combat sports will become super niche.

I think it’s just the crashes at the race

I'd like to think that's not the sole reason the rate is so high... For the sake of the horses.

I like to imagine the injury rate for noob/unqualified/idiot participation is very high. Falling off, losing control, ect.

but in my funniest vision someone is holding jockies up by their ankles and letting go.

I'd like to think that's not the sole reason the rate is so high... For the sake of the horses.

I like to imagine the injury rate for noob/unqualified/idiot participation is very high. Falling off, losing control, ect.

but in my funniest vision someone is holding jockies up by their ankles and letting go.

That might be it, I’ve not looked into it in any detail just heard it as a stat in passing.

combat sports wont dissapear, but they will become niche

CTE and ball sports are the reason.

24 pro cyclists killed in the last 10 years, 0 deaths in the UFC.

Not to mention the cyclists who were maimed from crashes.

Other sports like Skiiing and motor sports also have a number of competitors killed.

Video here;

Cliffs;

In recent years CTE has received a disproportionate amount of criticism in the North American media, particularly in the USA and Canada.

Scientists are now pushing back against the media narrative. Suicides have now been reported amongst people who have mis self diagnosed with CTE despite actually having treatable conditions.

CTE diagnosis is subjective. The Jordan Parsons case scared a lot of people because he had few fights and few tko losses. Other scientists might not have been able to find anything in the brain of Parsons.

The sport with the highest rate of concussions is horse riding, yet there is little talk of CTE in that sport.

Yeah, CTE is just one of the current buzzwords people love to throw out with little knowledge of the actual meaning.

Yeah, CTE is just one of the current buzzwords.

Exactly people are acting like CTE is the only thing that can happen to the brain.

What is convenient about the disease is that none of the symptoms can be definitely Proved, equally it’s hard to disprove the existence of the condition. So it’s being used as a one size fits all excuse to justify any kind of aberrant behaviour amongst contact sport athletes.

Exactly people are acting like CTE is the only thing that can happen to the brain.

What is convenient about the disease is that none of the symptoms can be definitely Proved, equally it’s hard to disprove the existence of the condition. So it’s being used as a one size fits all excuse to justify any kind of aberrant behaviour amongst contact sport athletes.
Well put and 100% correct.

dont worry: your niche sport wont disappear.

It will not kill MMA, but do you need a scientist to tell you one way or another that getting your head beat in for your entire life may actually be bad for your brain?

This is increasingly less true.

There's more good reporting now than there has ever been before. Cable "news" certainly is a problem, since so much of it is either commentary or plagued by both sidesism.

But the bigger problem is that so many people are media illiterate, unable to tell the difference between subjective and objective stories and information, and are therefore easier to mislead.

There's more good reporting now than there has ever been before. Cable "news" certainly is a problem, since so much of it is either commentary or plagued by both sidesism.

But the bigger problem is that so many people are media illiterate, unable to tell the difference between subjective and objective stories and information, and are therefore easier to mislead.

More good reporting?

That feels incredibly unlikely.

Good reporting takes a large investment of time and due diligence. In these days of instant news from a thousand different platforms, it can't compete. Print media is all but dead, and video can't compete with the the feeds everyone is plugged into.

Good reporting still exists if you know where to look, but the vast majority don't, or even care. Even the best news organizations are being whittled down, one ad buy at a time.

Good night, and good luck.

Bro ... NFL is already dying. 30-50 years max and its ded.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcoo...-death-its-not-just-concussions/#5bcfe2157540

Most parents didnt know shit about CTE.

True, though they're learning about concussions. Things have changed dramatically as far as parents go. When I was a kid (many decades ago) it was common for a ten year old to be knocked unconscious in hockey or football, be carried off the field, and then sent back in five minutes later when they could walk again. There's simply no way that would ever happen now (or if it did, there'd be law suits and coaches being replaced).

Same thing for a gym teacher who let a kid who took a hard hit on the head (typically from falling etc) and didn't send the kid off to be looked at before letting them continue the gym class.

Yes but if the scientists are speaking out then we might as well listen to them.

Yes, but like many things in science, there are scientists on both sides of the issue, and its a good idea to listen to all of them.

But as a parent (and grandparent), I have to admit my tendency is to err on the side of caution when its kids (ie anyone under the age of 18, and especially under the age of 16). Adults are different, they're fully capable of judging for themselves what the risks are.

Good reporting takes a large investment of time and due diligence. In these days of instant news from a thousand different platforms, it can't compete. Print media is all but dead, and video can't compete with the the feeds everyone is plugged into.

Some of the major pillars of journalism, such as the Washington Post, produce a ton of excellent content. The New Yorker always publishes deep-diving articles. And now, with podcasts, there's a ton of excellent reporting--if you know where to look. I don't think it's as much an issue of there being no good reporting as much as it is that there's so much content that, with a media illiterate population, it can be difficult to navigate. But I do think reporters who are on the beat are still doing a lot of good work and are operating in good-faith.

I doubt the media overstates the dangers of CTE.
Not the dangers of it. It has definitely become an overstated problem though with everyone acting as if every fighter suffers from it all of the sudden

Back