Will Nick be stopped for the third time in his career

First, suggesting that GSP-Fitch is in anyway relevant to GSP-Diaz, in terms of standup, is ridiculous, IMHO. Diaz is well ahead of Fitch in both footwork and boxing.

Second, Diaz has fought (and beaten) guys like Daley and Noons, who arguably have *at least* comparable boxing and hand speed to GSP (I would suggest they are both better/faster in pure standup).

As for what happened to BJ when he fought GSP, I fail to see how that is relevant to Diaz at all. They are two very different fighters, and BJ has no business fighting at WW anymore. Diaz also beat up Penn, so doesn't that at least suggest that GSP won't tool him the same way? If you at all buy into the greasegate thing that Penn alleged, that will also not happen, given the changes implemented for cornermen.

I'm certainly not saying Diaz will win, but I *highly* doubt that he will be stopped by GSP, who will not risk position on the ground against someone with Nick's level of BJJ, which is almost certainly equal to (if not higher) than that of GSP.

Diaz will also not gas the way Penn does in almost every WW fight that he has lost/drawn.

So...I'd flip this back on you and ask, how does GSP stop Diaz? He has stopped two lightweights in Penn and Serra, and a past-his-prime Hughes, in his last 10 fights, and Diaz hasn't been stopped in OVER TEN YEARS outside of a cut TKO loss to Noons over five years ago.

GSP by decision, in all likelihood...but I would bet heavily against a stoppage win.

edit: add Zaromskis to the list of capable strikers Diaz handled...

Hell no dude, not in terms of skills and not in terms of style. Comparing Noons and Daley to GSP is crazytalk. Daley likes to brawl and Noons like to counter in the pocket. GSP likes to move in and out which is a nightmare stylewise for a guy like Diaz who pretty much NEEDS the other guy to stand and trade with him to have type of success.

He was coming off a 2 year layoff, but yeah he did slow down in the 4th and 5th.

Condit also had a long lay off due to waiting for GSP to recover.

Imo it was because Condit was the first one who actively fought back against GSP.
Normally GSP wins by doing minimal action over the course of 5 rounds.

Jake Shields
Josh Koscheck
Dan Hardy
Thiago Alves
BJ Penn
Jon Fitch

He didn't have to fight at a hard pace or go all out because he neutralized these opponents standing or on the ground with ease over the course of 5 rounds.

With Condit he had a dangerous striker who had a great offensive ground game + killer cardio.
Condit never let GSP rest standing or on the ground thereby pushing him to the limit.

Chael Sonnen said it best, you can't go hard for 25 minutes straight.
That's why I laugh when people post that Cain's cardio is overrated now...

its funny you say that.

Diaz has been stopped twice. Once due to a cut and a doctor stoppage and the other was by getting ko'd by jeremy jackson.

GSP has only been knocked out once in his career and has been sub'd once.

so i dont really know how people think his chin is that suspect. The stats show that if its stopped due to strikes by either cut or ko that the percentages are in favor of GSP not diaz.

I see where your coming from but I think that folks think GSP has a suspect chin due to the way he reacts to getting hit and not from his record.

That may be true for some fights, but you think GSP was "coasting" in the Hardy fight when he tried to tear his arm off with the armbar and kimura?

11bt5j9_jpg.gif

GSPpass14.png

He clearly has tried to finish guys (case in point, the Hardy fight) since the Serra fight, but has failed to do so. I think Nick can survive whatever GSP has to throw at him, no matter how much GSP has "something to prove".

That gif and picture do more to discredit your point IMO. In the picture GSP doesn't have the shoulder fully secured nor his hips correctly underneath Hardy's elbow to finish the armbar, hence he didn't. In the GIF the kimura is razor tight but stupid GSP has his own knee in the way to where he has about 45 less degrees to twerk that shoulder lock.

If he tried that bullshit on Diaz he'd be reversed.

Last edited:
You GSP fans do this every time leading up to his fights. When will you learn? lol

i dont think fitch would have any problem holding diaz down for 3 rounds like he did with bj but if you disagree ok

BJ is a small ww though so I just don't see the point of comparing the two. However you stated Fitch would DESTROY Nick. Destroying somebody isn't laying on them for the whole fight....so yeah Fitch could lay on Nick for the whole fight and win but that is not destruction by any means unless he is throwing Brock like GNP.

I've always been a critic of GSP (I'm Canadian by the way), but I really think this could be GSP's easiest fight in a long time. With that said, I see GSP finishing Diaz unless there's an eyepoke or something stupid like that. Diaz is a warrior, but just completely outmatched here.

How hard is it to finish the Kos GSP faced: decently difficult.
Predictions for GSP against Kos: he is angry, he will finish him.
*doesn't finish, predictors disregard and learn nothing*

How hard is it to finish the Shields that GSP faced: pretty hard.
Predictions for GSP against Shields: he has something to prove, head kick KO
*doesn't finish, predictors disregard and learn nothing*

How hard is it to finish Diaz: extremely hard
Predictions for GSP against Diaz: he is angry, Nick will get finished

I think I see a pattern here. The HARDER opponents are to finish the more people predict they get finished, despite all opposing reality and history staring them in the face. Bizarre...

lol dang there equal ? oh so your right then gsp is more pussy ! and more likey to get ktfo becuase there equal....:rolleyes:

They each have their own strengths.

One of Nicks strengths is his chin. George not so much, but he has other strengths such as his athleticism.

I just hope that GSP does more than just jab and go for takedowns in this fight.

I want to be entertained.

1128475_o.gif

Last edited:
How hard is it to finish the Kos GSP faced: decently difficult.
Predictions for GSP against Kos: he is angry, he will finish him.
*doesn't finish*

How hard is it to finish the Shields that GSP faced: pretty hard.
Predictions for GSP against Shields: he has something to prove, head kick KO
*doesn't finish*

How hard is it to finish Diaz: extremely hard
Predictions for GSP against Diaz: he is angry, Nick will get finished

I think I see a pattern here. The HARDER opponents are to finish the more people predict they get finished, despite all opposing reality and history staring them in the face. Bizarre...

So true my friend.

He just better play it safe with jabs and leg kicks cause if Nick catches him on the chin... well, we know how suspect George's chin is. Chin for Chin we know who would win. ;)

lol Please tell us how suspect GSP's chin is. And please do so without referencing the Serra fight and 1 kick from Condit.

Wouldn't it be something if GSP, who hasn't finished anyone in I dunno, years, stops Probably the toughest fucking guy as far as heart and durability go? I would be impressed by that performance

So true my friend.

LOL! This is why I go on sherdog, because for every 25 absolute horrible posts and posters, you get stuff like this.

I meant to quote Dionysian, but I'm sure you know what I'm saying

Wouldn't it be something if GSP, who hasn't finished anyone in I dunno, years, stops Probably the toughest fucking guy as far as heart and durability go? I would be impressed by that performance

I would never talk shit about GSP again.

lol Please tell us how suspect GSP's chin is. And please do so without referencing the Serra fight and 1 kick from Condit.

All I know is that ever since Serra touched his chin, George has not been the same.

Anyone who can't see how his overall fighting style has changed (for the worse) since then is beyond help. IMO he changed because he realized he can't take shots on the chin.

Gsp never stops people haha there is no way he gets a finish against nick diaz. his top game won't be enough to fight through nick's guard and BJJ skills while doing enough damage to stop the fight, and we all know gsp isn't going to stand and ko him, it's just not happening, I agree with above only stop in this fight is Nick locking in a sub.

betyourlife82 said:

I would never talk shit about GSP again.

Me neither. I would have mad respect for George.

C'mon Georgie! Knock him out! Try! Please! :icon_chee

after this fight.

nick will be throwing a brick into the ocean with GSP's name taped to it , and then set sail into retirement on the very same ocean.

Back