• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why isn't anyone wrestling Pereira?

People don't seem to understand how wrestling works. They see a half ass single attempt and assume that means Pereira has solved wrestling. But if you watch Khabib or Islam fight they rely on chain wrestling. They don't always get the first takedown. But they keep trying, and they eventually get the fight to the ground. We have yet to see anyone attempt that gameplan on Pereira. Blachowicz came the closest and he almost subbed him, losing by a razor sharp split decision. There's a clear path to having a more favorable outcome against Pereira and I'm just wondering why these fighters aren't trying. It's very poor fight IQ. It's like women's bantamweight during the Ronda era where everyone would just immediately clinch her and challenge her in her strongest area.
Do you really think these guys have the ability to implement an educated, safe chain wrestle strategy like an Islam, Khabib or Merab without gassing themselves or getting sloppy

He puts spells on guys that makes them anti wrestle
Voodoo shit

Jones could fight Pereira next week and take his belt away. I feel confident saying that. Do you disagree?
I do. Im positive Alex beats Jones if they fight next week. Alex just fought and is in shape. Jones is probably drunk as we type.

Jones risking going to sleep in his last fight, I dont think so either.

He's literally never done this.

You'll see it when you watch the fight

1PGwu28.png

jan took him down 3 times out of 8 attempts
jan is average at best in wrestling
maybe the division is weak not enough fighters
who is really good standing up and really good at wrestling

imagine a fighter like jones
theres no way he could survive elbows or getting strangled

the answer might be the LHW division sucks right now
Jan also has one hell of a chin. In 40 pro fights, he has two KO losses and one of those was due to leg injury. Only Thiago Santos has been able to finish him with strikes. He probably felt confident enough he could withstand a hard shot so he pressed with his takedowns.

Its the obvious best chance of beating him but no one is trying. Did Jiri shoot even once? These guys for some reason have unexplained confidence in their standup, despite all the evidence telling them not to. Look at 170 for example. Ian Garry is a striker and still had the intelligence to rely on wrestling vs MVP. He specifically gameplanned for it. Where is the fight IQ at light heavyweight? The arguable best wrestler in the division has publicly stated he plans to stand with Pereira. Wtf is wrong with these guys?

It's hard to be interested in the division with such poor fight IQ shown from every fighter. Imagine Jones committing to a striking battle against Pereira. It would never happen. The guy could come back tonight and just take his belt back.
People are gonna come in here and say "they did try, it's not that easy" but the situation is simpler. They can't.

Not because periera is some great takedown defense dude, but because it's a rare skillset in the higher weight classes.

There is an inverse relationship between weight and average grappling ability in divisions that is pretty easily explained. Higher weight means cardio is worse, and punches are harder. Wrestling is the most cardio intensive facet of mma, and all these guys at lhw hit so hard they don't really need it, so they don't train it the same.

That's why high level grapplers who do make it this far generally become Champs: the rest of the division is leagues behind them in those departments. Jones, cormier, Cain, werdum, yoel, henderson, Bader (I know, Bellator, but he dominated for a long time), lesnar, couture, etc.

Ankalaev and Jan are the only wrestlers at LHW these days. Ankalaev SHOULD be next if it's based on merit. Thought Tom and Jon would also test that TDD at HW.

People are gonna come in here and say "they did try, it's not that easy" but the situation is simpler. They can't.

Not because periera is some great takedown defense dude, but because it's a rare skillset in the higher weight classes.

There is an inverse relationship between weight and average grappling ability in divisions that is pretty easily explained. Higher weight means cardio is worse, and punches are harder. Wrestling is the most cardio intensive facet of mma, and all these guys at lhw hit so hard they don't really need it, so they don't train it the same.

That's why high level grapplers who do make it this far generally become Champs: the rest of the division is leagues behind them in those departments. Jones, cormier, Cain, werdum, yoel, henderson, Bader (I know, Bellator, but he dominated for a long time), lesnar, couture, etc.
We just watched Ian Garry commit to a wrestling gameplan against MVP. At light heavyweight we saw Alexander Gustafsson commit to wrestling Jan Blachowicz. Now, maybe Jiri has some cardio issues I'm not aware of but I think it would have benefitted him to try a similar gameplan. You don't have to be an elite wrestler to wrestle. And we've seen him have success taking Pereira down. I just think it's a fight IQ issue.

Jiri didn't try at all this time. Not even after almost getting ended in round one. We are witnessing incredibly dumb fight IQ with no attempt at self preservation.
he tried, and was getting nowhere fast. You've got to be an elite grappler to get poatan down a meaningful amount of time.

He's getting a LOT OF EXPERIENCE in doing these quick turn around fights, Poatan IS GETTING BETTER, and he looks to have nogeria level grip strength that helps evade the take downs.

We just watched Ian Garry commit to a wrestling gameplan against MVP. At light heavyweight we saw Alexander Gustafsson commit to wrestling Jan Blachowicz. Now, maybe Jiri has some cardio issues I'm not aware of but I think it would have benefitted him to try a similar gameplan. You don't have to be an elite wrestler to wrestle. And we've seen him have success taking Pereira down. I just think it's a fight IQ issue.
Huge difference between employing a grappling gameplan for 3 rounds as opposed to 5 rounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsmonkey
Back