Why is The Chris such a big favorite?

He's not more elusive

Hard to win a decision against a champ, especially with Machida's style.

Machida has quite a history of smashing boxer/wrestlers, and that's a weight class up.

He's smart enough to know he can't be as tentative as he was vs Rampage in the first two rounds of that fight. He learned his lesson there.

Styles make fights, and Machida is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much worse a matchup for Weidman than Vitor would have been or even than Silva was. Here's why:

Weidman is a grappling phenom. Anyone who disagrees should look up his grappling match vs Andre Galvao. He have Galvao all he wanted, and Weidman had been training bjj for less than a year. He's a BJ Penn type prodigy in what his learning curve was, and that's not something I'd say lightly. Plus he had the wrestling pedigree to start with, which Penn didn't.

Weidman also has the ability to do serious damage once he takes guys down, even in their guard. Silva found that out in the first fight, which is why he started trying to goad Weidman into standing and not taking him down. Silva found out very quickly that it was much different getting hit by Weidman while on his back than it was vs Chael or Travis Lutter.

So why all the Weidman flattery if I think Machida is such amazing value? Because Machida has something that neither Silva nor Vitor have: a track record of stellar tdd (and again, that was against bigger guys a weight class up). Guys like Silva and Vitor have to consciously think about being put on their back at all times against someone like Weidman. He's a better grappler than they are, and can smash people once he takes them down. That affects the striking game, and is a good example of why one skill blends into another in MMA. Weidman's striking feeds off his grappling, and vice versa. GSP had the same abilites, keeping guys constantly off balance.

But Machida doesn't have to worry as much about that as those other guys. He (rightfully) will have far more confidence in his ability to keep the fight standing. And while I believe Weidman has more power, Machida is the more well rounded and more dynamic striker overall. He has the advantage in a fight that stays standing. Maybe not a big advantage, and Weidman could certainly catch him and finish him, but the odds of this fight are simply off. It happens, and good bettors take advantage.

For the record, with no $ involved I'd absolutely be rooting for Weidman in this fight.
This is honestly the best post in this thread.

Because of Hendo's and Davis's recent performances. He's also 36 and it's hard to judge his strength at MW from his fights against Munoz and Mousasi.

hes the champ who just beat the top p4p fighter twice. It makes sense

Undefeated, beat the GOAT twice, Machida 5-4 in last 9 fights.

Davis yes, Rampage no. He was too tentative in rounds 1 and 2, had the fight been scored as a whole I would have given that one to Machida but they aren't.

If you scored the fight properly it was 2 10-10's and a dominant 10-9 for Machida in the 3rd. Neither guy did shit in rounds 1 and 2.

Undefeated, beat the GOAT twice, Machida 5-4 in last 9 fights.
Funny how you people adjust your numbers anyway that you can to try and make Machida look bad.

When in all actuality, he got robbed against Rampage and Davis, and should be on a five fight win streak right now, only losing to Shogun and Jones.

Haters gonna hate, though.

Can't wait for Machida vs The Chris.

I think Lyoto is going to beat dat ass.

Reading this thread only made me want to bet Machida more. All of the intelligent responses were in favor of Machida.

I got 150 on Machida to win 285 (as opposed to 150 of Weidman to win 64).

put your money where your mouth is homes

Reading this thread only made me want to bet Machida more. All of the intelligent responses were in favor of Machida.

I got 150 on Machida to win 285 (as opposed to 150 of Weidman to win 64).

Lyoto is 36 years old; the Chris is 29.
Weidman found a way to beat the consensus best striker in the history of MMA, twice
Weidman is the superior grappler
Weidman is undefeated

Might as well PayPal me that buck fiddy. Hate to see money wasted like that, at least I would put it to good use. Like reup my Plat for a couple of years.

If you scored the fight properly it was 2 10-10's and a dominant 10-9 for Machida in the 3rd. Neither guy did shit in rounds 1 and 2.

That could have been the way it was scored but you and I both no judges almost never give out 10-10 rounds. IMO the reason Rampage got the first two rounds was it was very even but he was the aggressor and had octagon control.

I am not sure how much of a factor it is but I think Weidman being Americans will mean he gets lower odds.

Thinking being the majority of money will come from the USA and people are more likely to be on their countryman.

Its not the only factor, maybe not even much of one but I am sure it plays some part.

I think this is a pick em fight so a few bucks (36 = 100) on machida is what I am doing.

Because he adds wad to his morning piss

Hard to win a decision against a champ, especially with Machida's style.

But its also very hard to be sure Machida will not get the decision.

I don't think Chris would be willing to coast later in the fight and leave his belt in the hands of the judges who can be unpredictable.

I think Machida can push the pace better in the this fight than Weidman can.

I dislike Machida's fans so I hope he loses....but i'm pretty sure Chris has nothing for Machida.

Back