Why is The Chris such a big favorite?

Because Lyoto's entire middleweight resume is wins over Mousasi and Munoz.

Last edited:
Because he's the only Caucasian American champion

Betting lines aren't always the same as the 'true' odds of the fight anyway. It's about making money.

Weidman is coming off of two dominating wins against the conscensus p4p #1 and is undefeated.

Machida is 5-4 in the last 9 with a rather unimpressive decission against Moose last time around.

Sure, Machida is 5-4 in fights against some of the best at a weight class higher - which is why the odds aren't even worse for him.

Odds are perfectly reasonable.

Thank you and well put....nuff' said!

While the official result may have been a loss, he beat those guys.

Davis yes, Rampage no. He was too tentative in rounds 1 and 2, had the fight been scored as a whole I would have given that one to Machida but they aren't.

Because the Chris's Checking-Kick defense is impenetrable and destructive. I heard his new secret weapon is the chin-destruction where he checks a front kick to the face with his chin, thus breaking his opponents foot in the process. Lyoto better be careful out there...

Because he is the champ? Because he is undefeated? Because Machida does poorly against guys that pressure him, which The Chris is good at?

Also since when is 2:1 a huge favorite?

Right now the odds are roughly at Weidman -220/ Lyoto +180. This seems way off to me. Lyoto is a tougher match up for Weidman than Anderson was IMO. He is much more elusive than Silva and he can stuff take downs. I think this is a very close fight that probably should be 50/50 in terms of odds. Am I missing something?

Then bet on Machida. It's good when the odds are bad.

Right now the odds are roughly at Weidman -220/ Lyoto +180. This seems way off to me. Lyoto is a tougher match up for Weidman than Anderson was IMO. He is much more elusive than Silva and he can stuff take downs. I think this is a very close fight that probably should be 50/50 in terms of odds. Am I missing something?

yup. andy couldn't hit him, which means he had a chance. with The Dragon, it's very difficult to hit machida, and it's almost impossible to take him to the ground. Weedman is going to get his ass kicked.

The Chris is bigger, strong, more athletic (yes, he's faster too--you'll see), has a lot more power, is a better wrestler, has beaten very good strikers like Anderson and Hall, has never had his chin fail him, and he's fighting a guy who has lost half of his fights over the past few years and who lost on at least one scorecard to some non-elite fighters.

Why would Machida be the favorite, because he out-pointed Shogun like six years ago or because he has had ONE impressive finish against a top fighter (KO vs. Evans) in basically his entire career?

Put it this way: In Weidman's last two fights, he has more impressive finishes over elite talent than Machida has in his entire career.

The Chris is rightfully a slight/moderate favorite.

agreed, which is why im betting on machida

They made the odds like that so every one can make bank after Lyoto wins. I only have a few hundreds buck to put on Machida, because I'm spending a shit ton of money on my trip to Vegas for the fight, but it's gonna be money in the bank. I'm glad Lyoto is the underdog.

While the official result may have been a loss, he beat those guys.

Maybe if you are a Lyoto fan, regardless if he won or loss the fights were close and he never stopped back peddling trying to counter, you would think after he lost once because of this he would change it, but he didn't

I don't have much faith in Machida and honestly if his opponents aren't rushing forward stupidly his fights have a tendency to be boring

Because the Weidman is full of MMA

Maybe if you are a Lyoto fan, regardless if he won or loss the fights were close and he never stopped back peddling trying to counter, you would think after he lost once because of this he would change it, but he didn't

I don't have much faith in Machida and honestly if his opponents aren't rushing forward stupidly his fights have a tendency to be boring
Machida/Rashad was boring as shit since Rashad didn't rush in.

Weidman is coming off of two dominating wins against the conscensus p4p #1 and is undefeated.

Machida is 5-4 in the last 9 with a rather unimpressive decission against Moose last time around.

Sure, Machida is 5-4 in fights against some of the best at a weight class higher - which is why the odds aren't even worse for him.

Odds are perfectly reasonable.

The best thing is when people make arbitrary cut off dates to prove their flawed argument(hmmm....which number of fights will give Machida the worst looking record?).

It is such a pathetic way to try to prove a point. Lyoto should be 5-0 in his last 5 fights(most relevant fights are the most recent) and has been a champion at 205, that is more than enough to a challenger held in high regard. I'm a fan of Weidman and think he fights very intelligently, but this is a tougher matchup than you are trying to make it seem by discrediting Machida. Machida has ended multiple other unbeaten streaks where he was the underdog, and he could do it again. 69% chance for Weidman is overestimated in my opinion.

because the Chris is not human while Machida is a mere mortal

Back