Why does Nintendo suck now?

True Fact: The PS1 a.k.a. The Playstation was originally designed as a next gen console for Nintendo.
That is until the partnership went sour and Nintendo backed out of the deal at the last minute leaving Sony with a stockpile inventory of console units.

Nintendo's problem is they gave up. They conceded the market to Sony with the PlayStation and have never recovered. They made up their mind that they couldn't compete financially with Sony and now Microsoft so they decided to go with the idea of just offering something innovating that the other guys aren't doing.

Previously, Nintendo had always striven to be the best. The NES was a powerful system for its time and offered something no one had seen before: A gamepad with a directional pad. To this day, the d-pad is a requirement for video game controllers. It was an innovation that became a necessity.

The Sega Master System came along and was technically superior but couldn't compete with Nintendo's huge 3rd party support and stellar in-house games.

Sega decided to beat Nintendo to the punch this time and came out with the Genesis. It was 16-bit and easily beat Nintendo's NES hardware but Nintendo managed to hold their own for a couple more years until they unveiled the Super Nintendo.

Again, it was very powerful system for the time and beat the Sega Genesis in terms of hardware specs other than a slightly slower CPU. It always debuted yet another controller innovation which is now standard: The 4 button front buttons and shoulder button layout.

With the N64, it was the beginning of the end for Nintendo. While technically superior to the Sony PlayStation, they stubbornly stuck with cartridges and became more strict and charged more for licensing rights. 3rd party developers left in droves to never turn. Still, Nintendo innovated once again and gave us yet another feature which is now standard: Analog joysticks.

From here on, Nintendo virtually gave up. They gave it one last go with the Gamecube which had nice hardware specs and was on par if not slightly better than the PlayStation 2 but it was too late. 3rd party developers were already sold on Sony and people were buying the PS2 not only for games but for DVDs as well.

From there, Nintendo decided it wasn't worth competing. Their philosophy was to never sell a console at a loss like Sony did in order to gain market share. They gave up and just started to focus on pure innovation but cheap, affordable hardware. The Wii was unexpected success due to the controller but it was rumored that the Wii was going to be Nintendo's last system and they were set to leave the hardware business if it didn't sell.

Even with as popular as the Wii was, it was a weak system and none of the 3rd party developers came back. They couldn't put their flagship titles on the system because it wasn't powerful enough. The system was littered with shovelware and it became known as a system for casual gamers.

The Wii U is Nintendo's current version of the Gamecube. It's another attempt to play catch up and win 3rd party developers and hardware gamers back. The hardware is decent but it's only 'on-par' with the last generation of consoles. In only a year, they are once again going to be left in the dust with the new systems from Sony and Microsoft are unveiled.

So after that wall of text, you can blame the Nintendo 64 and Nintendo thinking the industry would follow them no matter what they did. They stopped trying to have the best hardware will providing new innovation and instead went with innovation only. The Wii U is heading down the same path as the Gamecube and has been poorly marketed and isn't selling well. Consumers are confused on what it is and those who do, don't see a need if they already have a 360 or PS3.

It's important for Nintendo to do all it can in 2013 to get every major title 3rd party title it can. They need to show that their system can handle A+ titles and sell well on their system.

Old school Nintendo was the shit.

zelda2_logo.gif
^My favorite game of ALL TIME.

I don't think nintendo really sucks, they are aimed at children/families and I'm not fond of their gimmicks but as long as they keep making zelda, mario, kirby, pkimin, etc I'll always get a nintendo console just to play those games.

Games in general aren't what they used to be, not just nintendo.

They haven't changed/adapted their formula much.

Mario, Zelda, Mario, Mario, Wario, Metroid, Mario & Luigi, Zelda, Kirby, Starfox, Mario.. And maybe throw a Donkey Kong in there somewhere.

So on one hand, if you really, really enjoy those games you should be happy. On the other, if you want something new you're proooobably going to buy a different gaming system.

Give your top 10 reasons why Nintendo went from being the hands down best gaming company ever (from NEW to N64 they were the best ever) and now they've fallen into almost complete irrelevance?

Wiiu, lol. Nobody is going to buy that piece of shit just like everyone who bought the wii sold it or lost interest in it.

What happened!!!???

They went from being innovative and fun to being innovative-but-boring/awful.

I used to love getting Nintendo stuff for Christmas when I was a kid. Now Nintendo just blows.

It doesn't suck at all -It is as strong and imaginative as ever.

You are who has changed -you are growing into an adult who is losing there childlike wonder and imagination. Now you need realistic graphics and simulation to provide for you the information and escape that your amazing little child brain used to gladly provide which made you very happy.

Getting old sucks and now you suck too ...not Nintendo -they still make amazing stuff for 12 year olds.

Wii is a good way to invite chicks over to your place.PS and Xbox isn't.

Um, there was nothing wrong with the gameplay of Windwaker. Don't hate it just because the graphics weren't the usual Zelda graphics.

The world, characters, using the boat, all the hidden areas, the boss battles; all were well-done and enjoyable.

Sorry, but graphics were so fucking horrible that nothing else could have made up for that. They were downright painful. I liked the sailing part to an extent, but after a while it got annoying. Waving the wand around was retarded. Most of the characters were annoying. Just an all around bad Zelda game. I'm not asking that Zelda becomes a bloody and graphic adult game, but I swear it was made for kids who watch Barney.

When Twilight Princess came out, I thought Nintendo was finally back on track with Zelda. I fukcing love that game. I still play it. But then Skyward Sword came out and they fucked it up again.

Nintendo may suck to the hardcore gamers, but it don't matter, with them selling a shit ton of 3DS, and I'm guessing WiiU, will just keeping selling and selling. Also new playstation and x-box, isn't coming out for what another 5 years?

Nintendo's problem is they gave up. They conceded the market to Sony with the PlayStation and have never recovered. They made up their mind that they couldn't compete financially with Sony and now Microsoft so they decided to go with the idea of just offering something innovating that the other guys aren't doing.

Previously, Nintendo had always striven to be the best. The NES was a powerful system for its time and offered something no one had seen before: A gamepad with a directional pad. To this day, the d-pad is a requirement for video game controllers. It was an innovation that became a necessity.

The Sega Master System came along and was technically superior but couldn't compete with Nintendo's huge 3rd party support and stellar in-house games.

Sega decided to beat Nintendo to the punch this time and came out with the Genesis. It was 16-bit and easily beat Nintendo's NES hardware but Nintendo managed to hold their own for a couple more years until they unveiled the Super Nintendo.

Again, it was very powerful system for the time and beat the Sega Genesis in terms of hardware specs other than a slightly slower CPU. It always debuted yet another controller innovation which is now standard: The 4 button front buttons and shoulder button layout.

With the N64, it was the beginning of the end for Nintendo. While technically superior to the Sony PlayStation, they stubbornly stuck with cartridges and became more strict and charged more for licensing rights. 3rd party developers left in droves to never turn. Still, Nintendo innovated once again and gave us yet another feature which is now standard: Analog joysticks.

From here on, Nintendo virtually gave up. They gave it one last go with the Gamecube which had nice hardware specs and was on par if not slightly better than the PlayStation 2 but it was too late. 3rd party developers were already sold on Sony and people were buying the PS2 not only for games but for DVDs as well.

From there, Nintendo decided it wasn't worth competing. Their philosophy was to never sell a console at a loss like Sony did in order to gain market share. They gave up and just started to focus on pure innovation but cheap, affordable hardware. The Wii was unexpected success due to the controller but it was rumored that the Wii was going to be Nintendo's last system and they were set to leave the hardware business if it didn't sell.

Even with as popular as the Wii was, it was a weak system and none of the 3rd party developers came back. They couldn't put their flagship titles on the system because it wasn't powerful enough. The system was littered with shovelware and it became known as a system for casual gamers.

The Wii U is Nintendo's current version of the Gamecube. It's another attempt to play catch up and win 3rd party developers and hardware gamers back. The hardware is decent but it's only 'on-par' with the last generation of consoles. In only a year, they are once again going to be left in the dust with the new systems from Sony and Microsoft are unveiled.

So after that wall of text, you can blame the Nintendo 64 and Nintendo thinking the industry would follow them no matter what they did. They stopped trying to have the best hardware will providing new innovation and instead went with innovation only. The Wii U is heading down the same path as the Gamecube and has been poorly marketed and isn't selling well. Consumers are confused on what it is and those who do, don't see a need if they already have a 360 or PS3.

It's important for Nintendo to do all it can in 2013 to get every major title 3rd party title it can. They need to show that their system can handle A+ titles and sell well on their system.

I did not read any of that wall. Nintendo has been making huge money from video games for the last 30 years. Microsoft and Sony have been losing money. No matter what anyone thinks, Nintendo makes money. End of story.

I did not read any of that wall. Nintendo has been making huge money from video games for the last 30 years. Microsoft and Sony have been losing money. No matter what anyone thinks, Nintendo makes money. End of story.

This. More than anything its Nintendo that adapted with time while Sony and PS3 is still following the old video game strategy. I sold my Wii cus the controller sucked but it had several great Mario games. Never played Skyward.

I dont know why 1 poster said Nintendo was stupid to think 70 years old would play the Wii. Thats pretty much what Nintendo accomplished. You have soccer moms playing with their kids.

As for Wind Waker, that game was ok. I didnt mind the graphics but too much water and not enough land made for a boring game. I stopped after playing it for a month and not really knowing where to go.

N64 is still the best with Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Wave Race, Wrestlemania 2000, Star Fox, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing.

The games were easy to play yet theres so much depth behind it. The graphics is blurry cus of the cartridge but gameplay is unrivaled, especially compared to todays game like Assasins Creed and Gears. My gf isnt a gamer and the past two days she asked if we can play Mario Kart 64 cus she saw me playing it with my bro. The appeal for the game knows no boundaries, which cant be said for todays games.

It doesn't suck at all -It is as strong and imaginative as ever.

You are who has changed -you are growing into an adult who is losing there childlike wonder and imagination. Now you need realistic graphics and simulation to provide for you the information and escape that your amazing little child brain used to gladly provide which made you very happy.

Getting old sucks and now you suck too ...not Nintendo -they still make amazing stuff for 12 year olds.

That isn't it AT ALL. I still play starfox 64 from time to time, the gamecube Zelda and Ocarina of time, I still play Mario 64. I love those games and every now and then I'll throw them in and beat them. I still love all the old kiddy games. My friends and I play Mario Kart double dash and smash brothers too.

The problem is, Nintendo fucking sucks now. It's not me, its them. The gameplay in the new games, with the wii stick...it blows. It's choppy, its not fun, and it makes the games borderline unplayable.

It has nothing to do with me getting older and everything to do with Nintendo making shitty systems with a shitty interface.

Im no hardcore gamer like some in this thread. I retired from that back in like 2000 or so. I just got a Wii for free from my friend who never played. I have New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii and I downloaded some classic games on VC. THe marios are a blast and I want to pick up Xenosaga (or whatever its called) and Skyward sword.
I dont pretend that the graphics are as good as PS3 or Xbox 360 but it it a fun system and I enjoy it a lot.

I wouldn't say they suck, they just no longer make the types of games I wanna play. They try to appeal to a broader audience.

Um, there was nothing wrong with the gameplay of Windwaker. Don't hate it just because the graphics weren't the usual Zelda graphics.

The world, characters, using the boat, all the hidden areas, the boss battles; all were well-done and enjoyable.

I liked the graphics on WindWaker but that game sucked. It was made for little kids. Huge step backwards for the series.

Tell me that game wasn't the easiest Zelda game with the easiest dungeons and the most laughably easy bosses.

Every single aspect of that game was made for kids. It wasn't made for OoT fans, that's for sure.

They're going down because

1. They haven't adapted with the times. Consoles no longer only focus on just gaming, people prefer a multimedia function to go along with it for the convenience and bang for the buck reasons..(blu ray, blu tooth, dvd, webbrowsing etc.)

2. Smartphones such as the Galaxy, Iphone LG etc are already capable of handheld gaming, so thats entering Nintendo's territory of the gameboy.

3. As mentioned, the trend is heading towards tablet, and smartphones. It's not only nintendo affected by this, but the beloved PC gaming industry as well :icon_cry2 (as I'm a pc gamer)

4. Xbox, Ps3...and next generation of those consoles (and Samsung rumored to move into this sector as well, they already have in their T.V.s)...Enough said. That would be the death of Nintendo as a serious contender..

PC gaming won't really be affected all that much by tablets and smartphones though because they're totally different crowds. The crowd that likes tablets and smart phones is comprised of house wives and children -- casual gamers. The people that don't play games that require skill or strategy. The PC gaming crowd is the polar opposite of that. People that demand competitive game play and strategy. Just compare Angry Birds to League of Legends. League of legends is the most popular online game in the world right now and it's PC only.

On another note, I believe that the golden age of gaming is just gone at this point. In the 90's and early 2000's we were treated to some amazingly creative companies just breaking out and they had designers and staff that were genuinely interested in creating amazing games. Bioware and Blizzard were amazing companies during that time and they made some of the greatest games of all time. Since then they have both been bought by massive corporations and they only create games to make money. Blizzard straight up fired their entire Blizzard North group that developed the Diablo franchise, now look at Diablo 3, a steaming pile of shit. That's just the way life works sadly.

That isn't it AT ALL.

The problem is, Nintendo fucking sucks now. It's not me, its them. The gameplay in the new games, with the wii stick...it blows. It's choppy, its not fun, and it makes the games borderline unplayable.

It has nothing to do with me getting older and everything to do with Nintendo making shitty systems with a shitty interface.

Your reponse reads like an alcoholic at his first court ordered AA meeting.:icon_chee

Back