Why does Anderson Silva get released from his Ufc contract so he can box but not GSP?

gsp screw over the ufc multiple times Dana has never called him the GOAT i think he probabbly just wanted to screw him back

Anderson is completely meaningless to the ufc and worth nothing compared to GSP.

so ufc doesn’t care what happens to him. Oh and he has lost like 10 in a row or something pathetic like that.

What is the UFCs justification in letting one former champ have their freedom but not the other?

Dana said he can tell GSP is not serious about returning to the ufc at 40 years old, so why not free him from his contract so he can box too?
They're butthurt that he retired pretty young and then later wouldn't fight Whittaker.

I am honestly ok with the double standard in this situation. Anderson did save multiple cards and fought at a higher weight class on doing so vs Cormier. GSP bailed on the middleweight belt after he already said he would defend. Dana gift wrapped a title shot for him to boot vs a fighter GSP knew he would defeat. I get UFC contracts heavily weigh in the favor of the organization, but GSP signed the deal, so he knew the stakes. He should have fought out his remaining fights and he could have boxed whoever he wanted.

What is the UFCs justification in letting one former champ have their freedom but not the other?

Dana said he can tell GSP is not serious about returning to the ufc at 40 years old, so why not free him from his contract so he can box too?

GSP is now 40.
Silva is 46.
Silva kept fighting (and losing).
GSP on the other hand "retired" (twice) while he had a belt around his waste.
Silva did not care for losing. he liked challenges.
GSP is more... business oriented, and wants fights that brings him something.

two different fighters with two different outlook for their careers.

I think Anderson basically got released because he's a liability at this point, much like BJ Penn, and the UFC can't use him anymore.

But yeah, I think it's bullshit that the UFC can cockblock GSP from competing in a totally different sport.

Because Anderson had one fight left on his contract and wanted to fight it out for the payday, Dana didn't want to pay Silva one last big paycheck so decided to cut him....I'm sure if their was a boxing match like the one he did last night on the table pending a UFC release, Dana would have held him under contract to prevent that boxing match from happening.

Anderson is past his prime, not a champ and no longer under a contract. Not sure if he was released but his contract was up or almost there. GSP was the champ.

simple answer is more obvious - the ufc Dana white openly admitted they would not offer Silva anymore fights and were dubious about giving him the last fight against Hall.

they released him from his contract because they were not going to offer him any more fights - essentially Silva was cut but in a very polite way

GSP is on a winning streak and the linear double champion at WW and MW unbeaten and under contract - UFC isn’t letting him fight elsewhere if he’s gonna fight it will be for them under their contract

Because he was of no use to Dana and no long had that mystique about him. Dana got the final say with Silva. Not the case with GSP and it drives Dana nuts so he holds it against GSP. Lol

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER

Anderson Silva fought out all the fights on his contract so the contract is over while GSP still owes the UFC fights. If GSP fought out those last fights then he would also be free to do whatever he wants

Didn’t the UFC let Andy go, a few months ago? Maybe I’m imagining this.

GSP still under contract because he was winning, Silva cut because of 7-1

Do we have 100% proof that GSP actually wanted all these fights e.g. Khabib Oscar etc but it was indeed the big bad UFC stopping him.

Knowing the ego of GSP and how protective he is of his record i can't help but be skeptical.

Because they released Silva due to him being something like 0-8 in his last 8.

Andy fought out of his contract. GSP isn't so in order for him to get released he has to fight.

Back