Why do professional MMA fighters post on Reddit and not here?

I find it impossible to have discussions with the Reddit way of doing things. I much prefer forums.

I also don't think you get a feel for individual posters personalities on Reddit.
Agree.
The classic forum format has many upsides.

I check in on Reddit frequently but mostly for quick browsing and reading those top rated comments.
I don't think I remember any usernames on reddit (except the one who always posts "do not let this extensive clarification distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.") and usually don't write lengthy posts there.
When it comes to discussions I prefer a classic forum format.

But if I was a "celebrity" and wanted to post a quick comment or an AMA I'd do it on Reddit rather than a classic forum.

Last edited:
In general most MMA fighters are tiny, I think they feel a bit intimidated by the size of sherdoggers, with the average sherdogger ranging from anything between 6'5'' and 8'4'' (I'm personally 8'2'' and 575 Ibs with 0% body fat), just a good ole fashioned super jacked sherdogger, the norm...

I am dogger of sher and I don't fall into this cry-tear-i- uh.

I'm not the most humble guy so I'll selfishly take any comparison to GOATachev in any aspect of life! That's about the best compliment anyone can give, thank you!
It is a great compliment.
You are one of the best (maybe the best, lw)

Most professional fighters dont live up to the standards of a sherdogger. They are worried about being roasted I imagine.

After reading Ben Askren’s AMA thread on r/MMA, it got me wondering why many professional fighters love to post on Reddit and are not shy to reveal their identity.

Sherdog is one of the oldest and largest active forum and it has massive resources so every fighters know what Sherdog is but why won’t they post in here?
You've been here since 2014 and don't know that answer.

I've only been here for a year and I already know the answer.

After reading Ben Askren’s AMA thread on r/MMA, it got me wondering why many professional fighters love to post on Reddit and are not shy to reveal their identity.

Sherdog is one of the oldest and largest active forum and it has massive resources so every fighters know what Sherdog is but why won’t they post in here?

Do fighters actively post on Reddit, or is it just the occasional AMA? I'm sure you could get Askren or anyone else to come in for a one-off AMA here too.

I completely disagree with people repeating those "Because we are horrible to fighters, trolls everywhere".

It's like this on every MMA forum if you haven't taken a peak outside of Sherdog ;) Trolling, vulgarity and overall madness. Is normal.
I guess most fighters don't have the time and nerves to read all that shit and reply back.

This forum treats fighters like shit. The legends of the sport (Fedor, Silva, BJ, etc) have countless threads about why they are overrated, and why their opponents sucked. People point to one loss and act like that discredits their whole careers. Hell GSP gets critiqued for his wins lol.

And those are just the top guys. Imagine if you are just a middling fighter, who has a tough time breaking into the top 10. Is this forum going to applaud your effort, and respect the work you put in to break into the UFC? Hell no. This forum is just a shit show about how bad you are, and if you beat anyone they must suck.

Oh by the way, don’t ever try to stick up for somebody. You are then a labeled a “fanboy”, and out come the LOLs from whoever you are talking with. “Oh you think Anderson Silva is a all time great?” LOL FANBOY.

And heaven forbid you didn’t fight one guy in your career. “Bisbing is a joke, ducked Romero”. As if Bisbing wasn’t ready and willing to fight every guy in his division for the last decade
You hit the nail on the head.
This is true of social media period. Every website's comments section, Instagram, Facebook, anywhere people can post.
For example, I'm a basketball fan. According to social media, every retired basketball player not named Kobe or Jordan sucked and had easy competition.
Social media is still divided on whether or not LeBron is a good player. Three years after he retires, the consensus will be he was overrated.

This forum treats fighters like shit. The legends of the sport (Fedor, Silva, BJ, etc) have countless threads about why they are overrated, and why their opponents sucked. People point to one loss and act like that discredits their whole careers. Hell GSP gets critiqued for his wins lol.

And those are just the top guys. Imagine if you are just a middling fighter, who has a tough time breaking into the top 10. Is this forum going to applaud your effort, and respect the work you put in to break into the UFC? Hell no. This forum is just a shit show about how bad you are, and if you beat anyone they must suck.

Oh by the way, don’t ever try to stick up for somebody. You are then a labeled a “fanboy”, and out come the LOLs from whoever you are talking with. “Oh you think Anderson Silva is a all time great?” LOL FANBOY.

And heaven forbid you didn’t fight one guy in your career. “Bisbing is a joke, ducked Romero”. As if Bisbing wasn’t ready and willing to fight every guy in his division for the last decade
Agreed! I find it funny when people talk sh*t and they have 2020 start dates here and talk down about fighters from the past.

Lol i really doubt they come here to read what people say... keep in mind they constantly receive messages from everywhere : Twitter, Instagram, they constantly get asked for interviews, etc.

Honestly, i think they don't have the time to spend their time on Internet.

When they go on a forum, it's to promote something and Reddit has a much bigger audience.

Sherdog is the most toxic pro sports forum I have seen.

giphy.gif

My first account had the “pro fighter tag”

I quickly didnt follow through with that one and made the triangle one. I aint stupid, Sherdog wouldve ate me up like pirhana’s in a bloody river.

Because this place is a fucking dump compared to what it was

Reddit AMAs are famous and no one has ever heard of this place.

If you think the point of an AMA is to satisfy you, or because it’s fun to the person answering, you’re wrong. It’s pure marketing. There are probably a few exceptions to that rule.

Back