Why do professional MMA fighters post on Reddit and not here?

Royler Gracie honorable mention

After reading Ben Askren’s AMA thread on r/MMA, it got me wondering why many professional fighters love to post on Reddit and are not shy to reveal their identity.

Sherdog is one of the oldest and largest active forum and it has massive resources so every fighters know what Sherdog is but why won’t they post in here?

There used to be but...

Sherbros are assholes. They usually bully and harass fighters until they decide to stop posting

Because we’re horrible people that would tell a professional fighter that they suck despite them being a fucking professional cage fighter.

Also the UI on here is dddd-dinosaur old and we make up a very tiny niche of the MMA world. r/MMA has 1,500,000+ members and I’d be surprised if we surpassed 5000 active members.

Everyone on here is an asshole. I think the last person I saw post here was Yves Levigne of all people.

I wouldn't mind at least a bit stricter rules regarding fighter bashing though.
That would never happen because half the posters, would get carded....no I’m not bitter.

After reading Ben Askren’s AMA thread on r/MMA, it got me wondering why many professional fighters love to post on Reddit and are not shy to reveal their identity.

Sherdog is one of the oldest and largest active forum and it has massive resources so every fighters know what Sherdog is but why won’t they post in here?
Because we know too much and they are intimidated by our vast knowledge base.

Last edited:

They used to -- once upon a time, Quinton Jackson used to post on here and put his personal phone number on the forum and people were calling him left and right haha

That would never happen because half the posters, would get carded....no I’m not bitter.
Lol, getting carded can happen!

I'd be happy though if mods would at least move thinly veiled fighter bashing threads away faster than now.
<WhatItIs>

Lol, getting carded can happen!

I'd be happy though if mods would at least move thinly veiled fighter bashing threads away faster than now.
<WhatItIs>
I lied I am a bitter prick I’m sorry I could never lie to you.

This isn't thought of as a forum for serious mma discussion. Its reputation is that of a troll farm inhabited by incel neckbeards.55y57f.jpg

Besides Reddit being one of the biggest sites, I do think the fact that everything is sorted by votes automatically makes the forum quality seem a lot higher than Sherdog where you have to wade through a lot of crap to find the nuggets.

On reddit you can post a thread and the first comments you see (as sorted by votes) will actually be funny, interesting, relevant or make sense.
Can't do that on sherdog.

Besides Reddit being one of the biggest sites, I do think the fact that everything is sorted by votes automatically makes the forum quality seem a lot higher than Sherdog where you have to wade through a lot of crap to find the nuggets.

On reddit you can post a thread and the first comments you see (as sorted by votes) will actually be funny, interesting, relevant or make sense.
Can't do that on sherdog.

I find it impossible to have discussions with the Reddit way of doing things. I much prefer forums.

I also don't think you get a feel for individual posters personalities on Reddit.

Take a look at this place through the eyes of an outsider. Shertards:

-They're keyboard warriors who talk shit about fighters online while they wouldn't utter a word to them IRL.
-They a have bizarre sense of humor, most of the memes would be unfunny to anyone outside of sherdog.
-Most of them simply don't know what they're talking about.
-They kiss up to boxers, MT and other combat sports while throwing MMA under the bus.
-They have a very low IQ level overall. 99% of threads turn into flamewars for no apparent reasons.
-When they do appriciate fighters, they turn it into a creepy cult where they live vicariously through them.
-So they can't criticize a fighter without name calling him behind the safety of the internet, and they can't be a normal fan of a fighter without being obsessed stalkers.

Should I go on?

Back