Why do UFC and MMA fighters not fight against larger opponents anymore?

I didn't specify but i meant an MMA match.

Unless the hypothetical NFL fighter has a significant striking background they will never hit him at all and it would take a HIGH level wrestling background to take him down.

Without combat sports training DJ would calf kick an untrained big guy until he can't walk. Otherwise he'd probably just leglock most of them.

Good point. And while they are at it, they should bring back head butts, ground strikes, head stomps, knees to the opponent while down. No time limits. 16-man tournament in one night.

I didn't specify but i meant an MMA match.

Unless the hypothetical NFL fighter has a significant striking background they will never hit him at all and it would take a HIGH level wrestling background to take him down.

Without combat sports training DJ would calf kick an untrained big guy until he can't walk. Otherwise he'd probably just leglock most of them.

Royce Gracie, the original UFC champion (Champion of UFC 1, 2, 4), fought and defeated much larger opponents than himself. Similarly, Fedor, Igor Vovchanchyn, Melvin Manhoef, Sakuraba, Minowaman, fought opponents much larger than themselves. It is quite interesting to see if skill can beat size, or to see 'David vs Goliath" type match-ups.

However, in the modern MMA era, everybody is cutting weight so that they can fight smaller opponents.

Why don't we get to see fighters challenging themselves against larger opponents anymore in the UFC or modern MMA?
16494677121535.jpg

Back