Why Didn't Aldo, GSP, Anderson or Jones Ever Go for a Second Title?

We know days before the Maia fight that Anderson told Dana he wanted to fight GSP at 170, and then rumours started coming out that GSP was going to challenge him after his fight. Based on the rumours, the fact the Anderson wanted to fight GSP at 170 for the belt, and the fact that GSP was cageside says that it was definitely possible.

Dana is on record after the fight saying that Anderson said he wanted to fight GSP at 170 for the belt, but he's no longer interested because Anderson doesn't deserve it.

I would love for someone to finally ask him in an interview if that was actually the plan, its been so long he would probably tell us now.

Dana was lying through his teeth. He teased that fight for years. There were many occasions where it was the fight to make. Not just after Maia.

What happened was Anderson told Dana he wanted to fight GSP at 170 a few days before the Maia fight. It was widely rumoured before the fight that GSP was going to walk in the Octagon and challenge Anderson Silva after the fight if he won, and they had him sit cage side during the fight. GSP never did enter the octagon after, and many speculated it was because of Andersons performance and the fact that Dana walked out and was disgusted.

After that Dana did an interview explaining that Anderson wanted to fight GSP at 170 but Anderson no longer deserves the fight, and he's not interested in making it anymore.
Do yo have tape of this interview? Did you watch it yourself, or is this rumor mongering? I was around then and never saw Dana say that.

It doesn't mean anything anyway. GSP would have had to agree to fight Anderson. I find it very hard to believe GSP ever wanted to fight Anderson.

Dana quickly cooled down. Remember, the Forrest fight was made due to the Maia fight. So why didn't GSP-Anderson happen after? Simple, GSP never wanted the fight.

Who knows why GSP was in Abu Dhabi. Flash Entertainment had just bought 10% of the UFC, so it was a big show. That's why Dana was so upset - Anderson embarrassed them in front of their new co-owners.

GSP also attends many events with no reason, and many others to support training partners and coaches.

BJ-Penn-Holding-His-UFC-Champion-Belts.jpg

Do yo have tape of this interview? Did you watch it yourself, or is this rumor mongering? I was around then and never saw Dana say that.

It doesn't mean anything anyway. GSP would have had to agree to fight Anderson. I find it very hard to believe GSP ever wanted to fight Anderson.

Dana quickly cooled down. Remember, the Forrest fight was made due to the Maia fight. So why didn't GSP-Anderson happen after? Simple, GSP never wanted the fight.

Who knows why GSP was in Abu Dhabi. Flash Entertainment had just bought 10% of the UFC, so it was a big show. That's why Dana was so upset - Anderson embarrassed them in front of their new co-owners.

GSP also attends many events with no reason, and many others to support training partners and coaches.

Of course GSP would fight Anderson at 170, he was the champion and would fight anyone at that weight class, no question about it. GSP did attened events, but thats the only time I heard rumours of him challenging Silva.

My memory is hazy obviously it was a long time ago, but I think there were a few videos where he talked about it. Here is one.

3:22

"Well he said the other day that he wanted to cut to 170 and fight GSP. I dont want to see that fight now, he doesn't deserve GSP"

We know days before the Maia fight that Anderson told Dana he wanted to fight GSP at 170, and then rumours started coming out that GSP was going to challenge him after his fight. Based on the rumours, the fact the Anderson wanted to fight GSP at 170 for the belt, and the fact that GSP was cageside says that it was definitely possible.

Dana is on record after the fight saying that Anderson said he wanted to fight GSP at 170 for the belt, but he's no longer interested because Anderson doesn't deserve it.

I would love for someone to finally ask him in an interview if that was actually the plan, its been so long he would probably tell us now.
Safe to say any such rumors were rubbish because the fight could've happened after Dana cooled down.

The reason Anderson-GSP didn't happen wasn't because of Dana. It was because GSP never wanted the damn fight.

Edit: Didn't see you said at 170. In that case Anderson probably changed his mind. He used to make 167, but he was older and bigger now. Don't think he could've made it.

Anderson day dreams a bit. Recall he talked about fighting Frank Mir at HW. Mir said he was interested but Anderson never brought it up again.

I don't think Anderson wanted to fight at 170, and don't think GSP wanted to fight above 170.

For the Adu Dhabi event, all we have is rumors that people spread. Nothing more.

Safe to say any such rumors were rubbish because the fight could've happened after Dana cooled down.

The reason Anderson-GSP didn't happen wasn't because of Dana. It was because GSP never wanted the damn fight.

Edit: Didn't see you said at 170. In that case Anderson probably changed his mind. He used to make 167, but he was older and bigger now. Don't think he could've made it.

Anderson day dreams a bit. Recall he talked about fighting Frank Mir at HW. Mir said he was interested but Anderson never brought it up again.

I don't think Anderson wanted to fight at 170, and don't think GSP wanted to fight above 170.

For the Adu Dhabi event, all we have is rumors that people spread. Nothing more.

It wasn't that Anderson changed his mind. Dana nixed the fight, that's it. Otherwise it was going to happen. Anderson wanted it and Dana wanted it (before the fight) and GSP would have gladly accepted.

It wasn't that Anderson changed his mind. Dana nixed the fight, that's it. Otherwise it was going to happen. Anderson wanted it and Dana wanted it (before the fight) and GSP would have gladly accepted.
Oh come on if Anderson wanted that big money fight really bad, he would have gotten it. Common sense. He didn't want it.

Because they are real champs who actually defended their belts like great champions do

You know dam well if Conor stayed at 145 and smoked Frankie and was fighting Max next you would be the very person saying Conor is afraid to go up and fight the 155's

fucking hater

Oh come on if Anderson wanted that big money fight really bad, he would have gotten it. Common sense. He didn't want it.

Anderson wanted the fight, but Dana was pissed off with his Abu Dhabi performance and nixed it. It's in the video I showed where he says he's no longer interested in that fight in a post fight interview after the event. He put an end to it, not Anderson or GSP.

Dana has also said on many occasions back then that he didn't want GSP at 185, so that may be the reason GSP never moved up.

You know dam well if Conor stayed at 145 and smoked Frankie and was fighting Max next you would be the very person saying Conor is afraid to go up and fight the 155's

fucking hater

"IF"

<36>

love that word

Anderson wanted the fight, but Dana was pissed off with his Abu Dhabi performance and nixed it. It's in the video I showed where he says he's no longer interested in that fight. He put an end to it, not Anderson or GSP.

Dana has also said on many occasions back then that he didn't want GSP at 185, so that may be the reason GSP never moved up.
If Anderson ever put heat on Dana to get the fight, he would have gotten it.

If GSP ever put heat on Dana to get the fight @ 185, he'd have gotten it.

Conor got the fight because he talked about it nonstop for years.

Anderson and GSP never tried to put the heat on Dana to get those fights. They didn't want them.

Because they were just content on being the greatest at their weight class rather than taking the risk to strive to be the GOAT.

1) They weren't offered the right money.
2) They were told they had to vacate their title in order to go for a second one.
3) They worried about actually defending the title that they held.

Back