Movies Who's the 3 most influential male actors of all-time?

Who's your picks?

• Total voters
Buster Keaton probably deserves a spot on that list.

GIF_of_Buster_Keaton_in_%22The_General%2C%22_1926.gif

DeNiro
Pacino
Denzel more recently.

My personal pick is Tom Hanks.

He may have not revolutionize acting as his predecessors. But he was very influential to a lot of actors at that time and even after. Dennis Hopper was one of them.

I wouldn't argue his influence at all, just the idea that he revolutionized acting in this country.

Even Brando didn't technically revolutionize anything, he was just the first of his ilk to make the biggest impact, but John Garfield had been around for quite some time before Brando.

The credit would have to go to the Moscow Theater Company created by Stanislavski. They traveled to New York in 1922, and *Maria Ouspsenskaya (of The Wolfman fame) stayed behind to teach the Stanislavski approach. Many of her students were the founders and members of the Group Theater (Lee Strasberg, Stella Alder etc) whose members went on to do their own thing.

Strasberg based on his idea of Stanislavski's teachings created what he called "The Method", Stella Adler a few years later, having gone to Paris to study under Stanislavski himself learned that his teachings had evolved. She took Stanislavski's updated ideas back to New York and began teaching her own classes.

Brando studied under Adler and was somewhat annoyed at being called a method actor because he never learned from Strasberg even though Strasberg tried to take credit. Brando felt Lee became overly concerned about being seen as a great teacher, instead of just being a great teacher (particularly when it came to Marilyn Monroe). But overall he had great respect for Strasberg and his ability particularly because he spawned so many great actors, Dean among them.

FhjehKAs2i2BlkpgbYpu_1kDTCqHOj7zOCOsEu09g8PWBBFbMhuuk_jYfrajNLhujjS-JRM7nNEmKgwSnAnCwbZae3UMd06aHFBoYQDAHRwy1KswC2wcrGewZ1zcT_JQ2RiEqvk6Sgh6lBmyiC3TuMjM4HBQpih774FhrYCeHuhhRm7kNcUTzvMx-EMChKX2wS3ah2bhITYkqdcwrTEe8Bq9vALaV3qc3fZk

Last edited:
Brando,Eastwood and other.

McQueen

Interesting video, 1:08 almost verbatim of my post on page two.

When I first got interested in film and all it's aspects, without knowing a thing about any of it, Brando was the first guy I watched and felt like I was actually watching something real happening right in front of me...And if I can get even more pretentious, watching him listen to others talking instead of waiting for his next line was something else.

Last edited:
If scope ITT is expressly 'influential', one has to include Eastwood in whatever, to say, troika of film talent you're putting forth. He's a textbook case for a modern male paragon or then the masculine mould.

<mma4>

Nobody comes close to Chaplin

In 1998, the film critic Andrew Sarris called Chaplin "arguably the single most important artist produced by the cinema, certainly its most extraordinary performer and probably still its most universal icon". He is described by the British Film Institute as "a towering figure in world culture", and was included in Time magazine's list of the "100 Most Important People of the 20th Century" for the "laughter [he brought] to millions" and because he "more or less invented global recognizability and helped turn an industry into an art.

And then I went with Nicholson because I feel like Hollywood misses his influence in a painful way, it’s one that’s perhaps more apparent in its absence. He represented that sort of charisma of old Hollywood but could hold modern movies together with it

I would say he was a link back in terms of being a credable actor who didnt really work via shifting mannerisms much, something alot more common in the mid 20th century. It was basically Jack in every film just playing a different character.

Probably the closest in the recent era is I would say either Cage or Downey Jnr although the former does obviously shift mannerisms a bit he also has a pretty standard persona.

I would say he was a link back in terms of being a credable actor who didnt really work via shifting mannerisms much, something alot more common in the mid 20th century. It was basically Jack in every film just playing a different character.

Probably the closest in the recent era is I would say either Cage or Downey Jnr although the former does obviously shift mannerisms a bit he also has a pretty standard persona.

I agree!

4a98f6f64cd248cfcb5ab33f17182b8b.gif

Back