• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Won Izzy v Rob II?

Who won

• Izzy

• Rob

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.
Honestly to me this is looking more and more like rob won after the fact.
In round 4 he landed more strikes, a takedown along with 40 seconds of control. Without a doubt that should be his round
In round 2 he got outstruck by 4 sig strikes, but had a takedown and 52 seconds of control.
Round 3 outstruck by 5, but had a takedown, took his back, and 30 seconds of control. Along with dominant clinch position.

I posted this in the 'Rob was robbed' thread, and reposting it here for those who believe Rob won.

I'm not influenced by commentators whatsoever but Bisping said exactly what I was thinking that Rob was getting better throughout the fight and he had his moments in Rounds 2 to 4, and won the 5th. But its dang clear Izzy won rounds 1 to 4 especially looking at the significant punch stats for each round.

We, as fans, and even the commentary team were constantly had a focus on Rob and his strikes and takedowns because everyone is wondering 'How is Rob going to beat this guy?' and we have an greater emphasis of attention on Rob's minimal advantages in each round in comparison to Izzy's overall more significant advantages each round.

I can't blame anyone for thinking Rob was winning more rounds than he actually was because even I had to remind myself to not ignore the strikes Izzy was landing and avoid only giving attention to Rob's.

I can't recall any fights in recent memory that I am so empathetic to ONE fighter over the other, trying to see through his eyes, in the middle of the fight.

Amazing fight. Clearly the #1 and #2 Middleweights of this era of MMA.
Bisping said rob won 2 and 5. So theres that. Of course this is after the fight and he’s come to his senses. Rob also clearly won rnd 4 so theres that. And those significant strikes stats are make believe.

Personally I would feel it is a bit of a draw but Izzy had better ringmanship. He reacted better in exchanges. Rob had a look of defeat in the first round. I can see why judges would give it to Izzy. Rob would have won if he was able to established some sort of control on the ground but he didn't. Israel just scooted towards the cage and used it to stand up.

Izzy always does nothing but leg kicks lol. This is nothing new.
He's this master kickboxer who can't land anything but a leg kick.
Damn Brodie, check that sodium. He's not the best boxer, but he dropped Rob with a punch.

No one really thinks Rob won, they just hate Israel. Close fight, but the right man won.

Wow..

I guess many Rob fans or izzy haters read the poll as "what fighter do you like best"

<Huh2>

That isn't a criteria lol

"looking scared"

apparently having a normal face auto gives you 1 point every round now FOH

It's the visuals of it, and in a close fight, visuals are absolutely enormous. Go study how WMMA fights get judged. Visuals are the most important thing in those.

If you have a fight where the rounds are relatively close, the judges are always just going to score it for the fighter that looks more willing to engage and is always the one on the front foot. Rob looked scared to engage too much (there's nothing wrong with this, really. He would be a fool not to think this way after the last fight), and he was the one doing way more backing away.

I gave R1 and R3 to Izzy, R2 and R5 to Rob. R4 was the decider, thought Rob did slightly more. Very low action fight, so literally one punch, one kick or one attempted takedown could shift it. Very keen on a rewatch.

Rob needs to train wrestling with the Dagestanis.
100%. i thought he had the right gameplan but he just doesn't have the skill/strength to pull a khabib once he had Izzy on the mat or against the fence

After 1st rd - Izzy airballed for 4rds.
Rob had TD's, pinned Izzy against cage and continually snapping his head back.
Hell, even the highlights were all Whittaker.
Crowds that went ape shit for Izzy ended up booing the decision.

Takedowns don't mean shit if there's little control time

I had Israel winning 3 rounds to 2. (r1,2,3). 4 was close to a pick ems, but my gut says Robert.

I thought for one he simply did more damage. I think in an objective sense that has to be true. Robert's leg was actually really hurtt and he showed it in most of those rounds.

Two, Israel seemed to be in more aggressive situations while they were standing. Like at the end of round 2 he was throwing a bunch of round house kicks to the head and upper body, Robert was blocking them but the high amount of volumes from a round house is still some damage when it's that frequent. Even outside of kicks Israel seemed unbothered by Robert's power, the same can't be said by Israel.

Three, even though Robert did take down Israel it was usually really short. The round where Robert was on Israel's back and was threatening with a choke (I think 4) was probably the round I would give to Robert. 2 and 3 though....

I think in 2022 we are past the whole "if you get taken down you lose the round". Robert was not closer to ending the fight than Israel in most of those rounds, so I don't think he should have won though it was close.

I scored it for Rob, but it was an incredibly close fight where one punch or one kick could change the outcome.

R1 and R3 to Izzy. R2 and R5 for Rob. R4 was the least clear but I thought Rob just edged it.

Look forward to watching back without commentary.

I thought Rob just edged Izzy. In saying that, a belt should not be won with a challenger edging a win. I don't think Rob did quite enough to win the belt. Congratulations to Izzy....a man that has really grown on me as time has gone on. It is one thing to have good reach, it is another thing to use it properly.......Izzy is an absolute master of using it to its absolute advantage.

Pretty forgettable fight but I had Adesanya clearly winning although they were somewhat evenly matched.

Back