Why do you think Stricklands win vs Izzy is rated higher than Dricus’ win vs Rob?

Ahmed Masood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Not taking anything away from Sean’s ridiculous victory over Izzy (Sean was a +470 underdog vs Izzy as a -650 fav), but I think throughout the build up of UFC 297, people forget how big Dricus’ win vs Rob was.

For context, Rob had lost to no one at MW bar Izzy, and the 2nd fight was questionable as to whether Izzy actually won that. He had just come off the best performance of his career vs Vettori. Going into their UFC 290 fight, Rob was a -385 fav vs Dricus as a +330 underdog and a +400 underdog to get the finish.

Nobody was predicting that he would beat Rob so the manner in which he did so, made it all the more impressive. Again not taking away from Sean’s performance, but why the lack of shine on Dricus for pulling an arguably greater upset?

Literally by the numbers Sean was the bigger underdog so there's no argument there. DDP was absolutely seen as more of a threat than Sean ever was bc ones a finisher and the other isn't. Style wise Izzy should have murdered Sean and struggled with DDP, so Sean actually winning dominantly was more impressive than DDP taking out rob.

They were both big wins, but Izzy was the champ and only lost to Pereira in a competitive fight before that.
Dude was also coming off a massive KO and tbh was a way worse stylistic matchup(on paper) for Sean then Rob was to DDP.

That being said, Rob/DDP is still a huge upset.

Last edited:
Hell of a post. Damn real chin scratcher. I'd say Strickland's win for me was bigger. DDP's KO of Whitaker definitely commented him as a top contender in my mind though.

Cause Izzy is better than Rob...?

Tf kinda question is this?

Because beating up Izzy is always a beautiful thing!

Nobody thought Sean would win, including myself.

On paper Izzy had far more weapons, far more reach, and bigger power.

A lot of us also thought Bobby Knux would be too slick for Dricus, but it was far less of a mismatch on paper.

They are both huge wins obviously.
Yes Strickland was a bigger underdog, and it was for the belt vs the champion who beat Rob twice.

The counter is the second fight was very close, and many people (myself included) scored it for Rob.

And perhaps the most important factor is that Dricus finished Rob, within 2 rounds. No decision (clear or otherwise). Finishes are more impressive than decisions.

Don't think there is a clear answer here, but we get to see them both fight tomorrow, and it rates to be a banger.

Strickland won 5 rounds striking against supposedly the best striker the UFC has ever seen.

DDP did very well, but it's more like he rocked Rob and he never recovered.

Easily. He essentially shut out Izzy striking, beating him at his own game and won the belt. What DDP did was impressive but it's hardly the 1st time Rob has been finished and Rob has been rocked a lot of times before where he was able to recover, much more times than Izzy.

Beeecaause obviously?

Does this really need to be a thought experiment?

? why is this even a question

Izzy beat Rob twice, so beating Izzy is going to be more impressive than beating Rob

Why was beating Ali more impressive than beating Jerry Quarry?

Back