Who knew that Collar and Elbow Wrestling still existed? Well sort of...

Collar and Elbow wrestling is actually from Ireland, and is evidently close to judo. I am familiar with collar and elbow position in from folkstyle wrestling, but never ran into a pure "collar and elbow" wrestler. Interesting stuff. Check out the Wiki on it. It even says that it favors "smaller" wrestlers and accents speed over strength.

BTW, its so refreshing to get out of the Heavyweights Forum and actually discuss technique with people that know what they are talking about.

Which aspect would you gentlemen prefer the video to address? Submissions, pins, mares, combination submission pins, takedowns, grapevines, escapes, using guard while avoiding the 3 point pin, jacket, no jacket, or a few techniques of each?

Mares and submissions, combination pin/submissions as well as the entries to those submissions.

Any more info on how you incorporate shin kicks into your takedowns? They sound like massive awesome.

When I did muay thai I did shin kick take downs from the clinch. I used it a couple of times during mma practice.

Wow, thanks for the story. I would love to pick his brain. Amazing how some of these styles still exist somehow.

I think you would best serve the purpose of generating interest in your art by focusing on those aspects that are unique to it. In other words, the stuff that every BJJer, judoka, wrestler, etc. doesn't already know.

I would personally be very interested in seeing some grapevines and leg attacks along the lines of the one described in the initial post on this thread.

I would love to see Mares and throws, particularly ones that use the shin kicks of foot kicks.

I would also like to see some grapevines, judging from the OPs post there are some really creative stuff you guys do.

Wow, I've missed alot. So many posts... TY Scuffler.

I got to roll with the C&E guy today and we did more talking than actual rolling.

Much of what he said has been posted and even more. That's great because I don't have to type it now.

We talked about using the shin when sweeping the leg out after breaking their balance. I mentioned how it felt like striking. He explained there was few rules back then. To get a good understanding of how this is done, just watch judo timed foot sweeps and picture someone using the shin to kick the leg out and doing it with great force. He showed that you can make someone almost cartwheel by doing this. My leg hurts like hell. I've been icing it all night.

He said that he was trained in the traditional irish style. He explained that a fall constituted a throw that makes the thrown person land on his back. Once this is acheived, the fall is over. The traditional irish-american style allowed groundwork. He was also pretty skilled in this area but he felt his strength is in stand up traditional irish. The modern approach results in c&e wrestlers showing that they are not a "dead" style, is still learning and growing where they find it necessary. Traditional guys used pins in america, utilized submissions in catch, and they will continue adopting whatever they feel's usable while keeping the traditional style intact.

He said "scufflers" are wrestlers who just happen to still train in the traditional style. He added that there is no universal system, and every c&e guy will differ in the amount of ground knowledge, for obvious reasons, but all are very skilled in stand up grappling. I asked how can you tell a real scuffler from a fake, since I searched for days and couldn't find any videos. Here are the things he said...
1. A real scuffler will possess excellent stand up grappling w/ emphasis on leverage techs, instead of strength techs such as slams. Mares, trips, hooking with the foot, etc. These are all prefered over suplexes and slams.
2. A real scuffler is very skilled w/ kicking techs. This is vital in the style. Kicking w/ force applies strength to sweeping techs. This follows in the motto that Scuffler posted: "...apply strength to the leverage gained". (I really like this, it's almost like strong style judo or something).
3. He should be able to display speed while standing and on the ground (of course I believe factors could change this like age).
4. Actual wrestling is the focus. Learn a technique then wrestle, wrestle, wrestle to learn how to use it. He said the mind absorbs the material faster when placed in the "scrap & tap" enviroment.
5. A real scuffler will make students train traditional and modern with equal emphasis. Just because new techs were learned and new rules allowed, does not mean that you neglect the traditional.

He said if you're interested in c&e, there are a few clubs that teach. He is supposed to bring me some information on some that he knows of. I believe he said there is one in North Carolina, one in Boston, and one in Maryland. I've searched but having found anything.

Oh, and thanks again Scuffler I enjoyed the links. I vote for mares and some grapevine leg locks.

EDIT: I'm going to have to check this thread more often, didn't know I'd miss this much of the conversation.

Very intresting thread. Modern CACC stemd from c.e wrestling, Lancashire wrestling etc. I can totally see where Scuffler comes from when it comes to dying arts. I never actually scene a true C&E match up, but ive read up on them, and heard they were very ruff. More power to you guys!

Thanks for the info scuffler, much appreciated.

Dude I quoted, the only backhold wrestling I've found is this

YouTube - scottish backhold wrestling

mute is so you don't hear the woman shouting frazzeeeeeer! all the time.

I just saw the video that shows the move Escargot.

How the hell do you even let the guy get you in that position?

When scuffler says shin kicks.

Does he mean an actual, full hip rotation MT roundhouse off the clinch.

Or is it modified. I'm really interested in this as I've been doing MT quite abit to supplement my wrestling (which is already quite clinch oriented)

Fantastically interesting thread. I hink I'll pick the brains of elders in my family to see if by chance anything was passed down to them.

When scuffler says shin kicks.

Does he mean an actual, full hip rotation MT roundhouse off the clinch.

Or is it modified. I'm really interested in this as I've been doing MT quite abit to supplement my wrestling (which is already quite clinch oriented)

Not every sweep can apply full hip rotation because body positioning will not allow. It should always be your goal to apply the maximum hip rotation available. It depends on the exact technique being used, in order to determine if full Muay Thai style hip rotation can be applied. Experiment with your Muay Thai kicks while clinching. Take notes of when shin kicks can be applied and how much rotation is available. You will begin noticing the angles that need to created, after breaking your opponent's posture, in order to properly apply shin kicking at its maximum effectiveness. Full power shin kicks are more easily accessible from the Collar-and-Elbow clinch than others because this clinch allows for the proper distance and angle creation which is needed in order to execute such techniques.

I just saw the video that shows the move Escargot.

How the hell do you even let the guy get you in that position?

Please note that the Escargot and Snail Grapevine vary in their application and effectiveness.

It appears that he rolled in avoidance of a heel hook technique. As he rolled the scuffler sat up and into a step over toe hold. As you roll, the scuffler grabs control of your opposite leg as he steps over your hips and drops his weight onto them. This instantly creates pressure on the knee and shin that was previously secured in a toe hold. The opposite leg is being controlled and the scuffler scoops it to secures a straight ankle lock or heel hook making sure that he keeps the opponents knee off of the ground so that he cannot base it. I teach this exact set up as apart of a leg focused lock flow. From within opponent's guard; straight ankle lock, inverted ankle lock, inverted heel hook, heel hook, step over toe hold when the opponent rolls, step over into snail grapevine, straight ankle lock from snail, inverted ankle lock from snail, inverted heel hook from snail, heel hook from snail, opposite foot toe grab from snail, and so forth. There are thirty leg, knee, and foot attacks in this one lock flow that I teach and drill. The scuffler Bumpkin encountered, seem to fall into the combination because the series of techniques allowed it happen. Basic but effective way to get into this position, especially when it is being done to someone who is completely unfamiliar with the technique.

There are numerous things that can be done at this point but this seems to be the way that Bumpkin became locked into this position. I have a much easier way to obtain this position from half mount. Do not be fooled by the fanciness, it does not mean that the technique is not effective or unobtainable. The position is common in Collar-and-Elbow and there are numerous ways to obtain it.

I find it to be very useful. It provides more options for leg attacks and offers more control of the opponent while doing so. As long as you keep pressure on the laced leg and the other leg suspended properly so that the knee cannot touch the mat, the only option that an opponent has, is to do a push up with his upper body while trying to extend his unlaced leg, but he is still unable to roll his hips in either direction when secured properly. I have found that it takes a much stronger opponent to roll himself out of this predicament. He has to be able to twist his upper torso around and hope that my base is off tilt so that he can create space and leverage to twist his hips from under me. When I notice this I will just Back Step, as I call it, and easily secure a modified STF.

I hope this reads well, I have never described the technique using the written word. I have always taught the technique in person. It may be one of those things that you have to see to understand. I have this on my list of techniques to cover.

I will begin work on the video soon. Two of my students have agreed to help me with this project. I am assembling a list of valuable basic techniques which are exclusive to Collar-and-Elbow such as the one above.

I will provide further details later.

He said "scufflers" are wrestlers who just happen to still train in the traditional style. He added that there is no universal system, and every c&e guy will differ in the amount of ground knowledge, for obvious reasons, but all are very skilled in stand up grappling. I asked how can you tell a real scuffler from a fake, since I searched for days and couldn't find any videos.

I don't know if agree with the idea of "fake scufflers". You either train in the style or you do not. Wrestling is a sport and I believe that anyone can play a sport whether they are trained or untrained as long as they remain true to the spirit of said sport. Collar-and-Elbow has rules to be followed and a preference towards speed, positioning and leverage. No ranks, no formal titles, we are all just wrestlers at heart.

Anyone can learn how to wrestle while following a specific rule set with, or without, instruction. Calling yourself a scuffler is a way of representing the assets you've learned by practicing the style. There are scufflers with lineage and others whom are considered revivalists. I consider all to be real scufflers because there is no rank system in the style. The only real debate would be "are they a good scuffler"? That can only be determined by their instructional abilities. I was lucky to have past family members participate in the style. When it came time to teach their children how to defend themselves from the common bully, they demonstrated the fighting techniques which had protected them for so many years. This continued on with each generation developing, and adopting, new techniques from experience.

Do they understand the rules? Do they understand the purpose? Do they understand the history? Do they understand the philosophy? And do they practice the Collar-and-Elbow style because they see the effectiveness of the training? They might do things different because they dislike shin kicking and felt it was too striking oriented after being exposed to other styles. They might be better at ground wrestling than stand up. Does that mean they are not authentic? No. Only that they have decided to do what many scufflers before them have. Adapted the style to fit their personal attributes and abilities. They would most likely still believe in the proven philosophy of using speed to achieve positioning in order to apply strength to the leverage gained. Even if you are Brock Lesnar, you can only benefit from this belief.

What is a style anyway? Is it really defined by what techniques differ because most share a majority of the same? I believe the rules, preferences, training methods and philosophy are the true factors that dictates "style", in my opinion only. I accept all unless their answers to above questions, placed in the paragraph above, dictate otherwise.

You posted "a scuffler is just a wrestler that still practices the traditional style". I agree with this statement. How they came to study Collar-and-Elbow is unimportant to me. Whether or not they understand it is. This is strictly my own opinion because the style possesses no titles such as Shooter, Hooker, or Black Belt. It is only a style of wrestling. They are still wrestlers, whom should never restrict themselves to a specific set of techniques or rules. This is why scufflers enjoyed competing against styles with different rule sets. They were grapplers who enjoyed competition and learning the ways of others, while still representing their own preferred style of wrestling and training.

Good posts Bumpkin. Thank you again for creating this thread. I have truly enjoyed it.

Back