Who knew that Collar and Elbow Wrestling still existed? Well sort of...

This sounds pretty similar to what my highschool coach used to teach us for somethings. but he was super old school, like 1972 national freestyle wrestling champion....he taught us alot of illegal stuff and alot i still use today in bjj.

Not to be pushy or anything, but how's the video coming along? I'm fascinated by this stuff and am really looking forward to seeing some of it in action.

Hey guys, I'd just finished reading a book called "Ringside". It has some cool stories about CACC, Greco, and C&E matches.

It talked about "Go As You Please" rules, used by a C&E guy when he would fight Jiujitsu and Sumo. These rules allowed punching and butting.

The C&E guy in my town didn't come in this week. The last time, he showed how to use the whip/Irish Whip to set up some cool trips and foot hooks for the takedown.

Has anyone else been experimenting with the C&E style after reading about the techs? I've playing with the snail grapevine, mare set ups from C&E clinch, and Irish whip trips from C&E clinch.

I thought I would take the time to update everyone on the video.

I have assembled a curriculum of techniques and have arranged them into a way that will build upon each previous lesson. I will film a series. The first video will be focused on traditional techniques. Trips, Hooks, Mares, Defense and Control from the Collar-and-Elbow tie up. The techniques will be jacketless because I feel that most people would be more interested in these techniques.

The second video will be focused on submissions and pins. It will feature my most of my favorite leg attacks. I will not cover traditional heel hooks or ankle locks. They will be in the final lock flow but I believe there are enough videos available which already cover these techniques thoroughly. Instead I will cover the rarer techniques such as the snail grapevine. A sufficient amount of odd entries will be covered as well.

I am sorry about the delay but writing the posts on this thread has inspired me to begin writing on a small book covering the subject. It is coming along nicely. The book will cover much of the history, scufflers, matches, and evolution after competing against Greco-Roman, C-A-C-C, Sumo, French Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu. I am getting old and I have no offspring to pass the knowledge on to and very few students. My family is almost extinct exactly like the Collar-and-Elbow style of wrestling. This is why I began teaching locally. Writing this book and making the video series as a companion is my only way of passing this knowledge. I hope everyone finds use out of this effort when it is completed. I never considered doing so before but I have not been able to stop thinking about the idea recently. Please bare with me I am old and having to use some younger fellows to demonstrate certain techniques plus help me with the whole video process. You gentlemen will be the first to know when it is finished. The gentlemen I am using to film the videos are having to learn certain techniques that they have yet to be exposed to. But we are going as fast as we can without rushing out a mediocre set. I am also looking at certain schools to rent out for a day so that I can film the video in a more professional looking environment instead of my front yard.

In addition to the above mentioned videos I will eventually try to put my complete system on video. Standing grappling, ground grappling, Boxing, Dirty Boxing, Shin Kicking, and blending the techniques fluently with each other.

I thought I would take the time to update everyone on the video.

I have assembled a curriculum of techniques and have arranged them into a way that will build upon each previous lesson. I will film a series. The first video will be focused on traditional techniques. Trips, Hooks, Mares, Defense and Control from the Collar-and-Elbow tie up. The techniques will be jacketless because I feel that most people would be more interested in these techniques.

The second video will be focused on submissions and pins. It will feature my most of my favorite leg attacks. I will not cover traditional heel hooks or ankle locks. They will be in the final lock flow but I believe there are enough videos available which already cover these techniques thoroughly. Instead I will cover the rarer techniques such as the snail grapevine. A sufficient amount of odd entries will be covered as well.

I am sorry about the delay but writing the posts on this thread has inspired me to begin writing on a small book covering the subject. It is coming along nicely. The book will cover much of the history, scufflers, matches, and evolution after competing against Greco-Roman, C-A-C-C, Sumo, French Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu. I am getting old and I have no offspring to pass the knowledge on to and very few students. My family is almost extinct exactly like the Collar-and-Elbow style of wrestling. This is why I began teaching locally. Writing this book and making the video series as a companion is my only way of passing this knowledge. I hope everyone finds use out of this effort when it is completed. I never considered doing so before but I have not been able to stop thinking about the idea recently. Please bare with me I am old and having to use some younger fellows to demonstrate certain techniques plus help me with the whole video process. You gentlemen will be the first to know when it is finished. The gentlemen I am using to film the videos are having to learn certain techniques that they have yet to be exposed to. But we are going as fast as we can without rushing out a mediocre set. I am also looking at certain schools to rent out for a day so that I can film the video in a more professional looking environment instead of my front yard.

In addition to the above mentioned videos I will eventually try to put my complete system on video. Standing grappling, ground grappling, Boxing, Dirty Boxing, Shin Kicking, and blending the techniques fluently with each other.

Thank you very much. Knowledge is timeless, and does not go extinct. You can be assured that the knowledge you pass on will stay around for a very long time.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to this video!

Deffinitely looking forward to this video. Be great to learn a new perspective on it. I come from a judo/catch background so this should fit in perfectly.

Wow, that is really exciting news! I would have been thrilled to see a five minute youtube video of this stuff; an entire series/book would be amazing. The historical preservation of the art alone would make it worth getting for me, not to mention the practical application of the techniques.

If I may make what I'm sure is an obvious suggestion, I would highly recommend getting an experienced camera operator and video editor to work on this project. This doesn't have to cost any money - depending on where you're located there's a good chance that a film/postproduction student would be willing to do it for free, or if not you could just ask around the local sub grappling gyms and find someone who works with video as a hobby. If all else fails, I'm sure there are film enthusiast forums you could ask around in and find someone in your area who would do it (I could help out in this regard if you like).

A decent camera (or preferably more than one if possible) operated by someone who knows how to use it would provide a clear view of the techniques, and using a boom mic and/or overdubbing would make your instructions easy to hear. The results would be much more professional than using a handycam with the built-in mic, and would help it reach a wider audience.

YouTube - The Footsweep Heard 'Round the World
Here's a cool tech that's very similar to what C&E looks to be. The vid has the guy doing the footsweep from collar and wrist, but it's the same premise, and even harder contact if desired. Lots of stuff like this with posture breaking. Sorda like Judo with a reverse grip and, of course, one of the hands is on the collar instead.

YouTube - The Footsweep Heard 'Round the World
Here's a cool tech that's very similar to what C&E looks to be. The vid has the guy doing the footsweep from collar and wrist, but it's the same premise, and even harder contact if desired. Lots of stuff like this with posture breaking. Sorda like Judo with a reverse grip and, of course, one of the hands is on the collar instead.

love a good foot sweep.

I am very interested in the book and videos you are putting together. Good luck with it!!!

I've been keeping up with this thread, and for whatever reason, I'm pretty hyped.

Just found this thread & I love it! In my opinion, it seems as though Americans should try to revive or keep C&E alive. It has Irish origins, but it has also been practiced by alot of our early American presidents as well as other figures of American history. George Washington was C&E, Taft C&E, Grant, Taylor and Roosevelt are also listed as similar styles and Lincoln was catch.

What happened to this thread! I understand it is old but I would still absolutely love to see how this instructional is.

Def excited about this as well.

I read this thread in its infancy before Scuffler showed up and now Im upset I never visited it again.

I love reading about these old and almost forgotten grappling arts.

I've exchanged some emails with Scuffler, and from my understanding, he's had some health problems but has two of his students doing it while he is writing on the book. They filmed a section on C&E clinch control, "shin-kicking" foot sweeps, and have started filming the mares. I'll send him a email tonight, haven't spoke with him for 3 months or maybe longer. I haven't seen any of the footage yet and would like learn more, the C&E dude stopped coming to the club months ago.

Hello everyone. Sorry about the delay. I have been working rigorously on the instructional video and the companion book. I have been in and out of the hospital over the last few months with illness. It has given me much time to write but less time to oversee the video. As stated by Bumpkin, I have passed this task on to my two best students/training partners. Both are more than capable of handling this and I have only had a few notes to add here and there. They are doing a remarkable job and should be finished with the stand-up portion of the video soon. We will be addressing the ground work when finished with the standing techniques.

Thank you for your interest in this style. I pray that other scufflers are working to keep the Collar-and-Elbow alive as well. I have noticed that this thread is one of the top results when searching Collar-and-Elbow Wrestling. Hopefully discussions such as this one and others will influence young people to seek out more knowledge of the style whether it be through scufflers such as myself or through older books or eventual videos. Much of Collar-and-Elbow's contributions to grappling have been ignored and erased throughout our history. This is due to many reasons such as spectator preference for heavyweights, prejudice against the Irish-Americans by the English-Americans, and scufflers participating in professional wrestling and Catch-As-Catch-Can rule sets; just to name a few. Still to this day many are unaware of how much influence Collar-and-Elbow had on Catch-As-Catch-Can and early professional wrestling. Again thanks to everyone who has interest in learning the style, or just learning of.

I also recently discovered a book which discusses the reasons why Collar-and-Elbow information is so scarce.

The main reasoning seems to be due to the illiteracy of most Irish-Americans during the prominence of the style. It was always taught hands on and not through literature. Instead, it was usually referenced by the better educated spectators or by practitioners of other styles which encountered Collar-and-Elbow. It is a very interesting read. I will post more about this part of Collar-and-Elbow's history after I have finished reading it.

Collar and Elbow wrestling seems to have such a rich history. Especially considering what you just presented, pertaining to prejudice.

Back