Who knew that Collar and Elbow Wrestling still existed? Well sort of...

Wow I can't believe I just found this thread today... I read through several years in one sitting :) Fantastic thread, I had never heard of scufflers or c&e before.

The first set of videos is going smoothly. "Grips, Control, Mares, and Trips" is the title and I'll be sending it out privately at first. Send me your contact info via private message if you're interested in scuffling the C&E way. These will be the first videos of a set of seven categories. Should be ready very soon.

The first set of videos is going smoothly. "Grips, Control, Mares, and Trips" is the title and I'll be sending it out privately at first. Send me your contact info via private message if you're interested in scuffling the C&E way. These will be the first videos of a set of seven categories. Should be ready very soon.

Wow, so great you are taking the time to this. I sent you a pm and i am very interested.

Love this thread. I actually discovered through this thread that there is a for; of collar and elbow wrestling practiced in Britanny, in the old celtic region of France. This is fascinating !

Love this thread. I actually discovered through this thread that there is a for; of collar and elbow wrestling practiced in Britanny, in the old celtic region of France. This is fascinating !

Historically this doesn't surprise me because of the Gaelic connection (collar & elbow developing in Ireland). Pretty cool though. I knew of the Breton and Backhold forms of wrestling from France that influenced modern day Greco Roman, not never thought about a possible Collar & Elbow connection.

What a fantastically interesting thread. Is there any news on these videos or instructionals?

This thread rules. Very sad it apparently died off just as it seemed to be heading somewhere great.

Last edited:
Found a couple books with references to it, i think most of them are on google books. I'll upload some info whenever I have time.

It is difficult to locate videos pertaining to such styles on places such as dailymotion or youtube because these styles are, in every since of the term, "dying arts". Those whom still practice, IMPO, choose not to teach through the video media forum. This could be due to numerous reasons. I personally do not teach Collar-and-Elbow via video because I feel that it is a style which can only be taught by experiencing it, not by observing. I also know that there would be very few Collar-and-Elbow representatives practicing these techniques, and instead, it would be grapplers of other systems incorporating them into their current style. Call me stingy but Collar-and-Elbow needs people to represent the style in order to survive. Placing videos online will not serve this purpose but only further hurt it, when a majority Jitsers and Catchers adopt the techniques into their respected style, which is usually done without credit. This forces Scufflers and Backers to horde their knowledge, only passing it on to those who would represent the style proudly. The argument can be made, that such videos would help generate exposure to the styles, but most feel that due to the fragile state of these styles, doing so would do more harm than good because they would, in essence, teaching other styles how to compete against their own.

Most people cross-train these days, I think it's a good thing. I practice BJJ, Judo and Freestyle Wrestling. Judokas say my Judo looks like wrestling, wrestlers say my wrestling looks like Judo, and my BJJ has a definite flavor of both. Traditional styles can either join the greater grappling community or die out; it's up to you.

Great thread and very interesting!It is terrific that Scuffler is passing on his amazing knowledge of collar and elbow along with his students.Great for the wrestling and grappling world!!

I think this thread died a while ago with Scufflers health problems. I hope he's doing well after all these years.

Edit: I see there was an update from Scuffler himself that I missed. How did the video set go?

Back