Who Is The Best Villain?

Avoiding the question isn't making your concession any less transparent.
You mean the part where I said I agreed these were bad people?

Mick.... Mickey. Come on. You can do it.

Yes, he is. Burgess has explicitly said that he is a villain.

Avoiding the question isn't making your concession any less transparent.

are we talking the film or the novel, because they're two different things.

Technically: "Now maybe one of you can explain to me how Alex's favorite pastime of raping and brutalizing random women is something I'm simply misunderstanding" is not a question.

There's not even a question mark, the usual sign of, you know. A question.

You mean the part where I said I agreed these were bad people?

Mick.... Mickey. Come on. You can do it.
Then you agree he's a villain. Yes, we're all square. We're on the same page.
are we talking the film or the novel, because they're two different things.
Either, doesn't matter. In the film it's never implied that Alex's behavior is "normal". Nor does any perceived trend negate that it is made clear that Alex knows the difference between right and wrong, and that he relishes in doing evil.

Hans Landa (Inglourious Basterds)

Drexl (True Romance)

Waingro (Heat)

Rick Masters (To Live and Die in L.A.)

All are awesome.

blue-velver-hopper-mad.jpg
baby wants to fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either, doesn't matter. In the film it's never implied that Alex's behavior is "normal". Nor does any perceived trend negate that it is made clear that Alex knows the difference between right and wrong, and that he relishes in doing evil.

i don't know what's "right" in that movie. i thought the major difference from the novel to the film was that kubrick gave the impression that alex went back to his "normal" self, and that's just who he was. in the novel, alex eventually changed.

The thing is. If he's the protagonist, he can't be the villain. We're meant to sympathize with Alex, aren't we? About how society has made him what he is and now tries to keep him tucked away, but in doing so fucks it all up?

it's been a while since i seen a clockwork orange, but don't we only really sympathize with alex after he's gone through the procedure and is trying to turn his life around but his past keeps catching up to him?

tumblr_lyjgp9Qscd1rou2gpo1_500.gif

Clarence J. Boddicker

it's been a while since i seen a clockwork orange, but don't we only really sympathize with alex after he's gone through the procedure and is trying to turn his life around but his past keeps catching up to him?
I think it's fair to regard him however you will. To me Alex is simply representative of this villainous culture, a figurehead. Which is further reinforced via the "rehab" metaphor. Here's the deal: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE doesn't have a villain in the sense of a good versus bad story, and that's just one of my major criteria for " film villain." Without this dynamic, I tend not to think too much of this cadre of bad dudes. Not with pieces of shit like Clarence Boddicker and Nurse Ratchehtfcj. However you spell it. She's a stone bitch.

Don't get me wrong. I get that people are measuring these characters by an If They Were Real yardstick. I just prefer the classic Good Vs Evil structure.

Boddicker is so awesome. Burn the fucking world. It is a better dynamic than ambiguity, TGF.

I think it's fair to regard him however you will. To me Alex is simply representative of this villainous culture, a figurehead. Which is further reinforced via the "rehab" metaphor. Here's the deal: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE doesn't have a villain in the sense of a good versus bad story, and that's just one of my major criteria for " film villain." Without this dynamic, I tend not to think too much of this cadre of bad dudes. Not with pieces of shit like Clarence Boddicker and Nurse Ratchehtfcj. However you spell it. She's a stone bitch.

Don't get me wrong. I get that people are measuring these characters by an If They Were Real yardstick. I just prefer the classic Good Vs Evil structure.

nice points. i'd say if anyone is the villain in a clockwork orange, it'd be society at large.

I voted Bill, but consider him a hero. GO NATIVES!!!

nice points. i'd say if anyone is the villain in a clockwork orange, it'd be society at large.
It's always a generational criticism, but in truth reveals that in fact WE are the villains yadda yadda yadda. I swear to god CLOCKWORK ORANGE and it's hippy granola bullshit, man .... just fuckin entertain me, Kubrick! THAT'S ALL I WANT. Not this put everything in the center of frame mathematic nonsense! SHIT!

It's always a generational criticism, but in truth reveals that in fact WE are the villains yadda yadda yadda. I swear to god CLOCKWORK ORANGE and it's hippy granola bullshit, man .... just fuckin entertain me, Kubrick! THAT'S ALL I WANT. Not this put everything in the center of frame mathematic nonsense! SHIT!

for goodness' sake, they're feeding the kids milk chock-full of stuff that'll get them ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence. then you have the probation officer punching alex in the testicles, hobos beating up kids en mass, and cops brutalizing civilians.

stfutgf

have you all come to the consensus that Hans Gruber is the GOAT yet, or do you guys need more time?

Back