Who in the UFC HW division do you see Ishii beating/humping to a decision?

kikikhan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can see him humping the better part of the roster.

091005_sengoku_04.jpg

He's not in the UFC, because he is making more in Japan. But I'm sure he could hump most of the UFC HWs.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'd agree with you TS, if I remember he's pretty small for a HW, got destroyed by Fedor & beaten soundly by Crocop. Other Sherdoggers are cricitcising those latter 2 fighters as being washed-up so where does that put Ishii?

Stylistically I'd like to see him match-up with Mir but I think he'd get ragdolled. Having said that, I haven't seen his recent fights... what makes you think he has the ability to beat the UFC's top HW's?

091005_sengoku_04.jpg

He's not in the UFC, because he is making more in Japan. But I'm sure he could hump most of the UFC HWs.

My question is how would you be able to tell if this guy smoked weed

Not sure if I'd agree with you TS, if I remember he's pretty small for a HW, got destroyed by Fedor & beaten soundly by Crocop. Other Sherdoggers are cricitcising those latter 2 fighters as being washed-up so where does that put Ishii?

Stylistically I'd like to see him match-up with Mir but I think he'd get ragdolled. Having said that, I haven't seen his recent fights... what makes you think he has the ability to beat the UFC's top HW's?

He is a 240 pound judo gold medalist with many MMA wins. I don't see him getting raggdolled by anybody.

Fedor was a beast after Hendo KOed him.

He was past his prime, but had the right approach and of course he won.

CC has allways been hard to take down and he obviously recovered a good deal mentally. He beat Gonzaga too and Ishiii gave him more trouble than Gonzaga.

CC, who looked better than in the UFC (more relaxed and more agressive) beat Ishii by a cut by and elbow from bellow and by head kick KO, but Ishii gave him a fight 2x, before that happened.

Oh BTW Ishii beat Sylvia, who weighed 140 kg, but looked good and moved well.

Say what you will about Sylvia, but he was definitely an UFC caliber fighter in 2012.

He beat DeFries who was 2-3 in the UFC.

Ishii is defininitely good enough for UFC.

Last edited:
^Beat me to it. Ishii getting rag dolled by Mir is laughable. Mir getting a slick sub off his back is much more possible. Ishii is also a legitimate BJJ brown belt. He is a world class grappler and elite among MMA heavyweights in grappling. The way to beat him has always been a good or powerful striker with good TDD.

I do believe he's one of the best HWs not in the UFC, but I believe he's hit his ceiling unless he changes camps and gets serious about his striking.

I've always found it kind of odd watching Ishii fight.
Sometimes he looks like a beast and at other times, he kind of looks pretty lost in there.

UFC offered Ishii a great deal originally but I think he said he wasnt ready for the big leagues. Now we know that is clearly the case. Ishii wouldnt cut it in UFC, certainly not as the smallest Hw on the roster.

Who has he beaten? Mostly old washed up fighters, JLB, Sylvia, Monson, Rizzo...

In UFC Maybe Shawn Jordan level? I think he would struggle cracking the top 20 at his size. He is a Lhw naturally at 5"11.

Ishii has struggled for some time and would continue to struggle at heavy weight against the better fighters in the UFC.

Part of it is that he's undersized for the division and really should be fighting at 205 or maybe even 185. The other problem he has is that his career has been terribly handled. He's hopped camps multiple times and has been making bizarre choices in terms of accepting fights.

His first two losses were terrible match ups.

Yoshida was his very first fight. Yoshida was an Olympic Judoka with far more MMA experience (17th fight).

Fedor was his 7th fight. Everyone politely ignores that not only was Fedor arguably the GOAT, but Fedor was also a world class Judoka/grappler.

Aside from all that Ishii has a few key weaknesses stylistically. First, he likes to strike WAY too much and he's not very good at it. Over his entire career he has NO KO's or TKO's. He has okay ground game (he specialized in tachi-waza throws, not newaza but has some BJJ -- he's good but nowhere near great). A total of 5 subs over his entire career (3 kimura's, 1 americana, and 1 arm bar in his 2nd fight.

Honestly, I have no idea why Ishii continues to avoid building on his greatest strength which is his tachi-waza game (take downs). He should basically be putting striking on the back burner and working almost exclusively on newaza and BJJ.

Ishii is just the latest example of a high level prospect who has gotten away from his strengths and it has lead to poor results.

^Beat me to it. Ishii getting rag dolled by Mir is laughable. Mir getting a slick sub off his back is much more possible. Ishii is also a legitimate BJJ brown belt. He is a world class grappler and elite among MMA heavyweights in grappling. The way to beat him has always been a good or powerful striker with good TDD.

I do believe he's one of the best HWs not in the UFC, but I believe he's hit his ceiling unless he changes camps and gets serious about his striking.

One of the best not in the UFC :rolleyes:

I could name 10 better heavies outside UFC. Maybe top 15 outside the UFC but your talking fringe top 50 in the world and an undersized Hw at that. Someone posted 240lbs now!!! I rememeber him being 220 something. Id say a lot of UFC Lhw's like Bader and Glover would make him look small at 205.

Those two loses to Mirko didn't help either. I like Ishii, but he would be another average HW in a terrible division in the UFC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back