Who Else Thinks That Machida Would Destroy Gustafsson

Every time I click on these kinds of sweeping ignorant threads, it's a white belt thread starter.

After 6+ years on this account, I have finally come around on the idea that white belts shouldn't be able to start threads. I used to resist that notion, but it's gotten progressively more retarded over the last few years.

I'd see Machida as more likely to get a ko/tko than Gus. But it wouldn't be a destruction.

Seriously?

I'd understand a belief in a dominant decision, but KO? That's just crazy when looking at the facts.

Seriously?

I'd understand a belief in a dominant decision, but KO? That's just crazy when looking at the facts.

I'm not sure what facts you're talking about. How Gus's chin held out against Shogun?

Gus versus Machida would in all likelihood end up being a stalemate (think Edgar - Bendo 2). Both guys are counter strikers who like to attack while backing up, or from range. So both guys would dance around feeling each other out, waiting for the other to make the first move. It might be one of those boring yet supremely intense, oh-god-the-tension-is-killing-me, sort of fights.

Gus versus Machida would in all likelihood end up being a stalemate (think Edgar - Bendo 2). Both guys are counter strikers who like to attack while backing up, or from range. So both guys would dance around feeling each other out, waiting for the other to make the first move. It might be one of those boring yet supremely intense, oh-god-the-tension-is-killing-me, sort of fights.

i guess you missed gustafsson/shogun last week. you should check it out; great fight.

I'm not sure what facts you're talking about. How Gus's chin held out against Shogun?

First: The KO rate of Machida and Gus. Gus has a much higher KO rate than Machida. He also drops his opponents more frequently in general.

Second: The proven chin of Gus vs the human chin of Machida.

Came of as bit of an ass with the Seriously? Part I reckon. Didn't mean to be rude. Was just very surprised.

i guess you missed gustafsson/shogun last week. you should check it out; great fight.

This post doesn't make any sense. Are you seriously implying that Machida and Shogun have a similar striking game?

Edit: I laid out why Shogun was a pretty bad match up for Gus in case you missed it. Lyoto's style is nothing like Shogun's, just in case you're not aware.

Gustafsson is a great fighter, but guys like Thiago Silva and Shogun are tailor made for his striking game, and I think that has made him look a little bit better than he is on the feet.

Gus likes to bait guys into charging at him, swinging wildly, while he picks them apart with counter strikes as he back pedals (he loves him some pedaling uppercuts). Shogun and Thiago were both more than willing to charge forward and swing wildly. Shad is a lot more patient than that, and won't play directly into Gus' strength and game plan like Shogun and Thiago did.

The key to fighting Gus on the feet is to ignore his flailing arms and fakes, not rush in, and make him bring the fight to you. Shad can be a devastating counter striker when he's on his game, and he's not going to engage recklessly. Both things are pluses for fighting against Gus.

Everything that might potentially work for Shad applies even more so to Machida.

Last edited:
I wish Gus would kick more. He's got kind've t-rex arms for his height, but his legs seem long.

This post doesn't make any sense. Are you seriously implying that Machida and Shogun have a similar striking game?

Edit: I laid out why Shogun was a pretty bad match up for Gus in case you missed it. Lyoto's style is nothing like Shogun's, just in case you're not aware.

I think he's implying that Gus wasn't counterstriking much and was the aggressor for much of the fight.

you're claiming that gustafsson sits on the outside looking to counterstrike. he does no such thing. he mixes it up very well. at times he'll rush forward and attack, other times he'll dart in and out. he doesn't just wait for his opponent to attack then counter off of that. he also works some grappling into his game plan in order to keep his opponents off balance. i don't see him as one dimensional as you're trying to make him seem.

First: The KO rate of Machida and Gus. Gus has a much higher KO rate than Machida. He also drops his opponents more frequently in general.

Second: The proven chin of Gus vs the human chin of Machida.

Came of as bit of an ass with the Seriously? Part I reckon. Didn't mean to be rude. Was just very surprised.

I'd say Machida has ko'd higher competition. The Evans ko stands out, a much bigger win than anything Gus has done. The way Machida can cover distance and deliver something huge (Couture,Bader) I could definitely see him finishing Gus.

Basically I hope we see this fight, a few months ago people were complaining about lhw being weak but I don't know what they're talking about.

No you dense prick, you're the idiot. Gus is being talked of as if he is the heir apparent to Bones, and thus he is wildly overrated, as the level of guys below Jones would destroy him, never mind Jones himself.

Rashad would take Gus down and dominate him, almost as easily as Phil Davis did. Hendo would probably knock him out, Dan is a cut above.

We all think you're pretty much an idiot.

That doesn't always mean something... but this time it does. Stop posting. Forever.

Gustafsson is a great fighter, but guys like Thiago Silva and Shogun are tailor made for his striking game, and I think that has made him look a little bit better than he is on the feet.

Gus likes to bait guys into charging at him, swinging wildly, while he picks them apart with counter strikes as he back pedals (he loves him some pedaling uppercuts). Shogun and Thiago were both more than willing to charge forward and swing wildly. Shad is a lot more patient than that, and won't play directly into Gus' strength and game plan like Shogun and Thiago did.

The key to fighting Gus on the feet is to ignore his flailing arms and fakes, not rush in, and make him bring the fight to you. Shad can be a devastating counter striker when he's on his game, and he's not going to engage recklessly. Both things are pluses for fighting against Gus.

It is possible that Shogun and Thiago Silva are tailor made for Alexander, but those are top tier strikers nonetheless, which does say a lot about Alexander's striking.

Rashad is the most intelligent fighter out of Thiago Silva and Shogun. So in that sense I would agree that he would have a more elusive style against Alexander, because rushing forward against Alexander causes much dismay on his opponents. I would respectfully disagree that Alexander swings wildly, I believe he is a disciplined striker; he constantly throws combinations in his exchanges that can only be learned from hours of drilling in the gym, which is kind of the antithesis of wild striking.

It is possible that Rashad lands a big counter on the feet, I do not think it is a given that he gets destroyed in that aspect. I don't know if it is a good idea to stand with Alexander, not just for Rashad but practically anyone in the division, especially since it is clear that Alexander's weakness is on the ground. Rashad's best chance of winning this fight (which gives him a great chance to win) is by using his strongest skill, the proven key to victory against Alexander, grappling.

Everything that might potentially work for Shad applies even more so to Machida.

Edit: I should also add that Rashad has the best take down set ups of anyone not named Georges, so while fighting at a distance is definitely a weakness in Shad's game, he is more than capable of getting inside on guys. Mother of god, just look at some of the combinations he used to set up take downs on Page. They were brilliant.

guys like silva and shogun are not easy match ups for gustafsson at all. they have very good grappling, heavy hands, and strong chins. gustafsson landed some very nice strikes on them and wasn't able to finish when probably over 90% of the division would have suffered a tko, rashad included.

yeah, you can talk about how great evans looked against rampage, but remember that rampage was coming off a lay-off due to filming a movie, and he looked like ass in that fight. we've seen how crappy jackson can look when he doesn't train properly (bader/rampage anyone?). quinton has also become extremely one-dimensional over the past couple of years, which also led to evans knowing that all he had to do was avoid rampage's haymakers and he was free to cage-f'ck him (which he did for most of the fight, along with a healthy dose of lnp).

you're claiming that gustafsson sits on the outside looking to counterstrike. he does no such thing. he mixes it up very well. at times he'll rush forward and attack, other times he'll dart in and out. he doesn't just wait for his opponent to attack then counter off of that. he also works some grappling into his game plan in order to keep his opponents off balance. i don't see him as one dimensional as you're trying to make him seem.

When did I say he was one dimensional? He can rush forward and mix it up, but he prefers to stay elusive and counter strike. His most devastating strike is that back pedaling uppercut. Watch Machida versus Silva, and then Gus versus Silva. Virtually identical game plans. Gus is a tad more aggressive when his opponent settles down, which would...play directly into Machida's strength. Gus is at his worst on the feet (relatively speaking) when he has to bring the fight to his opponent. He gets caught far too often, but his chin bails him out. A lot of times his idea of stand up defense is to fully extend his arms out and establish distance between himself and his opponent. That sloppy technique would be a huge no-no against Machida (Jon Jones does this a lot and the one time Machida caught him was when he was doing this very thing. Gus does not have the reach of Jones, nor does he use his size as effectively, meaning he is more likely to get caught in a similar fashion, but worse).

Machida could flash KO him with a counter punch or something but I don't consider that destruction; or likely.

Plz, Gustafsson would flash KO him with a counter punch. Gustafsson is like a JMM'esque offensive counter puncher, which is why he's my favorite fighter to watch :D.

Destroy no but I would pick lyoto to win. He will frustrate the hell out of Gus. Gustafson has become insanely overrated on here. He would lose very badly to Jones.

It is possible that Shogun and Thiago Silva are tailor made for Alexander, but those are top tier strikers nonetheless, which does say a lot about Alexander's striking.

Rashad is the most intelligent fighter out of Thiago Silva and Shogun. So in that sense I would agree that he would have a more elusive style against Alexander, because rushing forward against Alexander causes much dismay on his opponents. I would respectfully disagree that Alexander swings wildly, I believe he is a disciplined striker; he constantly throws combinations in his exchanges that can only be learned from hours of drilling in the gym, which is kind of the antithesis of wild striking.

It is possible that Rashad lands a big counter on the feet, I do not think it is a given that he gets destroyed in that aspect. I don't know if it is a good idea to stand with Alexander, not just for Rashad but practically anyone in the division, especially since it is clear that Alexander's weakness is on the ground. Rashad's best chance of winning this fight (which gives him a great chance to win) is by using his strongest skill, the proven key to victory against Alexander, grappling.

I didn't say Gus swings wildly. I meant he baits other guys into swinging wildly, and then capitalizes off of that with pin point accuracy while backing up (those devastating uppercuts being the main weapon of choice).

I think Machida would for sure beat him. I think he has the best chance against Jones too. As long as he gets a full camp and is careful not to allow Jones to close the distance or get TDs.

No one is ''destroying'' Gus...dude is legit.

Beat him to a UD yes. I see lyoto beating Gus in a semi competitive fight...STYLES MAKE FIGHTS

Last edited:
Back