Who Else Thinks That Machida Would Destroy Gustafsson

When did I say he was one dimensional? He can rush forward and mix it up, but he prefers to stay elusive and counter strike. His most devastating strike is that back pedaling uppercut. Watch Machida versus Silva, and then Gus versus Silva. Virtually identical game plans. Gus is a tad more aggressive when his opponent settles down, which would...play directly into Machida's strength. Gus is at his worst on the feet (relatively speaking) when he has to bring the fight to his opponent. He gets caught far too often, but his chin bails him out. A lot of times his idea of stand up defense is to fully extend his arms out and establish distance between himself and his opponent. That sloppy technique would be a huge no-no against Machida.

right here:

Gus versus Machida would in all likelihood end up being a stalemate (think Edgar - Bendo 2). Both guys are counter strikers who like to attack while backing up, or from range. So both guys would dance around feeling each other out, waiting for the other to make the first move. It might be one of those boring yet supremely intense, oh-god-the-tension-is-killing-me, sort of fights.

what you're saying now completely contradicts what you said earlier, i.e. that gustafsson would just "dance around" waiting for machida to make a move.

also, the "flailing arms defense" (which gustafsson does not do as often as you claim) worked greats for jones vs machida and othe prominent lhw's :icon_lol:

i've no clue what you're talking about when you claim that his "back-pedaling upper-cut" is his most devastating strike. he flattened matyushenko and hammil with jabs, and he landed a couple of vicious kicks on shogun. the uppercuts he hit him with were also part of combinations he set up while he moved forward with a jab.

guys like silva and shogun are not easy match ups for gustafsson at all. they have very good grappling, heavy hands, and strong chins. gustafsson landed some very nice strikes on them and wasn't able to finish when probably over 90% of the division would have suffered a tko, rashad included.

Thiago and Shogun are great fighters, but that does not change the fact that they are always going to be at a stylistic disadvantage against someone like Gus.

I didn't say Gus swings wildly. I meant he baits other guys into swinging wildly, and then capitalizes off of that with pin point accuracy while backing up (those devastating uppercuts being the main weapon of choice).

Oh okay, yeah I agree with that. He loves the jab, uppercut combination. He often uses front kicks and leg kicks to measure up his opponents as well. Sorry about the misinterpretation :)

"Destroy" is a strong word. I believe Machida got what it takes to UD him, but at this point I would favor Gustafsson by a moderate margin.

I'd say Machida has ko'd higher competition. The Evans ko stands out, a much bigger win than anything Gus has done. The way Machida can cover distance and deliver something huge (Couture,Bader) I could definitely see him finishing Gus.

Basically I hope we see this fight, a few months ago people were complaining about lhw being weak but I don't know what they're talking about.

Finishing Evans is impressive indeed. But KOing Couture and Bader is definitely not leagues above what Gus has done. Finishing Silva with that falling fist of doom was pretty awesome though (and something Gus could not replicate in result). Conversely, one also needs to remember that Machida has gone to decision against quite a few unimpressive opponents in comparison as well.

I too hope we will se this matchup. We can go back and forth on the forums, but we can only really know once they step into that cage. All I do know, is that anyone who thinks either fighter has it in the bag probably is delusional.

right here:

what you're saying now completely contradicts what you said earlier, i.e. that gustafsson would just "dance around" waiting for machida to make a move.

No, it doesn't. Gus likes to counter strike. It is his strength. If you do not know this, you must not watch Gus fight.

He will engage if the other guy isn't coming forward, but coming at Machida like he did against Silva is a no-no. Gus is a smart fighter. He probably would not do that. Thus a stalemate might occur. How hard is it to follow simple logic?

also, the "flailing arms defense" (which gustafsson does not do as often as you claim) worked greats for jones vs machida and othe prominent lhw's :icon_lol:

Flailing arms defense, motherfucker. I got picture pages supporting my argument.

Edit: I should point out that I didn't say "flailing arms defense" in my post. I said, "A lot of times his idea of stand up defense is to fully extend his arms out and establish distance between himself and his opponent."Gus does flail his arms, but that is an old karate technique used to keep your opponent off balance and confused about when/where your punches will come from.

view.php

Here is the link if the image isn't appearing:
http://www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1775729/Gus_3.png#.UMzD1m_AcVQ

Re-watch the fight, you don't know what you're talking about.

i've no clue what you're talking about when you claim that his "back-pedaling upper-cut" is his most devastating strike. he flattened matyushenko and hammil with jabs, and he landed a couple of vicious kicks on shogun. the uppercuts he hit him with were also part of combinations he set up while he moved forward with a jab.

Back pedaling uppercut motherfucker.

view.php

Here is the link if the image isn't working: http://www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1775713/Gus_1.png#.UMzCmG_AcVQ

Do you even watch the fights? Do you watch them with your eyes closed?

Last edited:
Oh okay, yeah I agree with that. He loves the jab, uppercut combination. He often uses front kicks and leg kicks to measure up his opponents as well. Sorry about the misinterpretation :)

No problem. I worded that sentence kind of awkwardly.

Diaz wants whatever you are smoking. Shogun destroyed Machida and Alex tooled Shogun.
MMAmath is usable here. Machida wont KO Gus (iron chin) but he would be at very high risk to get KTFO himself.

It would be a great test!

I want to hate on Gustafsson because he beat up my old school favourite Shogun! lol but he looks better each fight.

It would love to watch Gus and Machida try to figure out each others style.

No, it doesn't. Gus likes to counter strike. It is his strength. If you do not know this, you must not watch Gus fight.

He will engage if the other guy isn't coming forward, but coming at Machida like he did against Silva is a no-no. Gus is a smart fighter. He probably would not do that. Thus a stalemate might occur. How hard is it to follow simple logic?

Flailing arms defense, motherfucker. I got picture pages supporting my argument.

view.php

Here is the link if the image isn't appearing:
http://www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1775729/Gus_3.png#.UMzD1m_AcVQ

Re-watch the fight, you don't know what you're talking about.

Back pedaling uppercut motherfucker.

view.php

Here is the link if the image isn't working: http://www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1775713/Gus_1.png#.UMzCmG_AcVQ

Do you even watch the fights? Do you watch them with your eyes closed?

you have one example of each and you act like he does it all the time...

22634536.jpg

do these look like backpedaling uppercuts?

1.gif

4.gif

205qxhi.jpg

he's either standing in the pocket or moving forward in all of those, you f'cking skid-mark.

There's no winnable distance for Machida to win this fight. He gets picked apart by superior reach if he tries to stay elusive, smashed to bits if he tries to put pressure in the middle range and tossed to the ground if he tries to wrestle. Just a horrible, horrible match up for him.

I mean, he can't even win against guys who supposedly works much better for him at his preferred distance (Page and Shogun) but some of you guys expect him to "destroy" a much bigger, much more mobile and much more technical version of those guys?

Yeah ok.

Alexander has better boxing, taller, better chin, equally good with kicks, and has youth over Machida.

That being said, Machida is phenomenal at distance so the reach advantage might not matter; it is a great fight, but I would confidently favor Alexander.

Let's add reach and power too :icon_chee

Peoples imho just don't realize that Shogun was a way worse match up for Gus
Shogun forced him to play in his habitat (pressure, brawl, chin test power shots), against Machida Alex will fight in a style that let him use his traditional straight boxing

Basically they will do a straight punches battle where Gus got every possible advantage aside speed

Alexander has better boxing, taller, better chin, equally good with kicks, and has youth over Machida.

That being said, Machida is phenomenal at distance so the reach advantage might not matter; it is a great fight, but I would confidently favor Alexander.

Better boxing, taller, better chin, ok. But better kicks than Machida? What you been smoking

Do you want me to go dig up 12434 more picture pages of this shit, or maybe if you, you know, watched the fights, then you would know what the fuck you're talking about.

22634536.jpg

do these look like backpedaling uppercuts?

1.gif

4.gif

205qxhi.jpg

he's either standing in the pocket or moving forward in all of those, you f'cking skid-mark.

Yeah, usually when you have guys on the ropes, you don't move backwards, but I wouldn't expect someone of your level of intelligence to pick up on such an obvious point.

BTW- Those last two finishes were all uppercuts (SHOCKER!). I mean, jesus christ, the Diabate finish he steps back and throws the upper cut. What the fuck is wrong with you? If nothing else, it shows he loves him some uppercuts and can clearly finish fights with them. All you've done is support my argument that he throws lots of uppercuts. His bait and step back uppercut is his best punch and he throws it a lot (not sure how you don't see him use it all the fucking time). Good try, good effort though.

Have you refuted anything I've said about Gus? No. It's all bullshit and nonsense coming from you.

I'm actually rewatching the Vlady fight, because unlike you, I, you know, don't talk out of my ass. Gus throws that uppercut at 3:40 of the 1st round. He baits Vlad in takes a step back and lets loose. His finish of Vlady was beautiful. He fakes like he is going to close the distance, which baits Vlady, causing him to charge in recklessly. He then takes a quick step forward and Vlady runs right into his fist. A technique that would make Machida proud.

Against Hamill it is literally the 2nd strike that Gus throws. :rolleyes:

He stays back, baits Hamill in, steps forward, throws the punch as he's leaning back and circles away. He steps forward and throws another uppercut at 3:25. He throws the bait step back uppercut again at 3:15...motherfucker I'm done with this shit. If you don't know that's Gus' go-to strike then you just do't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Last edited:
Machida, as well as Rashad, would tool him.

Do you want me to go dig up 12434 more picture pages of this shit, or maybe if you, you know, watched the fights, then you would know what the fuck you're talking about.

Yeah, usually when you have guys on the ropes, you don't move backwards, but I wouldn't expect someone of your level of intelligence to pick up on such an obvious point. Good try, good effort though.

Have you refuted anything I've said about Gus? No. It's all bullshit and nonsense coming from you.

I'm actually rewatching the Vlady fight, because unlike you, I you know, don't talk out of my ass. Gus throws that uppercut at 3:40 of the 1st round. He baits Vlad in takes a step back and lets loose. His finish of Vlady was beautiful. He fakes like he is going to close the distance, which baits Vlady, causing him to charge in recklessly. He then takes a quick step forward and Vlady runs right into his fist. A technique that would make Machida proud.

Against Hamill it is literally the 2nd strike that Gus throws. :rolleyes:

He stays back, baits Hamill in, steps forward, throws the punch as he's leaning back and circles away. He steps forward and throws another uppercut at 3:25. He throws the bait step back uppercut again at 3:15...motherfucker I m done with this shit. If you don't know that's Gus' go-to strike then you just do't know what the fuck you're talking about.

what the hell are you talking about, you f'cking jack-ass idiot? i never said that he doesn't throw uppercuts moving backwards, why don't you spend less time clinging from your favorite fighter's nuts and work on your reading comprehension. you claimed that it is his most devastating strike, which the evidence clearly refutes. now please do the world a favor and play a game of chicken with an oncoming train.

Does winning a cautious, close decision count as "destroy"? Because I could see Machida doing that.

what the hell are you talking about, you f'cking jack-ass idiot? i never said that he doesn't throw uppercuts moving backwards, why don't you spend less time clinging from your favorite fighter's nuts and work on your reading comprehension. you claimed that it is his most devastating strike, which the evidence clearly refutes. now please do the world a favor and play a game of chicken with an oncoming train.

The Diabate finish that your dumb ass highlighted was a fucking step back uppercut.

HOOOOO-LEEEEE FUUUUUUUCK!

You said:

Which is clearly wrong, and now you're admitting that's wrong, but somehow I'm still an asshole who has no idea what he's talking about? Beep-Boop: Logic? I guess?

Back