Who Else Thinks That Machida Would Destroy Gustafsson

No you dense prick, you're the idiot. Gus is being talked of as if he is the heir apparent to Bones, and thus he is wildly overrated, as the level of guys below Jones would destroy him, never mind Jones himself.

Rashad would take Gus down and dominate him, almost as easily as Phil Davis did. Hendo would probably knock him out, Dan is a cut above.

quit getting your panties in a bunch you insecure piece of sh't. the only person to beat shogun more impressively than gustafsson in recent memory was jones, and shogun was in much better shape vs alex than he was vs jon. if you're saying rashad would take gustafsson down "as easily as phil davis" you obviously have no clue what happened in that fight. davis was stuffed on all of his shots. the only time he managed to get gustafsson down was when alex tried a td on phil but got reversed. henderson on the other hand would get dominated the same way he was vs shogun in the fifth. the only difference this time is that he wouldn't be getting gnp'ed by a gassed opponent. he'd probably get choked out or tko'd.

Rashad would take Gus down and Gus would stay down until Rashad decided to let him up. Phil Davis had absolutely nothing for Rashad, and he mauled "The Mauler." MMA math might usually be terrible, but in this instance I think it's safe to make that assumption.

mma math is usually terrible, but this is a notch below that. alex and phil's fight was close to 3 years ago. gustafsson was not even a full time mixed martial artist at that time. since then he's gotten much better, and even then davis was struggling to take him down. also, did you bother to watch that fight, or evans's fight vs phil? davis looked completely lost because rashad was completely ignoring his striking. that let 'shad go for td's much more easily. if he tried the same strategy vs gustafsson he'd get his head knocked off.

so you say he'd lose to 4 top 5 guys, and that makes gustafsson overrated? you sir, are an idiot.

also, he'd whip rashad's and hendo's asses.

He's not overrated, but I'd count him as an underdog to Rashad and Machida, but even money with Hendo.

mma math is usually terrible, but this is a notch below that. alex and phil's fight was close to 3 years ago. gustafsson was not even a full time mixed martial artist at that time. since then he's gotten much better, and even then davis was struggling to take him down. also, did you bother to watch that fight, or evans's fight vs phil? davis looked completely lost because rashad was completely ignoring his striking. that let 'shad go for td's much more easily. if he tried the same strategy vs gustafsson he'd get his head knocked off.

I think Rashad will be able to strike with Gus. Gus is obviously more technical with his hands, but to act like Shad's stand up hasn't improved at all is to grant one thing to Gus, while ignoring the improvement's in Shad's game.

Shad is also on a whole other level than Davis in terms of MMA wrestling. It's one thing to say Gus has improved his TDD significantly, but in my mind he'd have to improve his TDD significantly from the Davis fight just to avoid getting absolutely rag dolled by Shad.

evans was able to shoot on phil because he had absolutely no respect for davis's striking. he won't have that luxury if he were to face gustafsson. alex's striking would force rashad to choose his shots more carefully, while at the same time he'd have to be very careful with what's been a porous striking defense because if gustafsson catches him he'd get ko'd.

Okay the first part of your argument I agree, Evans would not be as comfortable shooting in on Alexander; therefore, it can potentially make it more difficult for Rashad to get him to the ground. I would slightly agree with Rashad having a porous striking defense, but not entirely. Rashad has been improving in this area, training with guys like Tyron Spong has made Rashad more comfortable in the pocket and helped him develop a proper striking defense. Other than those vicious elbows from Jon Jones in their fight, Rashad did decent job at staying away from big punches. I think you went on a slippery slope when you said that Rashad gets KO'd by Gustafsson if he gets caught. Alexander would most defintely land punches if they fought, but that doesn't suggest that he would finish him. Rashad has only been finished once in his entire career, he deserves more credit than you are offering him in that inquiry. Nevertheless, I can picture Alexander winning in the fashion that you have suggested, but I believe that it is more likely that Rashad out grapples Alexander than the former happening.

No, I don't think so.
I think that Gus is the second best LHW right now.
And I think you are trolling.

He's not overrated, but I'd count him as an underdog to Rashad and Machida, but even money with Hendo.

people are severely overrating rashad. i know he's a bad-ass, but his wins are somewhat meh. if he can't grind somebody these days, he's going to have a hard time winning. that might work against someone who's got average defensive grappling, or someone who isn't a threat to put his lights out on the feet, but against a well rounded fighter with dangerous striking, evans is going to struggle. that's why i think he'd lose to fighters like gustafsson, shogun, and machida, but beat most other lhw's.

Gustafsson is laughably overrated on here. He would lose to Machida, Rashad, Hendo and Jones.

I'm sure you were one of those who had Shogun knocking him out, huh? I gave Gus a slight edge through the first 8 minutes and then he completely dominated the last 7, and visibly hurt Shogun twice in the last round. If anything you are laughably underrating him. IMO Gus is a favorite over Machida and Hendo, a slight dog to Rashad, and about 2:1 dog against Jones.

It's funny to see some people still clinging to the notion that Gus doesn't have good TDD. Davis struggled to take him down, Matyushenko never got close enough to take him down, neither did Hammill, and Shogun got him down once for all of about 5 seconds. He works with Davis all the time, and if his TDD was solid before working with Davis can't we just assume it's only going to get better in the 2.5 years since he started training with him?

Gus really has no weakness other then maybe a bit overconfidence in his ability to roll with punches, which can certainly catch up with him against somebody like Hendo or Rashad who throw bombs.

Okay the first part of your argument I agree, Evans would not be as comfortable shooting in on Alexander; therefore, it can potentially make it more difficult for Rashad to get him to the ground. I would slightly agree with Rashad having a porous striking defense, but not entirely. Rashad has been improving in this area, training with guys like Tyron Spong has made Rashad more comfortable in the pocket and helped him develop a proper striking defense. Other than those vicious elbows from Jon Jones in their fight, Rashad did decent job at staying away from big punches. I think you went on a slippery slope when you said that Rashad gets KO'd by Gustafsson if he gets caught. Alexander would most defintely land punches if they fought, but that doesn't suggest that he would finish him. Rashad has only been finished once in his entire career, he deserves more credit than you are offering him in that inquiry. Nevertheless, I can picture Alexander winning in the fashion that you have suggested, but I believe that it is more likely that Rashad out grapples Alexander than the former happening.

Gustafsson is a great fighter, but guys like Thiago Silva and Shogun are tailor made for his striking game, and I think that has made him look a little bit better than he is on the feet.

Gus likes to bait guys into charging at him, swinging wildly, while he picks them apart with counter strikes as he back pedals (he loves him some pedaling uppercuts). Shogun and Thiago were both more than willing to charge forward and swing wildly. Shad is a lot more patient than that, and won't play directly into Gus' strength and game plan like Shogun and Thiago did.

The key to fighting Gus on the feet is to ignore his flailing arms and fakes, not rush in, and make him bring the fight to you. Shad can be a devastating counter striker when he's on his game, and he's not going to engage recklessly. Both things are pluses for fighting against Gus.

Edit: I should also add that Rashad has the best take down set ups of anyone not named Georges, so while fighting at a distance is definitely a weakness in Shad's game, he is more than capable of getting inside on guys. Mother of god, just look at some of the combinations he used to set up take downs on Page. They were brilliant.

Last edited:
Matt Hamill was going to expose Gus' TDD.
Diabate was going to expose Gus' striking.
Shogun was going to expose Gus' chin.
Machida will/would expose Gus' everything.

And so the tune goes on.

I do think Machida would have a good shot at beating Gus, but destroying is just nuthugging. Of which there is a lot when it comes to Machida.

No, UD maybe

In a five rounder Gus would have plenty of time to catch him.

i agree that evans has been training with some very talented strikers to improve his striking, but it didn't seem to take him to a different level vs jones. he was spamming overhand rights, and aside from a very nice head-kick i didn't see much else. he got very careless when he tried playing paddy-cake with jones and paid the price in that exchange. that tells me that he still has some holes to cover up. also, yes he's only been finished by machida, but he drastically changed his style after that, and he got some favorable match ups along the way. despite that, he still got rocked a few times since then (vs jones, rampage, and silva). tito and davis weren't able to, but they aren't exactly known for their power.

i have a hard time seeing evans being able to keep gustafsson down even if he managed to score a td based on what i've heard/read about alex's defensive wrestling. guys he's trained with have said he has a ridiculous ability to get back to his feet against anyone. you could take that with a grain of salt, but i liked what i saw vs shogun, and his fights before that he showed some good tdd as well.

Gus has a long way to go before he can strike with Machida.

I'd see Machida as more likely to get a ko/tko than Gus. But it wouldn't be a destruction.

I think Machida would win.

Back