Who am I?

*tips hat*
ya, no one talks much about ortiz, sort of forgotten about, they came close to putting together a fight with him and duran, duran would have been too young probably at the time.

ya, no one talks much about ortiz, sort of forgotten about, they came close to putting together a fight with him and duran, duran would have been too young probably at the time.

Peak LW Duran against peak LW Ortiz would have been quite something to behold.

Ortiz fought tons of bad motherfuckers. The most stacked resume among forgotten fighters.

Peak LW Duran against peak LW Ortiz would have been quite something to behold.

Ortiz fought tons of bad motherfuckers. The most stacked resume among forgotten fighters.
probably just the era he fought in, by the time of duran, i think ortiz was done and was quitting in his fights. I never got to watch a whole lot of his stuff but the docu i saw the latin legends was great and had good footage of him.

probably just the era he fought in, by the time of duran, i think ortiz was done and was quitting in his fights. I never got to watch a whole lot of his stuff but the docu i saw the latin legends was great and had good footage of him.

He quit against Buchanan in his last fight. Can't really call him a chicken considering the murderer's row he went through, IMO.

Moore had more than 17 years of boxing... I think him and Roberto Duran are the only two boxers that competed in 5 decades... Roy Jones Jr will probably get there, as he had his debut in 1989.

*correction - I mistook Moore for Jack Johnson. Him and Duran competed in 5 different decades.

He quit against Buchanan in his last fight. Can't really call him a chicken considering the murderer's row he went through, IMO.
i wouldn't call anyone a quitter, i'm just saying he probably wasn't up to a young duran at that time.

also, in the docu, he claimed len matthews gave him his toughest fight.

i wouldn't call anyone a quitter, i'm just saying he probably wasn't up to a young duran at that time.

Absolutely. I wish they could have fought at their peak, but fighting young Duran if you can't last against Buchanan is probably a bad decision.

I think this is a tough one..
My real last name sounds like an extra from the Godfather, but I didn't use it in the ring. My dad was Sicilian and I was 1 of 9 kids. I grew out of the NY area and was the NY GG champion.

My manager is best known for managing one of Larry Holmes’ victims. I was a WBC champ for less than a year. My biggest win was my last fight, a split decision against a Puerto Rican great. In both my losses I was stopped, one time by a HoF legend who was one of the best fighters ever. We both threw rights and his landed flush. I got up but Mills Land had to pull him off me.

I think this is a tough one..
My real last name sounds like an extra from the Godfather, but I didn't use it in the ring. My dad was Sicilian and I was 1 of 9 kids. I grew out of the NY area and was the NY GG champion.

My manager is best known for managing one of Larry Holmes’ victims. I was a WBC champ for less than a year. My biggest win was my last fight, a split decision against a Puerto Rican great. In both my losses I was stopped, one time by a HoF legend who was one of the best fighters ever. We both threw rights and his landed flush. I got up but Mills Land had to pull him off me.

Billy Costello

Billy Costello

damn right, I thought that won would linger for a bit. nicely done.

Anyone looking for good boxing read, the Hauser book Black Lights about Costello is great.

I spent my first 18 fights mostly fighting nobodies. After that, I lost a very close and contentious fight to the champ. I rematched him a little later and blew him out in three. From there on out I had one of the most dominant runs in my divisions history, beating many a good fighters. Eventually, my boredom and lack of discipline (I was a famous party boy) caused me to retire. However, financial issues quickly forced me out of retirement. Following my return from retirement, i fought three times for a world title, coming very close each time. In my last fight, I came closest, but age and wars had caught up to me and I was stopped within seconds of beating the champ. In tears, I finally retired and called it a career.

Duran would have beaten him, but it would have been a fight for the decades.

Back