Who am I?

Not a usual Who am I Post, but Mike Tyson tells something interesting here around 2:20

Can you think of boxers who knocked out world class boxers early on in their career and then didn't go anywhere? I wonder who Mike was thinking of.

On his 4th pro fight Arguello got KOed by a debuting guy who never fought again.

On his 4th pro fight Arguello got KOed by a debuting guy who never fought again.

Good call.

I just saw that Benny Leonard got stopped in his debut against a guy who retired shortly after... Leonard also got knocked out in his 12th fight against a boxer that didn't go anywhere.

Henry Armstrong got knocked out in his debut. He went 1-4 in his first year as a pro. A lot people would have probably quit at that point.

Harry Greb got knocked out in his first year.

Good call.

I just saw that Benny Leonard got stopped in his debut against a guy who retired shortly after... Leonard also got knocked out in his 12th fight against a boxer that didn't go anywhere.

Henry Armstrong got knocked out in his debut. He went 1-4 in his first year as a pro. A lot people would have probably quit at that point.

Harry Greb got knocked out in his first year.

Interesting. There has to be some kind of balance between overprotecting a fighter and having a young, promising guy get KOed that early. Properly managing a boxer is no easy task.

I turned pro in 1981 and am arguably my country's greatest fighter. I finished my career with 45 wins, but less than half by KO. Although i won a world title in my homeland, and I defended my title a record 12 times for my weightclass, I never got to defend in my home country. I lost my 7th fight and never lost again. I was known for my work rate and conditioning.

I turned pro in 1981 and am arguably my country's greatest fighter. I finished my career with 45 wins, but less than half by KO. Although i won a world title in my homeland, and I defended my title a record 12 times for my weightclass, I never got to defend in my home country. I lost my 7th fight and never lost again. I was known for my work rate and conditioning.

Brian Mitchell

I am regarded as one of the best southpaws ever, and fought in front of an estimated crowd just shy of 100,000. I am known for my boxing, brawling and body attack, although I credited my success to my slow heart rate. I held a belt for a long time, was inducted into the HOF, but died prematurely from cancer. I retired in my 20s, and made an ill fated comeback. My first loss was by DQ, but I stopped him in a rematch. My first "loss" was a grueling affair to a Japanese fighter in Mexico.

I am regarded as one of the best southpaws ever, and fought in front of an estimated crowd just shy of 100,000. I am known for my boxing, brawling and body attack, although I credited my success to my slow heart rate. I held a belt for a long time, was inducted into the HOF, but died prematurely from cancer. I retired in my 20s, and made an ill fated comeback. My first loss was by DQ, but I stopped him in a rematch. My first "loss" was a grueling affair to a Japanese fighter in Mexico.
Vicente Saldivar?

Vincente Saldivar

I was one half of a colorful 1970s/80s management duo, not averse to promotional histrionics involving showgirls or dwarves.

Despite working with 5 world heavyweight champions, I am perhaps most enduringly associated with 2 fighters who failed to win world titles.

One of whom was the toast of Montreal.

Who Am I?

I was one half of a colorful 1970s/80s management duo, not averse to promotional histrionics involving showgirls or dwarves.

Despite working with 5 world heavyweight champions, I am perhaps most enduringly associated with 2 fighters who failed to win world titles.

One of whom was the toast of Montreal.

Who Am I?

You made it too easy Sweet.

The Hammer and I could sell the building out when we fought in it, although please bear in mind my trunks weren't designed in tribute to this former HW champion as he was no friend of mine.

Who am I?

William "Hammer" Jones vs Eric Holland in the Blue Horizon?

You got the right city, Sweet.

Reading my post again I was extremely vague, so maybe this will help. The Hammer and I fought in different sports, but during the same time.

The Hammer and I could sell the building out when we fought in it, although please bear in mind my trunks weren't designed in tribute to this former HW champion as he was no friend of mine.

Who am I?
Confusing question. Are you asking for the guy the Hammer fought or the champ that wasn't his friend?

You got the right city, Sweet.

Reading my post again I was extremely vague, so maybe this will help. The Hammer and I fought in different sports, but during the same time.
Didn't see it was answered.

Back