Who am I?

I was a big puncher and hte first champion from my country. I fought mostly out of Japan, though I wasn't afraid to hit the road. I was a successful amateur. Eventually I went pro, winning a title from a South African then defending it 6 times, beating some nobodies and also some solid contenders. After 5 years as champ, I was eventually decisioned by a Frenchman and retired afterwards. I never got to unify with the top names of my era, which is a real shame. Still, though most Americans didn't know me, I was on at least one major publications P4P list. And no, I'm not Borat.

Oruzbek Nazarov.

<GinJuice>

Snooooooooooooooppppppp

A guy fighting out of Japan is unlikely to be huge. France had a decent batch of fighters at 135 and 140 25 years ago, I just gave it a thought.

A guy fighting out of Japan is unlikely to be huge. France had a decent batch of fighters at 135 and 140 25 years ago, I just gave it a thought.
yeah I can only think of a few guys who aren't Japanese who fought out of Japan and even less who lose to Frenchmen XD

I may have an edge regarding halfway decent French fighters from a few decades ago.
Speaking of which, I still can't figure out yours. I wanna say Mormeck but Haye doesn't fit into the losses.

I was born in Africa, but I competed as a Frenchman. I'm in the discussion for the lower top 10 or top 15 ATG in my main weightclass. My first career loss was a decision at a heavier weight, and the second and last was a questionable disqualification on the champion's turf - after 5 point deductions -, before I got to stop him twice. I wasn't the heaviest hitter, nor was I very technical, but my stamina and workrate were quite something. I was still a world tiltist when I retired, and my last title defense was against an undefeated South-american in his backyard ; he won the title later on.
Marcel Cerdan

But Wamba has 2 losses. Didn't you write that he had 3? (Second and last).

But Wamba has 2 losses. Didn't you write that he had 3? (Second and last).

My bad if it implies that these are 2 different fights. English isn't my native language...

I lost my fourth pro fight via a 6 round decision but then beat a future heavyweight champion twice back to back before going 16-1 & being one fight away from facing Muhammad Ali for the title. Unfortunately, I was crushed early in the elimination fight & only fought once afterward before retiring at 17-2 with eye issues. Who am I?

Last edited:
I lost my fourth pro fight via a 6 round decision but then beat a future heavyweight champion twice back to back before going 16-1 & being one fight away from facing Muhammad Ali for the title. Unfortunately, I was crushed early in the elimination fight & only fought once afterward before retiring at 17-2 with eye issues. Who am I?

Howard Smith

Back