Who am I?

I used to have a bit of a fascination with him from way back when. Probably stems from that old Title Bout board game that came out in the late 70's as he was one of only a handful of heavyweights who received a max rating of 10 for power on his card. The others were the obvious ones (Shavers, Foreman, etc), but then there was this Jeff Merritt guy who had that rating to. I must have been like "Who the hell is Jeff Merritt?".

I used to have a bit of a fascination with him from way back when. Probably stems from that old Title Bout board game that came out in the late 70's as he was one of only a handful of heavyweights who received a max rating of 10 for power on his card. The others were the obvious ones (Shavers, Foreman, etc), but then there was this Jeff Merritt guy who had that rating to. I must have been like "Who the hell is Jeff Merritt?".

My memory could very well be messed up since it's been 35 years since I had that game. But I think they also referred to Merritt as some sort of "white hope" in the description on the back of his card as well.

I've been playing Fight Night Champion.
Not a card game but the last boxing video game they made.
They put it back on XBOX One, since it came out for Xbox360 in 2011, and the demand for a boxing game has been picking up so they decided to release it again.

Anyone playing it?

I've been playing Fight Night Champion.
Not a card game but the last boxing video game they made.
They put it back on XBOX One, since it came out for Xbox360 in 2011, and the demand for a boxing game has been picking up so they decided to release it again.

Anyone playing it?

I never played that one, DJ, although I almost picked it up a few years ago for my PS3 when they were selling it for like $5 on the PS store. I think the roster wasn't to my liking though.

The last boxing video game I had was Fight Night Round 3 I think it was. The one with Ward and Gatti on the cover. PS2 era game.

I never played that one, DJ, although I almost picked it up a few years ago for my PS3 when they were selling it for like $5 on the PS store. I think the roster wasn't to my liking though.

The last boxing video game I had was Fight Night Round 3 I think it was. The one with Ward and Gatti on the cover. PS2 era game.
Yea, they had an ok roster. There old ones had better ones.

I was using Old Man Foreman when I fought my friends.
Young Foreman in that game, when you unlock him is a beast.

My memory could very well be messed up since it's been 35 years since I had that game. But I think they also referred to Merritt as some sort of "white hope" in the description on the back of his card as well.

Damn, you must have a memory like mine! That game definitely did describe Merritt as a "white hope" on his card. I've still got the game stored away in my closet with much of the rest of my boxing memorabilia collection.
I never played it much because the rules were too convoluted for my family & friends to understand & they got bored with it quickly.

I was stopped in my 2nd pro fight. I didn’t even win 60% of my fights, and had a losing record after13 fights. At 24-13, having lost 3 of 4 fights, I traveled to a undefeated fighter’s homeland and took his HW international belt. I lost 6 of my last 9 and retired. I fought in the US, Japan, Mexico, South Africa, Denmark, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, and Germany.

I was stopped in my 2nd pro fight. I didn’t even win 60% of my fights, and had a losing record after13 fights. At 24-13, having lost 3 of 4 fights, I traveled to a undefeated fighter’s homeland and took his HW international belt. I lost 6 of my last 9 and retired. I fought in the US, Japan, Mexico, South Africa, Denmark, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, and Germany.

Ross Puritty

I was born to a mixed race couple. I took up boxing but refused an invitation to fight in the Olympics trials. I fought almost 100 times, with 50 wins by KO. I was never stopped. The mongoose and Eddie Futch named me the best ever. Yet, I never won a title. I’ve been compared to RJJ, but with a better jab. Conn, Robinson and Cerdan are all rumored to have ducked me.

I was born to a mixed race couple. I took up boxing but refused an invitation to fight in the Olympics trials. I fought almost 100 times, with 50 wins by KO. I was never stopped. The mongoose and Eddie Futch named me the best ever. Yet, I never won a title. I’ve been compared to RJJ, but with a better jab. Conn, Robinson and Cerdan are all rumored to have ducked me.

Charley Burley

Robinson ducking was the give away, I bet.

You lose that bet, Muslim hater. Everything starting from "The mongoose" rang a bell.

I was born in Africa, but I competed as a Frenchman. I'm in the discussion for the lower top 10 or top 15 ATG in my main weightclass. My first career loss was a decision at a heavier weight, and the second and last was a questionable disqualification on the champion's turf - after 5 point deductions -, before I got to stop him twice. I wasn't the heaviest hitter, nor was I very technical, but my stamina and workrate were quite something. I was still a world tiltist when I retired, and my last title defense was against an undefeated South-american in his backyard ; he won the title later on.

I was born in Africa, but I competed as a Frenchman. I'm in the discussion for the lower top 10 or top 15 ATG in my main weightclass. My first career loss was a decision at a heavier weight, and the second and last was a questionable disqualification on the champion's turf - after 5 point deductions -, before I got to stop him twice. I wasn't the heaviest hitter, nor was I very technical, but my stamina and workrate were quite something. I was still a world tiltist when I retired, and my last title defense was against an undefeated South-american in his backyard ; he won the title later on.
Boudouani?

I was a big puncher and hte first champion from my country. I fought mostly out of Japan, though I wasn't afraid to hit the road. I was a successful amateur. Eventually I went pro, winning a title from a South African then defending it 6 times, beating some nobodies and also some solid contenders. After 5 years as champ, I was eventually decisioned by a Frenchman and retired afterwards. I never got to unify with the top names of my era, which is a real shame. Still, though most Americans didn't know me, I was on at least one major publications P4P list. And no, I'm not Borat.

Back